60 track FLAC sampler from Moonjune Records

slefty

60 track FLAC sampler from Moonjune Records
« on: 21 Nov 2012, 05:49 am »
I hope this is an okay post. I have no connection to this record company, other than an old school buddy who has released four discs by them. They are offering a 60 track sampler download for $1, and you can choose one of several formats, including full resolution FLAC. Mostly prog jazz and prog rock, all good stuff.  Soon their entire catalog will be available as FLAC downloads pretty reasonably priced. For standard 16/44 releases, most are very high quality.

http://moonjunerecords.bandcamp.com/album/one-dollar-compilation

slefty

Re: 60 track FLAC sampler from Moonjune Records
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2012, 06:15 pm »
Just curious if anyone downloaded this sampler? What did you think of the music?

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2012, 10:27 pm »
I missed this the first time, I'm downloading them now. Will let you know what I think.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2012, 10:50 pm »
Steve,

Welcome to AC.  I'll check it out.

Russ

slefty

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2012, 12:44 am »
Hey Russ, if you like any of them, I can stop by for you to hear the the whole CD they came from. I have them all.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2013, 03:31 pm »
I just found this!!!  Getting ready to download the new Soft Machine "Burden of Proof" and the massive Sampler :green:

What is the best format they currently offer?  FLAC 16/44 or high res?

Found this interview with the owner:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue57/moonjune.htm

Question PFO: Fans of higher-quality music and audio, like most of Positive Feedback's readers, have been getting more and more into hi-rez downloads, like 24/96 or even 24/192. Considering the expense of manufacturing, distributing, and inventorying CDs, have you thought of offering high-resolution downloads instead of, or in addition to, physical media?

Leonardo Pavkovic: After ending my association with EMI Digital, I am currently searching for a new digital distribution outlet. And soon on my website and all my social media sites, I will use a company that specializes in high-resolution downloads. Downloads do not sell, but hey, if I can make 20-30 bucks on each CD through digital sales, welcome! I can't predict the future of the music business, but I believe there will always be demand for physical products. At a certain point I thought that I would never sell anything digital, which is why I left EMI DIgital distribution. The only reason that I will return to regular digital distribution and offer high-resolution downloads on my website through a specialized company is because that would make MoonJune far more discoverable by all search engines—the more info that is out there about anything related to MoonJune, the better for the label and artists. I am not an audiophile freak, and despite the fact that I do not like the idea of a digital world in general, I accept all that. And even though I love old albums and like CDs much better than anything digital, my 2-TB external hard drives are loaded with thousands of albums in m4a Apple Lossless format. Why? I converted most of my collection into digital format for the sake of convenience. I still have my CDs, or most of my CDs, but in my office I have this 2-TB drive and I can play whatever I feel like anytime I want. It's a commodity. I can upload whatever I want onto my iPhone or iPad, travel to Japan or Brazil or India or Italy, and listen to the music that I like from my iTunes library. I remember traveling years ago with burned CDs, just to kill my many long transcontinental flights with music I dig.

simoon

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2013, 10:36 pm »
It is a very good label.

I have quite a bit of what is on the sampler already.

Of course the Holdsworth stuff is good. It's freaking Allan Holdsworth!

DFA is a great prog-fusion band from Italy. They have 4 studio releases in print. Unfortunately their great keyboard player was killed in a traffic accident in Italy a couple of years ago.

Phil Miller was the guitarist from such bands as National Health (the best 'Canterbury' band).

Slivovitz is a very unique fusion band from Naples. Pretty damn inventive stuff.

Arti e Mestieri has one tune (one of their more mellow songs) from a live recording from 2006. Their first album from 1975 (Tilt) is one of the best examples of prog-fusion ever recorded. The playing is incredible, especially the drummer Furio Chrico, now in his late 50's shows no sign of losing his immense chops.

Much of he rest of it is also top quality fusion and prog, leaning toward the avant-garde.

won ton on

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2013, 11:18 pm »
Just picked up Allan Holdsworth's' hard hat area' and 'none too soon' on Moonjune like them alot,also Soft Machine's 'burdon of proof' which i've not listened to yet. It's nice to see someone else has heard of National Health as i have 2 of their disc's on the Esoteric label which is a good label too.