DSD DACs

christopher3393

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #260 on: 16 May 2013, 10:56 am »
Firedog: Thanks for that info.

Phil A

« Reply #261 on: 16 May 2013, 11:39 am »
sa-cd.net shows 8,640 titles.  However, there are a bunch on there that are out-of-print. So probably the estimate in the prior post is realistic.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #262 on: 16 May 2013, 01:13 pm »
Of the approx 7200 SACDS, there are 2800 native DSD recordings, and another 1000 analog-to-DSD masterings.  (Note: of the remaining,, some are unidentifiable, and some are PCM recordings that don't exist in the hirez PCM catalogs.  The final subcategory, PCM-to-DSD recordings that also exist in the hirez PCM disc or download world, like Robert's nice BIS SACD recordings, are clearly wastes of time to find and rip, and better to listen to in available PCM...assuming your DAC handles one as good as the other).  Anyway.....that's a "boatload" of new hirez discoveries.  Why not go after them?

I posted this back in December.  I would stand by the 7200-7500 count. 8500 seems awfully high; there is likely double counting going on, even in the OOP.

wisnon

« Reply #263 on: 16 May 2013, 04:22 pm »
Good reminder.

Dont forget that when you posted this back then, SA-CD.net only listed 7600 titles and now they are up to 8600. :green:

ejn1

« Reply #264 on: 9 Jun 2013, 09:20 am »
I'm upgrading my system and have a Auralic Vega on order but it's probably 3-4 weeks backordered.   I'm going to try with a new pair of speakers which are supposedly extremely detailed but would not call bright from what I've read and heard... Audio Physic Virgo 25s...   It's the same combination the dealer has in his personal setup and he can't say enough about it so I will soon find out first hand.  He said he was going to purchase the more expensive MBL dac and was blown away by the Auralic Vega and went with it instead.   I don't have Ted's vast comps but I will be upgrading from a Leema Acoustics Elements DAC that I use in a pre/DAC combination.  BTW, the Leema DAC includes a nice quality analog volume control so I'm eager to compare the digital volume control against the Vega.   

mav52

« Reply #265 on: 9 Jun 2013, 02:17 pm »
We have a LOT, at leat 3,000 pure DSD albums and another 1,500 analog transfers. What we need is more NEW stuff and a bit more variety.

I guess we need more should have echoed your NEW stuff.   I've never got into classical which seems to be the major musical taste for DSD these days and I'm not even sure where to start with classical music... I've always been a classic rock, blues and soft jazz and bluegrass instrumental person, so although I have a high number of SACD's supporting my music taste, I sure would like to see some NEW stuff. Most of the DSD releases I see are from old music.  Anyway I still enjoy what I have.

wisnon

« Reply #266 on: 9 Jun 2013, 02:46 pm »
Exactly Mav.

While we wish for more new stuff, there's plenty of old stuff to enjoy. Choice is good in this domain, we can have the best of DSD and PCM pklayback so as to handle all the material out there...
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2013, 07:15 pm by wisnon »

hi5harry

« Reply #267 on: 9 Jun 2013, 02:50 pm »
Hey Mav, check out the DSDfile.com and buy their two samplers. They are $12.95 each and have some of the music you are looking for.

mav52

« Reply #268 on: 9 Jun 2013, 08:30 pm »
Hey Mav, check out the DSDfile.com and buy their two samplers. They are $12.95 each and have some of the music you are looking for.

Thank you for the site hi5harry

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #269 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm »
Hmmm...  Interesting entry from Denon.  Stereo SACD player with 24/192 & DSD (DoP) asynchronous USB input. 

http://www.whathifi.com/news/denon-announces-upmarket-stereo-player-and-amp-combination-teases-innovative-all-in-one-tv-soun

http://www.audiofil.eu/sklep-internetowy/details/1403/13/odtwarzacze-cd/sacd/denon-dcd-1520ae-odtwarzacz-cd-z-dac-nowosc-audiofil.eu.html

Clearly targeted to the two-channel market. No Blu-Ray, DVD-A, HDMI, etc.

Russ

wisnon

« Reply #270 on: 17 Jun 2013, 04:24 pm »
Submitted by Michael Lavorgna on April 25, 2013 - 3:52am. (Audiostream forum)

I just heard back from Chord....
And they are working on DSD128 for the Qute but do not have an estimated release date...yet.

