Audio jam at Gary Dodd's...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« on: 7 Nov 2004, 09:18 pm »
It sure a great get together. Special thanks to Gary for hosting it and also to they guys that bought Pizza.  :thumb:

Comparing amps and pre-amps was a lot of fun and very enlightening.

We used a pair of Alpha LS's as reference speakers for all comparisons.

Mark Nash showed off a little chip amp that I think he said he had less than $100. in. It was a 20 watt per channel amp. Not bad sounding and a real steal for what he had in it.

But for a little bit more money there was a small tube amp kit built by Mark Childs. I think he said he spent about $250 in parts on it. Hey guys, what tubes were those? I belive it was rated at 17 watts.

First we tried it with his passive pre-amp. It was not bad. Had a nice tonal balance but really lacked involvement, no dynamics, and a little dry.

Then we tried it with one of Gary's pre-amps and it really came alive. This amp really sounded good across the board. Nice vocals, nice upper end... really musical. This amp went way beyond what any amp should for no more than the cost of the parts. It was clearly greater than the sum of its parts. The only thing this amp lacked was power and headroom to hit high levels.

Mark's hand built all wood chassis looked really good too. I hope someone posts some pics of it.

We also A/B'ed the Ampzilla amps to the Dodd Audio 120 watt mono-blocks.

That was very interesting too, and not completely what I would have expected from the Ampzilla amps.

First I want to thank Dan for bringing them over. Dan was a really nice guy.

The Ampzilla gets the edge in bottom end control and tight bass response, but not by a lot. Most tube amps are pretty soft in the bottom end. Gary's tube amps are quite the contrary. His tube amps are among the best I have ever heard at maintaining a bottom end that will compete with some of the best big solid state amps.

What really surprised me about the Ampzilla was how smooth the vocals sounded. It was a little "tube like" in that regard. This drove me to immediately try some female vocals to see if it handled them as well as the Lyle Lovette. I threw in some Jennifer Warnes right away. While her voice was soft it was really dry and lacked the lushness and emotional evolvement of the 120's.  

Then there were the highs. The highs in the Ampzilla struck me as a bit bright, sharp, edgy, a little grainy, etc. Recreating the sound of a trumpet kind of made me want to say "eeeek". We listened to a few songs at high enough levels that the Red peak lights were popping on and I must say that it was rather fatiguing. I was ready to turn it down.

This was not the kind of amp I could live with or listen to for very long. Not musical to me at all, but it would make a nice sub-woofer amp.

With the Dodd Audio 120's there was a high goose bump factor that really allowing one to connect with the music. Smooth tonal balance with lush vocals and deep layering of instruments and had a way of making acoustic instruments come alive with a high sense of realism just not there with the other amp.

Next we tried a big Denon integrated amp that Marvin brought in. Marvin please tell more about it. I believe he said it was 80 watts into 8 ohms and 160 watts into 4 ohms.

This thing had a typical solid state sound but a nice balance. Nothing stood out that was bad at all, but the sound stage was kind of flat and congested.

Since it had an auxiliary pre-amp input we were able to by-pass the internal pre-amp section and drive it with one of Gary's pre-amps. We hooked up his $450. entry level unit that is based on the Melos 333.

Wow! What a change in performance this was! Sound stage opened up big time and this amp sounded really good. It had lots of drive to it and a really nice overall sound. It did not quite have to lushness of the big tube amps but it was really musical. This was an easy combo to live with for a while too. We were all really impressed (all of us). Eyes were opened. I liked this combo much better than the Ampzilla's and the Ampzilla amps were used with a much better Dodd Audio reference level pre-amp.

Ka brought in his 80 watt tube amp from _______? What kind of amp was that again? Give some info on it guys. This amp had a really soft bottom end to it, but it was a nice match for the system since the Alpha LS speakers really loaded up the bottom end in Gary's small room. But the soft bottom end that seamed like a plus in one way also offered little bass control too. So the bottom end was a little mushy. Over all sound, other than the bottom end, was pretty nice though. It was very smooth across the rest of the board. Nice vocals.

We also compared a pre-map from _____? What was it called guys? Transient Sound or something?

Not a bad overall sound as far as tonal balance but it shifted the vocals forward and stacked everything up on top of each other. Very 2-D. It really made me appreciate Gary's pre-amps all the more.

Gary had a new prototype amp too that I spent quite a bit of time with after most had left. I think he has another real winner on his hands. I matched the sound quality, and sounded nearly exactly like his big 120 watt monos, but had less power, 50 or 60 watts maybe. Should be a pretty inexpensive set of mono-blocks.

That about sums it up from me, unless I am forgetting something.

Nice group of guys all around. It was good to meet some of you for the first time and good to see some of you again.

The rest of you chime in your comments now.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2004, 12:08 am »
I'd like to thank gary, he was a great host. i had a great time , there was some eye opening or should i say ear opening experences. he's got me half hooked on tubes at least the pre-amp part and i'm now willing to at least listen to tube amps in my system. took my denon 2000ivr( 80 watts/8 ohm, 160 watts /4ohm,high current mosfets and a 53 lb. monster, oops might get sued by the cable people  :lol: ) over and combined with gary's $450 pre-amp a great match and is on my list for next purchase. the amp Ka brought over was a berning.
you know i was thinking of new integrateds, power amps, speaker cables, interconnects and here the great upgrade was here all along....gary dodd...thanks.

oh gary don't forget, think magnavox  :lol: .  

again thanks gary for a great time, i'll leave it for some of the others to give more detailed info.

marvin

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2004, 03:24 am »
I have to say that I was very happy to host the 2nd jam. And thanks to everyone who attended. Special thanks to Mark and Cesar for the pizza. It  was a really good, fun day. We had more equipment to play with than I think we expected. I agree with Danny about how everything sounded. Danny,the preamp was a grounded grid kit from Transcendant Sound. Actually really musical, but very 2 dimensional. The amp Ka brought was a Berning 70 watt OTL. sounded real good, but light and soft in the bass. Marvin's  Denon combined with the entry level preamp was the biggest change for the whole day. It made a huge difference in the entire picture, very musical. Turns out the amp section in the Denon is very good! I really enjoyed Marks little 6BQ5  amp, based on the Dyna st-35 I believe, it looked very nice and sounded very nice. Nice work Mark!!! Thanks Marvin for the comments. And I think I'll pass on the Magnavox. We actually had 14 guys at one time, my house was full, but alot of fun! I hope someone got some pictures. Thanks again everyone. Lets do it again!
Gary

Xi-Trum

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2004, 01:28 pm »
Let me start of by saying thanks to Gary for his hospitality.  It was great meeting all the guys.   :)

Now, here are some of my random thoughts...   :mrgreen:

All of our "comparisons" are really done casually (i.e. no level matching  :o ) so one should take all the comments with a grain of salt.   :D

First off, I agree with Danny on some of the assessments on the Ampzilla and Gary's 120.  The 120 was very smooth and soft sounding.  It had pretty impressive bass for a tube amp.  Its tube chracteristic really showed in female vocal, which was lush and seductive.  Overall, it was a very musical amp.  Very pleasing to the ears.

Now, about the Ampzilla.  As Danny already mentioned, it had a tighter grip on the bass.  It's worth pointing out that our listening room was small and the bass really loaded up the room.  For a SS amp, the Ampzilla was surprisingly smooth.  However, female vocal was a touch dry and not as seductive as the 120.  On the other hand, I thought the Ampzilla was much more transparent.  It had better clarity, transients, and dynamics.  I thought the 120 was a bit "slow" sounding in comparison.  That may explain a sense of "ease" when listening to it.

I was impressed by Ka's Berning amp.  I thought it had many characteristics that were found in both the 120 and the Ampzilla.  It had good clarity and dynamics, yet sounded smooth and musical.  Its tonality, to me, sounded closer to the Ampzilla than the 120.  But we didn't really A/B the two to really know for sure.  The one area where I thought the Berning lacked was bass impact.  Its mid-bass was polite and its low bass was... well... too polite.  :-)  But overall, it was a pretty musical amp.

The one piece of equipment that is worth mentioning is Danny's Alpha LS.  I had auditioned it before with Gary's system.  It was very good sounding then.  But I didn't know how capable it was without a point of reference... until now.  I would say that the Aplha was very revealing.  Throw in a component and one would hear the difference.  I'm quite impressed.

There were lots of other stuff worth mentioning as well.  Mark's DIY tube amp came to mind.  It was very nicely put together and sounded really good as well.

To sum it up, it was a real pleasure meeting all the guys and check out lots of gears.  Once again, BIG thanks to Gary for making it happen.   :thumb:

3moons

Gary's addictive system and an invite
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2004, 01:55 pm »
Thanks Gary and everyone involved for the Jam meeting. Gary's system can be quite addictive. Because I live about three miles from him, it's been very hard not to invite myself over too often just to enjoy music through his system. Wish I could have stayed longer. Get togethers like these are long overdue. By coincidence, I'm hosting the Dallas Audio Club meeting this coming Thursday night. You guys are welcome. I'll post a separate thread with details to not interfere with this Jam thread. jim...

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2004, 01:23 am »
I too would like to thank everyone for the pizza and the equipment that was shared.  It was very nice meeting everyone and renewing an old friendship with Dan.  Gary is a great host and has always been very accommodating to me over the past 2 years answering dumb questions, letting me come over and listen to different equipment etc. etc.  Thanks for everything Gary.

It was nice to get to meet Danny as well, he truly has a special gift when it comes to designing speakers.  Danny also has a VERY good ear (Go figure).  If you remember the old game show name that tune.  Where you would try to guess a tune in 1-10 notes, well Danny can identify, in phase out of phase and probably tell you what tube your listening too in about 5 notes.  LOL

I have order a pair of Dodd Audio 8 watt mono blocks from Gary.  When they are finished in a couple of weeks or so I would love to have everyone over (Plano) to my house for a meeting.  Thanks again and all the best,  Guy

shooter

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:39 am »
A big thanks to Gary for hosting the jam, the afternoon was a lot of fun, my Berning is definitely out gunned in the power department on the big alpha LS, after hearing the bass ability of the Alphas make me want to build some line source woofer towers to go with my stats.