DSD DACs

dminches

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #360 on: 10 Sep 2013, 01:24 pm »
Pass thru for the PCM Dac output! That is how it piggybacks on your old Dac. Ted did say he hopes its transparent!

Unless one has limited inputs on their pre-amp, why would one use the pass through?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #361 on: 10 Sep 2013, 05:49 pm »
Matrix has finally made a silver version of the X-Sabre ($1099).  These are the first pictures available (taken by the US distributor).  No official pictures are available yet. They said that they wanted us to have the first look.   :thumb:

It is a satin glass bead finish (fine sand blasting), with medium gray silk screened letting. The whole unit is the same color, the top looks darker in the pictures but, that is just shadowing.  Other then the color, there is now a recessed switch on the bottom to change between 115 volts & 230 volts.

Edit:  changed $$ to $1099
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2013, 11:28 pm by ted_b »

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #362 on: 10 Sep 2013, 08:09 pm »
NuForce released their Icon DAC which supports DSD and Android...$299
Has anyone tried this?

DAC specs are limited to 24/96.  Without more info as to how it handles DSD files, my guess is DSD to PCM conversion.

DSD capability on these new lower priced DACs is cool.  It will be interesting to find out if DSD playback from budget DACs transcends the price-point in terms of performance or if it scales equivalently with PCM sound quality.

Russ

notany

« Reply #363 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:16 am »
Hi,http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/schiit-announces-loki-dsd-dac/
 First time poster. Anyone know anything about the Schit?

notany

« Reply #364 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:25 am »
Oops.  Just saw the previous posts.  When I searched for Schit it came up empty.  Auspisious start, eh?

droberts

« Reply #365 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:04 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Just wanted to post that I received my Schiit Loki and set it up with Foobar2000. The guys at Schiit imply this is a complicated setup but it actually went quite smoothly. Works great! I also have the Bifrost DAC, Lyre power amp, and HifiMAN HE-400 headphones. Very nice setup for solitary listening. Downloaded a few Pure DSD offerings from High Definitions Tape Transfer, as well as a couple of hi-res PCM tracks from the same albums, and I love the DSD in comparison to the hi-res PCM. I'm hoping to rip a few of my SACDs so I can play them on this setup (not in the same room as my SACD player and speakers). Cheers.

this_is_vv

« Reply #366 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:09 pm »
Matrix has finally made a silver version of the X-Sabre ($1099).  These are the first pictures available (taken by the US distributor).  No official pictures are available yet. They said that they wanted us to have the first look.   :thumb:

It is a satin glass bead finish (fine sand blasting), with medium gray silk screened letting. The whole unit is the same color, the top looks darker in the pictures but, that is just shadowing.  Other then the color, there is now a recessed switch on the bottom to change between 115 volts & 230 volts.

Edit:  changed $$ to $1099

ted

any input from resonance based DSD dacs there are Concerno ND and HErus from resonance lab...350$ for a full dsd Based dac seems to be very good option...

http://resonessencelabs.com/

V

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #367 on: 12 Oct 2013, 02:31 am »
They are on my list to visit at RMAF but didn't get to their room (1104) today.

OzarkTom

« Reply #368 on: 12 Oct 2013, 03:00 am »
Also check out the Avatar Acoustics room. They should be showing the new $159 IFI Micro DAC that plays both DSD and PCM.

this_is_vv

« Reply #369 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:47 pm »

will waig for it

V

this_is_vv

« Reply #370 on: 14 Oct 2013, 09:42 am »

Any updates

V

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #371 on: 14 Oct 2013, 03:00 pm »
I went in twice but no one was there to answer any questions.  The Concero was playing and it sounded fine, but who knows.  The final time I went in on Sunday they were tearing down.  I'll see them at CEs.

standub

« Reply #372 on: 16 Oct 2013, 11:14 pm »
Also check out the Avatar Acoustics room. They should be showing the new $159 IFI Micro DAC that plays both DSD and PCM.

They had a booth at canjam this year, and I have to say the IDSD, as it's going by now, sounded very very good.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #373 on: 19 Oct 2013, 04:56 am »
Hello all,
I read all 19 pages and I have a few questions. I have an Oppo BDP105. These DACs you cite in this thread presumably would be better than what's in the Oppo correct?  Then how'd i get Dsd from the disc into The DAC? I'm new to some of this higher tech stuff beyond sticking a disc in a tray. Thanks, Pete

holzohr

« Reply #374 on: 19 Oct 2013, 09:54 am »
Hello Pete,

the Sabre DAC of the Oppo 105 is great! No need to change. I had the Oppo 105 at home in February/March and the Oppo replaced my T+A Music Player balanced.

These cited DACs here are DSD-ready (and thought for playback of DSD/DoP-files from computer or network player).
You should ask the Oppo-support to make the 105`s USB DAC ready for DSD/DoP by a firmware update. Not sure if they are working on it.

DSD files, you already can play from an USB drive or via network. I guess you know about that. Unfortunately, the Oppo still can not gapless playback. About ripping of SACDs, please check the other threads here in this HiRez Music Circle.

I have the Oppo BDP-103 now and the Matrix X-Sabre. That together makes an "Oppo 105" (plus DSD/DoP support). The Matrix and Oppo 105 have the same Sabre DAC.

Regards
Mario

Update: I found this in the Oppo BDP-105 Thread (AVS Forum), concerning if Oppo can add DSD support for the 105's USB DAC.
The BDP-105 uses an older version of the XMOS hardware, so it is not built into it. OPPO still hopes a software solution may be created, but likely this is a hardware limitation.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2013, 01:07 pm by holzohr »

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #375 on: 22 Oct 2013, 10:32 am »
Thanks for the reply. I am lurking around trying to learn more about DACs and stuff. Thanks, Pete

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #376 on: 23 Oct 2013, 03:36 am »
Scot got around to posting a very good and lengthy "first listen" on the Lampi DSD-only DAC.  He, err, LOVES it.  :)

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/10/22/lampizator-dsd-dac-first-listen/

I get it next.   :thumb:

Ric Schultz

« Reply #377 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:08 pm »
The Tascam DA-3000 is finally hitting the streets at $1000.  One persons comments said that it did better recordings than the now discontinued Korg 2000 ($1800).  This is great news in that it can record all PCM and double speed DSD and play them all as well.  So, you have a high rez DAC and a high rez recorder....all for a grand.  I am sure it is not as good stock as an AD recorder as the $4000 Ayre unit but with mods it might compete (and the Ayre is not a player).  The mono running DACs with my discrete fet IV stage would be killer.  Can't wait to get my hands on one.

OzarkTom

« Reply #378 on: 23 Oct 2013, 11:26 pm »
The Tascam DA-3000 is finally hitting the streets at $1000.  One persons comments said that it did better recordings than the now discontinued Korg 2000 ($1800).  This is great news in that it can record all PCM and double speed DSD and play them all as well.  So, you have a high rez DAC and a high rez recorder....all for a grand.  I am sure it is not as good stock as an AD recorder as the $4000 Ayre unit but with mods it might compete (and the Ayre is not a player).  The mono running DACs with my discrete fet IV stage would be killer.  Can't wait to get my hands on one.

In stock here.

http://tascam.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/36204/Tascam-CD/SD-Players-Recorders.html

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #379 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:23 am »
Scot got around to posting a very good and lengthy "first listen" on the Lampi DSD-only DAC.  He, err, LOVES it.  :)

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/10/22/lampizator-dsd-dac-first-listen/

I get it next.   :thumb:

DSD only DAC...can't see how that is a viable option from a logistics standpoint.   :dunno:

George