913 Greatest Songs Ever

WGH

913 Greatest Songs Ever
« on: 1 Dec 2014, 05:14 pm »
Yes, the definitive list - 913 Greatest Songs Ever! But this isn't just a stupid list, KXCI is actually playing the last 600 songs all week long in descending order. Live streaming too and always commercial free.

https://kxci.org/2014/11/913-greatest-songs-ever/

The KXCI audience has voted – repeatedly! – to select the 913 Greatest Songs Ever. More than 1,750 votes were cast in the largest online contest in KXCI’s history, and just in time for the celebration their 31st anniversary.

KXCI will begin playing back song #600 on Monday, December 1st at 6am, and continue each weekday from 6am to 6pm Mountain Standard Time (with a break at noon for Democracy Now!) until they get to song #1 on Friday’s edition of The Home Stretch.

Thursday and Friday’s countdown (roughly the Top 200 songs) will coincide with the beginning of a 3-day mini-membership drive.

Don_S

Re: 913 Greatest Songs Ever
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2014, 05:24 pm »
I tried to listen to streaming of that station on my computer but FireFox blocked the "Java Development Toolkit".  I will try using IE.

Update.  Works fine with IE.

WGH,  Thanks for the link.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2014, 05:29 pm »
Wow! I saw the Flaming Lips on that list!   :thumb:

Shakeydeal

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2014, 08:00 pm »
Wow! I saw the Flaming Lips on that list!   :thumb:

That is very unfortunate. Maybe the rest of the list actually refers to music of some sort....... :lol:

Shakey

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2014, 04:09 pm »
What a killer play list! Are you guys listening? I wonder how many songs a brain can remember? I haven't been stumped yet.

Three days to go and down to # 290.

# 292
Ramble On
Led Zeppelin

Aqualung
Jethro Tull

GOT MY MOJO WORKING
Muddy Waters

Feelin' Alright
Joe Cocker

I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE
Carole King

Foxey Lady
Jimi Hendrix

Mellow Yellow
Donovan

I Got You (I Feel Good)
James Brown

THE END
The Doors

My Way
Frank Sinatra

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2014, 01:38 am »
After playing 599 songs over 5 days, the most voted #1 greatest song is......

Imagine by John Lennon

meh

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2014, 10:36 am »
913? Couldn't they pick a few more for an even 1K?  :roll: 8)

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:10 pm »
KXCI 91.3 FM

get it?

Today is KXCI's 31st anniversary. I was here in Tucson when they first started broadcasting. It took 5 years of FCC paperwork to get a new radio station approved and then a year to get equipment installed along with months and months of testing. December 12th was the first full day of music. Many of the volunteer DJ's are in their 60's now and have been with the station from the beginning, they really know their music. The last week's playlist was unique, KXCI is not an oldies station, most of the music played is brand new picked from the best up and coming and established artists.

KXCI probably has the largest and deepest vinyl and CD collection of any radio station in the US plus the DJ's bring in music from their own collections. Nothing is canned, all the music is pulled and played live with real people you can call to make requests.

Late Friday afternoon the DJ also played song #913 - Gigantic by The Pixies.

Wayne

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:55 pm »
913? Couldn't they pick a few more for an even 1K?  :roll: 8)
I was really hoping for 914, but I guess I'll settle.

Thump553

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2014, 08:16 pm »
A station in Pittsburgh did a similar thing back in 2009.  WYEP 91.3 and its "913 Essential Songs" which I really, really enjoyed because it focused more on offbeat quality and pretty much excluded the songs that have been played to death over the years.  What's not to love about such a list that puts a Richard Thompson song in the #2 spot?

Here's a link to that list.  Note it has buy links on each song if you are interested (I have no affiliation with WYEP):

http://www.wyep.org/song-countdowns/913-essential-songs
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 08:26 pm by Thump553 »

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2014, 09:00 pm »
Excellent list  :thumb:

apollophono

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:55 pm »
Browsing quickly I didn't see any thing from Pink Floyd.  With DSOTM as one
of the longest selling albums in the top 100 of all time I'm kind of surprised.

Airborn

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2014, 11:34 pm »
Browsing quickly I didn't see any thing from Pink Floyd.  With DSOTM as one
of the longest selling albums in the top 100 of all time I'm kind of surprised.

You missed it.  There are multiple Pink Floyd songs on the list including several from DSOTM.