CORNET CLASSIC Sale

hagtech

CORNET CLASSIC Sale
« on: 5 Jan 2013, 02:18 am »
I found a bunch of original "Classic" CORNET boards in stock.  So I'm offering them at a hugely discounted price of $69.  Use it to make a MONOGRAM.  You won't find a page listed on the website, but info is here at http://www.hagtech.com/cornet.html.  I'm calling it the "Classic" on the order form so people don't mix it up with the CORNET2.

jh

G E

Re: CORNET CLASSIC Sale
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:24 am »
This looks interesting.  $69 is for just the PC board or does it include the chassis and hardware like the original kit? 

Do you have a guesstimate for parts costs?

I have the Bugle, how does this compare sonically?

Thanks for your help!

Greg

galyons

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2013, 02:03 am »
Not to speak for Jim....but the $69 is for the board.  To fully build out...probably $200-500+ depending on parts selection.  Although the Bugle is great for the price, the Cornet will blow it away!! They are in completely different leagues by several magnitudes.

Cheers,
Geary

G E

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2013, 02:40 am »
Thanks Geary,

I guess it is time to login to DigiKey again and run a BoM.

What alternate enclosure works well with this set up?  I read through some of the reviews on Jim's site and one guy says he used industrial cake pans!  I used my last DirectTV satellite receiver chassis for my Bugle.  [dumped all satellite subscriptions and since I owned the equipment got to keep and repurpose it.  Netflix and AppleTV for those curious as to replacement]

Greg

galyons

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2013, 02:48 am »
Greg,
Search this circle for Cornet2.  There should be many alternatives from complete DIY to off the shelf Hammond.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,
Geary

bregez

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2013, 03:24 am »
I would estimate a cost of around $400.00 for the entire build.  The chassis in the picture looks to be a Hammond, possibly a 12"x8"x2.5" (part # 1444-12825).  Hopefully Jim has an old drill guide with dimensions for this board, this would make chassis fabrication so much easier.  This is a great deal and I may pick up one myself. 
As a side note, resist the urge to buy gold plated sockets.  The gold plating is generally thin and separates from the substrate material causing all sorts of noises in the future you can't get rid of.

Brad

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2013, 03:32 am »

G E

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:17 pm »
I have started ordering parts for my Cornet2 build.  Getting excited.

Looking at sources for tubes, going NOS all the way except I did get the Sovtek 5Y3 from AES to hit the $99 free shipping minimum.  But I will also get the Bendix 6106.

Ran across http://www.nostubestore.com located in Turkey.  Anyone do business with them?

ge
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 08:05 pm by G E »

bean_counter

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2013, 05:46 am »
I bought a few tubes last year from nostubestore, as adverstised, happy with the transaction.  Arrived fairly quickly, considering.