Latest:

Q: Any ETA for DSD128 on the Qute?

Answer:
Today
4:22pm
Chord Electronics Ltd

Hi, thanks for your patience. We couldn't comment until recently, but we hope to have an announcement on this very soon.

mav52

« Reply #271 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:30 am »
ted_b,  you still working on that review of the Chord QuteHD DSD? 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #272 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:35 am »
ted_b,  you still working on that review of the Chord QuteHD DSD?

yep   :)

mav52

« Reply #273 on: 18 Jun 2013, 03:22 am »

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #274 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:32 am »
A wow moment:

Lampizator By-Fikus
HA !!! Finally - DSD done RIGHT !
 I am very excited to have created my first DSD DAC and done it without chips. I designed a pure tube, zero solid state active decoder and filter that does DSD conversion without silicon. It is not easy to make but so satisfying. It takes all formats and file types and plays them with vinyl quality. It is for me a new era of digital. And in accordance with my LampizatOr principles I have glowing tubes in the DAC.

http://www.lampizator.eu/newdac/lampizator/DSD_DAC.html

I know, right? I just found him/the site earlier tonight. I have been walking my way through this thread. When I got to the end, if no one had mentioned it, I was going to introduce the link. You beat me by one page, which is great. He looks like a really bright and interesting guy. And those designs... Whew. :-)

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #275 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:04 am »
Ted:
I can't find your Sonore review no matter how I search it. Could you (or any nice person) post a link? Thanks, JT

Phil A

« Reply #276 on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:38 am »

wisnon

« Reply #277 on: 19 Jun 2013, 12:21 pm »
Ted:
I can't find your Sonore review no matter how I search it. Could you (or any nice person) post a link? Thanks, JT

Reply #3 in this very thread!

Although there are many DSD DACS now available, or soon to be, i have only heard three inhouse.  here is how I summarize them:

Meitner MA-1 ($7k list) Does all things wonderfully; is a state of the art DAC that is the foundation of my big rig.  This DAC has native 1 bit proprietary chips and converts everything coming in to DSD128.  It presents both DSD and PCM with aplomb.  If I won the lottery I'd get it's bigger brother, the EMM DAC2X simply because of the ceramic analog boards, but it's $15k list.   

Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC ($1600 List)  Is not only the Swiss Army knife of DSD DACs (USB1, USB 2.0, firewire, toslink, coax, remote volume capability, preamp version has analog inputs, mastering version has pro SDIF inputs) but is the value leader.  it's sound is 90% of the Meitner, and it use the ESS Sabre chip (not my fave) to the best I've heard.  it's pro pedigree shows in its stark neutrality and greta detail.  This DAC is comfortable in all setups EXCEPT those that are already slightly clinical or analytical sounding.  It mixes perfectly with tubes or ss.

Sonore eXD DAC ($1299 list)  This is a very dedicated USB DAC, no other inputs.  But it does USB wonderfully, whether in Linux, OSX or Windows..due to being USB Class 2 audio compliant (as is Meitner).  It is the yang to Mytek's yin.  If your system is warm, tubey or a bit rich already the eXD DAC may be too smooth for you.  I loved it and would have a tough time deciding if I hadn't already committed to the Mytek for my system no. 2.  Either are desert island DACs under $2k.

Playback Designs is another hi-end option.  DCS will finally upgrade their boxes to DSD, and then we have the exaSound, Benchmark, Ayre and a few others on the horizon.   

wisnon

« Reply #278 on: 19 Jun 2013, 12:23 pm »
Now we just await Ted's review of the Qute to see if it makes the sub $2K desert island Dac grade! Either in DSD or PCM.

wisnon

« Reply #279 on: 19 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm »

I know, right? I just found him/the site earlier tonight. I have been walking my way through this thread. When I got to the end, if no one had mentioned it, I was going to introduce the link. You beat me by one page, which is great. He looks like a really bright and interesting guy. And those designs... Whew. :-)

Yes he is indeed. I managed to speak with him last night and he is amassing parts to make a first batch of 10 to 20 dedicated DSD Dacs. I figure he will be good to go from early July. The first level 5 dual Dac goes out today to a lucky customer in the UK.