DSD DACs

ltr317

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #340 on: 21 Aug 2013, 03:46 am »
And the right diet will lower your cholesterol faster than any statin can and with no side effects.

Unfortunately that approach doesn't work for everyone, including me.  After 4 years on a very healthy diet, my cholesterol was still too high.  For people like me, it's genetics.  I had to resort to statins and Omega 3 pills.  Now my cholesterol level is low. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #341 on: 21 Aug 2013, 04:05 am »
Unfortunately that approach doesn't work for everyone, including me.  After 4 years on a very healthy diet, my cholesterol was still too high.  For people like me, it's genetics.  I had to resort to statins and Omega 3 pills.  Now my cholesterol level is low.

But please do some more research on cholesterol. Too low cholesterol causes heart attacks. High triglycerides causes heart attacks much quicker than high cholesterol. Cutting out all of the grains and fructose from your diet lowers bad cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides. It also keeps you from getting diabetes, which is now rampant.

It has nothing to do with genetics. That is a medical lie to keep you on their drugs.

Sorry to go off track on the subject.

wisnon

« Reply #342 on: 21 Aug 2013, 05:42 am »
But please do some more research on cholesterol. Too low cholesterol causes heart attacks. High triglycerides causes heart attacks much quicker than high cholesterol. Cutting out all of the grains and fructose from your diet lowers bad cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides. It also keeps you from getting diabetes, which is now rampant.

It has nothing to do with genetics. That is a medical lie to keep you on their drugs.

Sorry to go off track on the subject.

Tom, please keep preaching it. We are in perfect agreement. As to Omega 3, please make sure that its Parent seed oil (flaxseed) and NOT fish oil (derivatives Omega 3=bad). Omega 3 MUST be taken in balance with Omega 6 too, roughly 1:2 ratio!

The body has NO regulatory mechanism for cholesterol and without cholesterol you die. Cholesterol is the transport mechanism that patches arterial walls. Lower it with drugs (not natural) and you risk medium rupture of said walls and even death.

End of rant now.

this_is_vv

« Reply #343 on: 21 Aug 2013, 02:48 pm »
$139 is gone gone gone... :bawl:

Had to take a reverse mortgage out on the house to get in at $159.

Regards,

Randy

Me 2 got in at $159...will get in sometime in January 2014 and then report it.... :)

V

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #344 on: 21 Aug 2013, 03:10 pm »
Tom, please keep preaching it. We are in perfect agreement. As to Omega 3, please make sure that its Parent seed oil (flaxseed) and NOT fish oil (derivatives Omega 3=bad). Omega 3 MUST be taken in balance with Omega 6 too, roughly 1:2 ratio!

The body has NO regulatory mechanism for cholesterol and without cholesterol you die. Cholesterol is the transport mechanism that patches arterial walls. Lower it with drugs (not natural) and you risk medium rupture of said walls and even death.

End of rant now.

Just one more cholesterol comment and then we can get back to DSD DAC.  :thumb: Gary Taubes has interesting article on cholesterol research and treatment at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27taubes.html?_r=0

jackman

« Reply #345 on: 22 Aug 2013, 09:36 pm »
Has anyone seen this DSD DAC board?   I've been following a thread on DIY and wish I had the skill to wire this into something I could use, it's only ~$100 USD.  Hopefully and industrious person will market these as a finished product soon. 

http://jlsounds.com/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XMOS-DSD-384-kHz-32bit-USB-to-I2S-SPDIF-PCB-DAC-PCM5102-/251313662298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8376295a#ht_1605wt_1255Link to product on eBay: 

Features of I2SoverUSB

-            XMOS 500 MIPS processor
-            Sampling frequencies: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz,
             352.8kHz and 384kHz
-            16-, 24- and 32-bit resolution
-            I2S or right-justified data (external pin configuration) in 32-bit frame
-            DSD Audio over PCM frames. DSD64(2.822400MHz) and                                                 
DSD128(5.644800MHz) by method DoP with 0x05/0xFA markers
-            Two low jitter oscillators 45.158MHz and 49.152MHz
-            Input for external master clock
-            LP5900 ultra low noise linear power regulator                                           
-            No switch mode power supplies in the PCB board                                       
-            Galvanic isolation (outputs, two oscillators and reclock are after the isolator)
-            Output for DAC configuration in DSD mode
-            Automatic detection of data type (PCM or DSD)
-            Master clock outputs: 45.1584/49.1520MHz and 22.5792/24.5760MHz (I2S                   
22.5792/24.5760MHz are reclocked by edge from 45.1584/49.1520MHz)
-            Three different ways to power the board, possible configurations:
             -    Power by USB bus
             -    The USB part is powered by USB bus, but the generators and the reclock are fed by a separate external power supply
             -    Both the USB part and the generators with the reclock are fed by two different external power supplies.
-            SPDIF output (through DA101C/DA102C transformer) – 44.1kHz, 48kHz,88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz (16-24 bits)
-            Dimensions: (LxWxH): 62.8 x 42.5 x 13.7 mm
Drivers:
-            No drivers needed for Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel
-            No drivers needed for MAC OS version 10.6.4 and above
-          ASIO/KS/WASAPI/Direct Sound drivers are necessary for Windows XP to 8 (32 and 64 bit). These drivers are not included with the I2SoverUSB board   

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #346 on: 22 Aug 2013, 10:43 pm »
Has anyone seen this DSD DAC board?

FYI, as configured in the ebay listing, it doesn't do DSD.  The USB board is capable of outputting DSD via I2S, but the included TI PCM5102 DAC board doesn't do DSD.  It's not clear if no DSD is a limitation of the DAC chip or the interface between the USB board and the DAC chip.

It's something to keep an eye on, that's for sure.

Russ

vonnie123

« Reply #347 on: 8 Sep 2013, 07:41 am »

Read The Great Cholesterol Myth by DR. Sinatra.  Dying with low cholesterol is not a good outcome.  Heart disease affects both high and low cholesterol persons. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #348 on: 9 Sep 2013, 01:16 pm »
Back on topic, please.  :)  (the hijack was educational, though)

Well, as all of you know the DSD DAC market is exploding, with the latest being a few new units being introduced by the DSD grandfather himself, Sony.  And affordable (er, cheap!) DSD is coming with things like the Geek headphone DAC.  Well, now Schiit has hit the DSD fan with their new Loki, a $149 (yes, $149) DSD-only DAC that does two interesting things:
1) DSD only, allowing proper DSD filtering at the analog end, all the while..
2) allowing your PCM dac to pass through untouched via a front button (PCM passthrough same as HT passthrough)

Time will tell whether their passthrough is clean enough, but suffice it to say that a $149 investment is low enough for most people to "dip their toes" into DSD.  And this "horses for course" approach of having a DSD-only design is theoretically quite sound (pun intended) and becoming a reality at places like Lampizator.  Frankly, I think it si a reason why more DAC mfgers haven't gone DSD; they see it as a completely different analog stage design and don't want to compromise their stellar PCM playback. 

Schiit availability TBA.  Thanks to John Darko and DigitalAudioReview for the headsup and picture (and Wisnon/Norman here on AC).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #349 on: 9 Sep 2013, 01:29 pm »
Wow.  That could be a great compliment to my new Lampizator unit.  Hope to catch one as soon as offered for $149!  Thanks Mr. Brady.

this_is_vv

« Reply #350 on: 9 Sep 2013, 02:23 pm »
Back on topic, please.  :)  (the hijack was educational, though)

Well, as all of you know the DSD DAC market is exploding, with the latest being a few new units being introduced by the DSD grandfather himself, Sony.  And affordable (er, cheap!) DSD is coming with things like the Geek headphone DAC.  Well, now Schiit has hit the DSD fan with their new Loki, a $149 (yes, $149) DSD-only DAC that does two interesting things:
1) DSD only, allowing proper DSD filtering at the analog end, all the while..
2) allowing your PCM dac to pass through untouched via a front button (PCM passthrough same as HT passthrough)

Time will tell whether their passthrough is clean enough, but suffice it to say that a $149 investment is low enough for most people to "dip their toes" into DSD.  And this "horses for course" approach of having a DSD-only design is theoretically quite sound (pun intended) and becoming a reality at places like Lampizator.  Frankly, I think it si a reason why more DAC mfgers haven't gone DSD; they see it as a completely different analog stage design and don't want to compromise their stellar PCM playback. 

Schiit availability TBA.  Thanks to John Darko and DigitalAudioReview for the headsup and picture (and Wisnon/Norman here on AC).

can it do PCM(mp3 flac etc) as well or only DSD??

V

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #351 on: 9 Sep 2013, 02:37 pm »
Again, this is ONLY DSD, and is to be used with another PCM DAC.  it has a passthorugh (which still doesn't address how to do 2 live USB connections!)

this_is_vv

« Reply #352 on: 9 Sep 2013, 02:44 pm »
Again, this is ONLY DSD, and is to be used with another PCM DAC.  it has a passthorugh (which still doesn't address how to do 2 live USB connections!)

The USB made me think....for 149$ good price...now the subjective definition of DAC will start coming in...

V

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #353 on: 9 Sep 2013, 02:56 pm »
The USB made me think....for 149$ good price...now the subjective definition of DAC will start coming in...

V

It's a full DAC, don't get me wrong.  But it will only decode DSD.  A PCM DAC is not needed.....unless you want to hear PCM (or a solution would be to have JRIver upsample your PCM to DSD then send to the Loki  :) ).

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #354 on: 9 Sep 2013, 04:33 pm »
Schiit now has the DAC on its website, and more than imply it is ready for shipment.  Looks like a proprietary USB driver.  Their approach (and user manual) is light, fuill of humor, and frankly refreshing.
http://schiit.com/products/loki

this_is_vv

« Reply #355 on: 9 Sep 2013, 06:39 pm »
Schiit now has the DAC on its website, and more than imply it is ready for shipment.  Looks like a proprietary USB driver.  Their approach (and user manual) is light, fuill of humor, and frankly refreshing.
http://schiit.com/products/loki

it also have analog input....???? ...o what is that analog input for??

V

wisnon

« Reply #356 on: 9 Sep 2013, 07:29 pm »
Pass thru for the PCM Dac output! That is how it piggybacks on your old Dac. Ted did say he hopes its transparent!

this_is_vv

« Reply #357 on: 9 Sep 2013, 07:53 pm »
Pass thru for the PCM Dac output! That is how it piggybacks on your old Dac. Ted did say he hopes its transparent!

got it now....so USB is only way to get the data DSD song or using Jriver for PCM songs and change them as suggested by ted earlier....

sjd

« Reply #358 on: 10 Sep 2013, 06:09 am »
This Loki is an ideal transitional DSDAC for me who is perfectly happy with my PCM DAC and have only a few SACDs (now thinking to send Tyson's way)...  :-)  nice

wolfgang0119

« Reply #359 on: 10 Sep 2013, 08:32 am »
NuForce released their Icon DAC which supports DSD and Android...$299
Has anyone tried this?

The innovative NuForce Icon DAC delivers the latest mobile device connectivity by supporting USB Audio for Android (4.1 and beyond with OTG), Mac and PC (with advanced PCM and DSD), a high-power headphone amplifier, a linear volume control and genuine audiophile construction throughout.

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=666:icon-dac&Itemid=2659