DSD DACs

PhilipAC

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #240 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm »
Having now listened to several of the free downloads from this site

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

in both 354PCM (the recording format) and DSD128, and despite being a DSD fan, I generally find the DXD slightly more relaxed and musical.

I know this could be due to DXD/DSD differences in my Auralic Vega, but I think it more likely represents support for the principle of playing back in
the same format as the music was recorded in.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #241 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:11 pm »
Having now listened to several of the free downloads from this site

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

in both 354PCM (the recording format) and DSD128, and despite being a DSD fan, I generally find the DXD slightly more relaxed and musical.

I know this could be due to DXD/DSD differences in my Auralic Vega, but I think it more likely represents support for the principle of playing back in
the same format as the music was recorded in.

Agree 100%.  Always choose the native sample rate when you can.  Also, due to break-in who knows which clock, etc is more effective right now.  It wouldn't have surprised me that your impressions were the opposite (until your proper break in made native DXD sound better than converted DSD128). 

Have you a/b'd DSD with the Femto clock yet?  I know that option needs 24 hours from any reboot, let alone brand new boot.

wisnon

« Reply #242 on: 6 Apr 2013, 04:29 pm »
Congrats! Wish I could be there to audition it with you....

PhilipAC

« Reply #243 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:02 pm »
I've now done a bit of a/b with the femto clock.

First I must emphasise that, as stated in the booklet, Exact will only work with a low jitter source. If there is too much jitter you get audio drop-outs. It
doesn't really work- like trying to sharpen a very blunt knife with too fine a setting. My SACD rips are mostly OK, sometimes not. Channel Classics downloads are
all ok.. For those that drop-out occasionally it's best to use Auto which optimises clock speed vs initial jitter.

The difference between Auto and Exact is noticeable and fascinating. Mostly Exact is best- the timing of the music is sharp as a razor. The notes come over as
absolutely precise- no blurring at all. Funnily enough, though, for some pieces of music- especially jazz- Auto can be better. One file of piano improvisations
from 2L Bench Test sounded slightly clinical in Exact and more "smokey" in Auto- as if you were in a smoke-filled jazz club!

The DAC would, I think, be unforgiving of bright recordings or systems that tended towards the bright side. It isn't bright itself but is towards that end of the spectrum.
Don't get me wrong- it doesn't sound "digital" but I wouldn't pair it with other components on the bright side of neutral.

I obviously have more listening to do, but so far I think it is very, very good and exceptional value.

scorpion

« Reply #244 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:14 pm »
I have in fact been able to buy a KORG DS-DAC-10
from Japan. My unit has serial number 2606. It is a little
bit tricky to get to work with only a Japanese
manual. But I have managed it with both Foobar and JRiver and
DSD and PCM.
/Erling

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #245 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:44 pm »
I've now done a bit of a/b with the femto clock.

First I must emphasise that, as stated in the booklet, Exact will only work with a low jitter source. If there is too much jitter you get audio drop-outs. It
doesn't really work- like trying to sharpen a very blunt knife with too fine a setting. My SACD rips are mostly OK, sometimes not. Channel Classics downloads are
all ok.. For those that drop-out occasionally it's best to use Auto which optimises clock speed vs initial jitter.

The difference between Auto and Exact is noticeable and fascinating. Mostly Exact is best- the timing of the music is sharp as a razor. The notes come over as
absolutely precise- no blurring at all. Funnily enough, though, for some pieces of music- especially jazz- Auto can be better. One file of piano improvisations
from 2L Bench Test sounded slightly clinical in Exact and more "smokey" in Auto- as if you were in a smoke-filled jazz club!

The DAC would, I think, be unforgiving of bright recordings or systems that tended towards the bright side. It isn't bright itself but is towards that end of the spectrum.
Don't get me wrong- it doesn't sound "digital" but I wouldn't pair it with other components on the bright side of neutral.

I obviously have more listening to do, but so far I think it is very, very good and exceptional value.

I will soon write up my Vega findings, but your observations about its pairing companions is spot on with mine; a classic symptom of the SABRE family.  BTW, I have no issues with Exact, and feel it is more susceptible to the transport/server than the files themselves.  I am using a CAPS V2+ (i.e V3 Lagoon) with Jriver/Jplay at ultrastream engine setting.

wisnon

« Reply #246 on: 24 Apr 2013, 12:47 pm »
A wow moment:

Lampizator By-Fikus
HA !!! Finally - DSD done RIGHT !
 I am very excited to have created my first DSD DAC and done it without chips. I designed a pure tube, zero solid state active decoder and filter that does DSD conversion without silicon. It is not easy to make but so satisfying. It takes all formats and file types and plays them with vinyl quality. It is for me a new era of digital. And in accordance with my LampizatOr principles I have glowing tubes in the DAC.

http://www.lampizator.eu/newdac/lampizator/DSD_DAC.html
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013, 02:17 pm by wisnon »

WG

« Reply #247 on: 27 Apr 2013, 09:39 pm »
I came across some very interesting news regarding Resonessence Invicta and Concero near term new releases.  See Post 546,http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/540. 

Will

rhmmmm

« Reply #248 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:21 pm »
I came across some very interesting news regarding Resonessence Invicta and Concero near term new releases.  See Post 546,http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/540. 

Will

Thanks for the heads up!  I may consider the HP version for computer listening!  Here's a better link to the post directly:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/540#post_9389170

wisnon

« Reply #249 on: 9 May 2013, 09:22 am »
Submitted by Michael Lavorgna on April 25, 2013 - 3:52am. (Audiostream forum)

I just heard back from Chord....
And they are working on DSD128 for the Qute but do not have an estimated release date...yet.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #250 on: 9 May 2013, 12:49 pm »
DanG posted last night that Wyred4Sound has joined the DSD fray, and in a big way.  DSD64 and DSD128 plus 32/384k, integer support and driverless Linux and OSX.  All with a new USB board for $350 upgrade, as well as and SE version of the DAC (upgraded parts) for now $2499.   :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116589.0

I added these to the DSD database last night.

jackman

« Reply #251 on: 9 May 2013, 02:21 pm »
Hi Dan,

Thanks, I checked out the links and they answered my questions.  Very cool development.  Schiit is also working on a DSD upgrade but I'm not sure if existing DACs can be upgraded.  They should, as Schiit employs a modular approach.  I've been on the fence waiting because I want to upgrade my system.  Almost pulled the trigger on the Teac, Xdac and the Mytek but I'm holding off until more companies enter the fray and drive down prices.  Hopefully, we will have several options in the $1K range.  That would be a nice sweetspot. 

Cheers,
J

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #252 on: 9 May 2013, 02:32 pm »
Jackman,
As I posted, the upgrade to existing W4S DAC2s (link shows it too) is $350.

jackman

« Reply #253 on: 9 May 2013, 02:53 pm »
Jackman,
As I posted, the upgrade to existing W4S DAC2s (link shows it too) is $350.

Thanks, sorry.... :oops:

Lots of cool DACS coming out and upgrades as well.  Makes my decision more difficult but the competition is good for consumers. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #254 on: 9 May 2013, 03:30 pm »
Amen to that!

wisnon

« Reply #255 on: 9 May 2013, 08:00 pm »
DSD playback is now more or less mainstream on Dacs.

Game, set, match.

mav52

« Reply #256 on: 15 May 2013, 02:00 pm »

DSD playback is now more or less mainstream on Dacs.

And all we need now is a lot more content.. 

wisnon

« Reply #257 on: 15 May 2013, 04:13 pm »
We have a LOT, at leat 3,000 pure DSD albums and another 1,500 analog transfers. What we need is more NEW stuff and a bit more variety.

bplexico

« Reply #258 on: 16 May 2013, 04:23 am »
We have a LOT, at leat 3,000 pure DSD albums and another 1,500 analog transfers. What we need is more NEW stuff and a bit more variety.

I had no idea there were over 4,500 offerings,negating some percentage that were actually PCM transfers, that is still none too shabby. Sadly though many are no longer available.

Also is it really true that there are 3,000 pure DSD albums? I thought a good many of those were analog transfers as opposed to recordings made via DSD...

EDIT: Well there do indeed to have been over 5,000 titles released over the years, so I defer to your research.

firedog

« Reply #259 on: 16 May 2013, 04:51 am »
I think if you check thoroughly, you'll see that the number of titles is more like 7500-7800.

Unfortunately the pure DSD is almost all Classical or "folk". But many of the analogue to DSD conversions sound great - better than other digital versions of the same material.

I don't see the big labels doing much DSD recording - they're all invested in PCM technology for hi-res.

But SACD is still coming out. There are new releases - just not really in pop/rock/etc. SACD is much more active in the Japanese market and they are still releasing new material and making new remasters of classic rock (e.g. the Who) that sound really good. The new e-Onkyo music store in Japan has DSD downloads and also a lot of transfers of Analog to DSD or DSD to 24/192 PCM. The DSD to 24-192 may not be the ultimate format, but I and others think they sound really good.

Note: e-Onkyo site - use Google Chrome so it will automatically translate the pages from Japanese.