PR3 high performance regulator modules

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
PR3 high performance regulator modules
« on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:35 pm »
Hi Folks,

Another high performance module for your DIY upgrades is the PR3. It is very versatile and can be set up for a wide variety of applications by selecting voltage and current ratings of the key components like the output mosfet and the onboard capacitors and rectifiers. Current delivery up to 5 amps continuous, 50 amps peak is available if the appropriate components are used.

The regulator is a proprietary discrete component design offering exceptional performance. The error amplifier devices have an operating bandwidth of 90 MHz which is further extended by cascode operation, and a noise spec of 0.5 nanovolts root Hz with a noise corner of 1 Hz (ideal for noise critical clock circuits in digital equipment).

Shown in the photograph is the PR3HD-30 with a heavy duty IXYS mosfet output device, for use with the Virtue amplifiers. There is a review of this module at the link :-

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/hynes_psu_e.html

When set up for 18v5 it will power the Mac Mini. It can also be set up for 3v3, 5v and 12v (three modules) for powering audio server computer motherboards and hard drives in place of switching power supplies. When set for 6v3 or 12v6 it can be used for valve heaters. There is also a version on a different board for valve HT supplies up to 450 volts.

The PR3HD-30 version costs £120 plus carriage. Other versions vary in cost depending on the components required to set up the module and the cost can be quoted once the application requirements are finalised. Low current versions cost from £80. I will be pleased to discuss your application requirements and recommend optimal transformer and heat-sink requirements for the module.

[/img]

Regards
Paul

JohnR

Re: PR3 high performance regulator modules
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:46 pm »
Hi Paul - I'd been meaning to ask you about these... specifically for the Virtue amps, what secondary voltage would you recommend for the power transformer and deg C/W for the heatsink? It doesn't look like much more is required than a case, switch, and fuse.

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2010, 03:16 pm »
Hi John,

For a 30 volt power supply, I would use a minimum transformer rating of 160 VA with two 25 volt secondaries run in parallel, more VA if you have low impedance loudspeakers and/or listen at high levels. A heatsink rating of 1 degree C per watt will be fine. The heat-sink temperature should not exceed 20 degrees above ambient with this size.

Then, as you say, just a case, a switch and a fuse will complete the job. You might want to fit an LED too. There is provision to connect an LED to the supply via an on-board resistor by connecting to the screw terminals in the middle of the board.

If you want to power the new high current version of the Virtue amplifier just uprate the transformer to 300 VA and the heatsink to around 0.7 degrees C per watt.

You will need to apply a thin film of heat transfer compound to the regulator module copper mounting bar face that mates with the heatsink.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards
Paul

multibit16

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2010, 04:45 pm »
PR3 is excellent and proves to be a very handy regulated psu,  I've recently been trying the lower current version as a pre-reg psu to feed the onboard shunts for the B32 dac.
Its hard to describe in words what improvements these PH regs and psu's  bring over off the shelf types  :drool: