DAC prices

rajacat

• Washington State
DAC prices
« on: 27 Feb 2020, 07:21 pm »
It would be helpful if DAC would list the prices for their gear on their website in addition to all the pretty marketing photos.

Wind Chaser

Re: DAC prices
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:02 pm »
Snips from the website...

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:12 pm »
Hmm... I guess I didn't search hard enough. :oops:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:16 pm »
Well I have to admit somethings are easier to do when I'm sober. Just speaking for myself of course. :D

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2020, 11:53 pm »
Not to hijack but what are dac dac folks using for xlr to rca ?   Can you buy stock adapters ?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2020, 05:58 am »
Not to hijack but what are dac dac folks using for xlr to rca ?   Can you buy stock adapters ?
Stock adapters typically ground the negative output, which works OK for transformer coupled outputs (lower performance products), but our DAC outputs are DC coupled (not possible with transformers).

So, we would like customers to know (indicated on the instructions included with the DACs we ship) that off-the-shelf adapters will add distortion.  We have custom-made adapters that don't ground the negative side, therefore preserving the DAC DAC's amazingly low THD+N!!  Simply email Support@DigitalAmp.com if you need some adapters.  Thanks.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:41 pm »
I have a DAC DAC 1HS and the plan is to run balanced cables to the *Nobsound passive preamp where I can attenuate the volume and switch between balanced and single ended outputs. The balanced outputs will feed the Maraschino’s and the single ended outputs will feed a *headphone amplifier.

*Unfortunately neither the passive preamp or the headphone amplifier are Cherry products.  :(
  However the preamp only contains a switch and an Alps attenuator - no caps, no transformer.  :D

Once I get this set up, the preamp will switch the balanced input of the DAC to single ended output for the headphone amp without adapters. Because the preamp is essentially nothing more than a switch and a volume pot, will that interfere with the desired DC coupling... or not?

I think the answer to this question is no, but I would rather be certain.  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2020, 05:36 pm »
I have a DAC DAC 1HS and the plan is to run balanced cables to the *Nobsound passive preamp where I can attenuate the volume and switch between balanced and single ended outputs. The balanced outputs will feed the Maraschino’s and the single ended outputs will feed a *headphone amplifier.

*Unfortunately neither the passive preamp or the headphone amplifier are Cherry products.  :(
  However the preamp only contains a switch and an Alps attenuator - no caps, no transformer.  :D

Once I get this set up, the preamp will switch the balanced input of the DAC to single ended output for the headphone amp without adapters. Because the preamp is essentially nothing more than a switch and a volume pot, will that interfere with the desired DC coupling... or not?

I think the answer to this question is no, but I would rather be certain.  :D
You are correct. The Nobsound passive preamp is DC coupled.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2020, 06:29 pm »
Awesome, the DAC DAC arrived about two weeks ago, I don’t know why but I haven’t even plugged it in yet.  :dunno:

I guess there will be plenty of time for listening to music soon.  :D :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2020, 07:27 pm »
We’re having a sale, including demo DACs, starting on Friday. Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for more information.

kbuzz3

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2020, 09:19 pm »
Stock adapters typically ground the negative output, which works OK for transformer coupled outputs (lower performance products), but our DAC outputs are DC coupled (not possible with transformers).

So, we would like customers to know (indicated on the instructions included with the DACs we ship) that off-the-shelf adapters will add distortion.  We have custom-made adapters that don't ground the negative side, therefore preserving the DAC DAC's amazingly low THD+N!!  Simply email Support@DigitalAmp.com if you need some adapters.  Thanks.

so just to clarify....since your custom adapters don't ground the negative side, this would be preferable to a set of XLR to RCA cables?
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2020, 11:02 pm by kbuzz3 »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2020, 09:53 pm »
Not preferable, but acceptable.  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2020, 05:25 am »
so just to clarify....since your custom adapters don't ground the negative side, this would be preferable to a set of XLR to RCA cables?
Please make sure, if you use an XLR(f)-to-RCA(m) cable, that the negative side of the XLR is NOT shorted to ground.  It's easier to just use regular RCA cables and our custom adapters.  Thanks.