Margarito vs Cotto- Dec 3rd

jimdgoulding

Margarito vs Cotto- Dec 3rd
« on: 26 Nov 2011, 04:00 pm »
These guys fought like three years ago with Margarito destroying Cotto who spent the night in a hospital.  Pacman destroyed Margarito a year ago.  Cotto has been spectacular since.  I'm taking Cotto in a grudge match.  On 24/7 it looks like Margarito is having a super camp and I'm sure he'll have lots of confidence going in.  I just can't help but think that will change during the course of the fight.  Cotto in a stoppage.

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Margarito vs Cotto- Dec 3rd
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:06 pm »
Cotto was stopped by Pacman since then. Margarito took a lot of punishment against Mosley and Pacquiao.  Both guys have taken hellacious beatings.  It should be another blood and guts brawl just the same :thumb:.  I can't decide in this one.  I'll be rooting for Cotto but I have a feeling Margarito wins again.

In case you aren't aware, Margarito was caught with plaster in his hand wraps just before his fight with Mosley so there is a bit of a question mark over the first Cotto Margarito fight.

Alvarez vs Cintron should be a pretty good one tonite.  I like Alvarez but Cintron is a step up for him...   

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:11 pm »
 Cotto took the whole thing personally. He was undefeated before that night Margarito beat him with hardened fist wraps. I think Cotto is going to go in there with red in his eye.

Margarito is a bucket of slime. Neither he nor anyone in his camp can cop to the proven fact they cheated. I don't think he realizes that he can't lie his way out of this, he needed to cop to it years ago and apologize, would have saved some of his dignity.

I hope Cotto gives him a good thrashing.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2011, 09:25 pm »
Cotto took the whole thing personally. He was undefeated before that night Margarito beat him with hardened fist wraps. I think Cotto is going to go in there with red in his eye.

Margarito is a bucket of slime. Neither he nor anyone in his camp can cop to the proven fact they cheated. I don't think he realizes that he can't lie his way out of this, he needed to cop to it years ago and apologize, would have saved some of his dignity.

I hope Cotto gives him a good thrashing.

That question will never be settled.  Were the wraps only loaded that one time? Did Margarito know?  Some knowledgeable people, such as Douglass Fischer at the Ring magazine, believe that it is possible for a fighter to completely "zone out" of what is going on around him while he gets his hands wrapped and thus not be aware of the cheat.  Some theorize that Marg's trainer, knowing he had had a terrible training camp, took things into his own hands out of desperation...

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2011, 09:33 pm »
I watched all the 24/7's including the one with Manny. It's the fact that NOBODY will admit, it's "they just materialized out of nowhere and how could we have known?", not one person will cop to it, meaning to me they are all culpable.

And there is a photo of Margarito's hand wrap after the Cotto fight and it looks like it's hardened material. He was probably doing it all along.

He won't even admit that it was wrong for it to happen, he calls it "excuses" and "crying" from the other guys.

Ever since he has been caught, he has been slaughtered in the ring, so you tell me.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm »
Margarito's trainer did own up to it here http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/124655-capetillo-breaks-silence-apologizes-for-hand-wrap-scandal.  Tony did lose in two of his three outings since the incident but to top fighters Mosley and Margarito, a step up in his competition.  While the hands are being wrapped there is usually the opposing fighter's trainer present as well as reps of the local boxing commission who sign the wraps once completed.  I just don't see how they could pull off the cheat once, never mind repeatedly.  YMMV.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2011, 11:29 pm »
Yeah, I know about the hand wrap controversy, but on the 3rd don't think there will be any of that.  I didn't know that Cotto lost a fight in the interim.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:48 am »
I didn't know that Cotto lost a fight in the interim.

He was down twice in the fight (rounds 3 and 4) with the ref finally waving it off in the 12th.  He took some punishment...

