Why I was going to sell my HT3 speakers......and can't

randybessinger

I have had many speakers in my life time.  From some of the first AR speakers to Snell, Martin Logan and so many others.  I have never had a problem finding something I liked better with no remorse selling my old speakers.  Jim's speakers are very different.  Right now, I have many speakers in my inventory.  Periodically, I change out my system and think well that sounds good, but I am at the twilight of my carreer and so I am thinking about "settling down" with a set a speakers.

So, I recently have been putting many speakers in my system.  I put the Usher Tiny Dancer in my system lately and I also bought the Dynaudio 140's.  Alll highly relgarded speakers.  I decided the TIny Dancers can go and the Dyns can stay... for awhile.  I also have bought a 7.1 Songtower sytem which I love so I thought I can downsize and sell my HT3/HT1 set-up and not feel too bad.  I put the Tiny Dancers for sale and put back in my system the HT3 fronts with HT1 center.  I am immediately struck by the fact that these speakers are SO MUCH better than anything else I have with the possible challenger or Earl Geddes speakers.  Those i have to go back to and see but I now know I can't sell my HT3;s unless I am destitute.  They are so much better than the contenders including John Ashman's NHTXD, Aerials, and the many many other speakers I have.  It bothers me that they are so good and so much better than the others.  It isn't that they are a little better, they are ALOT better.  You don't realize it until you go to somthing else sort of get entranced by a couple good features and then go back.  The clarity of Jim's speakers especially the HT3 is something I have not encountered before.  My guess is that anyone that sells their HT3's will eventually regret it.  I know I can't part with them.

One of the test CD's I use, believe or not, is Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones. I find that it has lots of different guitar from acoustic to electric, but it also has piano and horns and is well recorded.  The only speaker that I have listened to that renders the horns so perfectly is the HT3's. 

What can I say, I fully intended to downsize and sell my Salk Ht3/ HT 1 system and I can't.  Oh well, I have lots of others I can let go easily.

Randy Bessinger

Randy

Re: Why I was going to sell my HT3 speakers......and can't
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2009, 04:44 am »
If you change your mind, please let me know.

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2009, 05:05 am »
I've heard the Salk lineup and definitely see why it would be hard to part with the HT3s.  The HT4s would tempt me if I had the money.  I recently got a paid of Geddes' Abbeys and I love them.  The HT3s were just a bit too difficult a load to run with my favorite amps.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2009, 01:50 pm »
Randy - great story bud.  Every time I read a personal account like that I regret (even more so) that I have not yet heard the HT3's and HT4's.  Part of me doesn't want to hear them, as after I do I probably won't stop until I can get that sound out of my head, which is only possible by purchasing my own pair.  And, of course, the rest of me wants to hear them because I want to experience their greatness and find out for myself if they'll become my new benchmark.  Right now it probably wouldn't be a good idea, but hopefully one day. 

I'd also love to hear more about the HT3 Geddes' Abbey comparo.  I know the Abbey's are more sensitive, but I am all about the music, so timbre accuracy and what not is what's important to me, not ultra loud dB's.  Please PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting the info publicly.  I'll keep it between us if you'd like.  Thanks!