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2011, 05:57 am »
Cotto is not going down in this one, he's going to exact some vengeance.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:16 am »
That question will never be settled.  Were the wraps only loaded that one time? Did Margarito know?  Some knowledgeable people, such as Douglass Fischer at the Ring magazine, believe that it is possible for a fighter to completely "zone out" of what is going on around him while he gets his hands wrapped and thus not be aware of the cheat.  Some theorize that Marg's trainer, knowing he had had a terrible training camp, took things into his own hands out of desperation...
One of the boxing magazines, forget which one, which interviewed fighters on this question had this to say: "All of the fighters agreed on one thing: They knew exactly how their hands were wrapped."
I think Margacheato fought Cotto with loaded gloves. Cotto wasn't just beaten,he was busted up. Same with Kermit Cintron- not just beaten, busted up. Neither had a rep as a "bleeder". This (Margarito) is a guy who was a thoroughly average fighter for the first half of his career; then he suddenly turned into a knockout monster. Suuuuuuure. They should make him shave his beard too.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:17 am »
Yeah, I know about the hand wrap controversy, but on the 3rd don't think there will be any of that.  I didn't know that Cotto lost a fight in the interim.
Ironically, both lost to Pacquiao since the first fight.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2011, 01:40 pm »
Well, I don't see proof either way on the hand wrap thing in the Cotto fight.  It's not like Margarito hit Cotto with a sledgehammer and got a one punch KO.  Looking at the PunchStat report Margarito landed 237 power punches on Cotto.  I could probably bust up Cotto if I landed 237 power punches on him :lol:...  FWIW Cotto landed 179 power punches on Margarito with little effect.  Margarito said this week that Cotto hits like a little girl(those are fighting words).  Pacquiao on the other hand busted up Margarito's face big time...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2011, 01:48 pm »
Margarito has something to prove and has no fear of Cotto.  He could prevail.  I don't doubt that he is ready.  I wouldn't be making a war out of it early were I Cotto.  We shall see.

ddemeterio5

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2011, 03:13 pm »
Both men have something to prove.  The cheater and a boxer accusing the other of cheating.  All I gotta say is Cotto better win this one or be forever branded as the whining crybaby who couldn't take a loss.

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2011, 03:43 pm »
I expect Cotto to test out Margarito's surgically repaired eye.  I'm not very excited about this fight but will watch it eventually.  Nither fighter is the best in class.  I'm rooting for Cotto but would not be surprised if either man won. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2011, 10:48 pm »
  I'm not very excited about this fight but will watch it eventually.  Nither fighter is the best in class. 

Give me two evenly matched guys who go at each other Arthuro Gatti style and I am a happy camper.  There have been a lot of best in class snooze fests lately :D.

As a small aside,  Sebastian Lujan, who is on the undercard, fought Margarito in 2005.  One of the most gruesome fights I have seen.  Here is how BoxRec describes the end of the fight: " - Referee stopped fight so that the doctor could examine Luján's left ear, which was disattaching from his head, from the top of the ear down to the middle, where it was flapping as he moved. Luján's corner then threw in the towel. The same ear had bled the two previous rounds, which the ESPN announcers said was possibly from the inner ear.".

Lujan actually sparred with Margarito leading up to Saturday's event:  "This is not the first time that I've worked with Margarito. I worked with him before and helped him as a sparring partner. It's a pleasure being around him." . 

Berto

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2011, 10:54 pm »
Pumped. Just got invited to a buddies co. luxury box for the fight. Gonna be a good battle!

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2011, 11:20 pm »
Hey guys, I reserve the right to change my mind...and I just did!  I'm getting excited about this fight and look forward to it.  Also, I'm not a complete idiot, those typos are from my iPhone!  My up close vision is not what it used to be and I often can't spot misspelled words on my iPhone!

Cheers,

J

mjosef

« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2011, 01:13 am »
Margarito's right eye looks pretty freaky to me (from the 24/7) its like that eye is misaligned in relation to the left.
I am favoring Cotto to get the better of Margarito in this rematch. The Pacman  just one year ago beat him to a pulp...that memory is still fresh in his psyche.
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2011, 02:37 am by mjosef »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2011, 02:46 am »
I might as well give my prediction, for what it is worth :wink:.  Last fight Cotto's punches didn't have much effect on Margarito so I figure he will try to box him.  If Pacquiao hasn't ruined him I think Margarito will keep the pressure on Cotto and we will end up with the same result as the first fight...