DSD DACs

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #180 on: 15 Mar 2013, 12:52 pm »
Wow - semantics rodeo.  I've become interested in hi-rez and now this DSD topic.  I am not computer music literate, but my takeaway from all this is that I can't rip or extract or whatever from SACD's unless I use an old PS3 or ask someone who owns one, to do that for me.  Is that the bottom line - PS3 process or NO DSD enjoyment?
thanks

There are indeed DSD download sites (BlueCoast, Channel Classics, Premonition Records, 2L, e-Onkyo Japan) but to do yourself with SACDs, yes you are indeed correct.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #181 on: 15 Mar 2013, 01:05 pm »
Thanks Ted, and many thanks to your efforts in hi-rez that I am noticing!  :thumb: :thumb:
I will visit those sites and try a download to...what? My computer? - Okay, to my portable hard drive via my computer, then plug the portable HD into my OPPO BDP105?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #182 on: 15 Mar 2013, 01:17 pm »
Thanks Ted, and many thanks to your efforts in hi-rez that I am noticing!  :thumb: :thumb:
I will visit those sites and try a download to...what? My computer? - Okay, to my portable hard drive via my computer, then plug the portable HD into my OPPO BDP105?

Oppo had originally announced that they would accept DSF (DSD) files via the USB in with some firmware soon.  Most assumed that meant USB from the computer (i.e DoP or ASIO)..but they clarified it last week and said, no, only via USB hard drives.  So yes, download the stuff to a hard drive and get ready for Oppos firmware soon.  For most of us with DSD DACS, we do it via USB from the computer (or Invicta's idea of using SD cards).

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #183 on: 15 Mar 2013, 01:22 pm »
OK Ted, I'll watch for new OPPO firmware news on the big BDP105 thread on AVS Forum.
thanks again

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #184 on: 15 Mar 2013, 05:36 pm »
I wonder if Oppo's DSD via USB drive firmware update will work with the 103?  I'd be willing to give it a try.

Russ

Phil A

« Reply #185 on: 15 Mar 2013, 06:22 pm »
I wonder if Oppo's DSD via USB drive firmware update will work with the 103?  I'd be willing to give it a try.

Russ

The 105 is a DAC input and the DAC I believe is what they are getting reading to decode DSD

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:56 pm »
Russ has an interesting question.  Since Oppo has reported that they won't support DoP for DSF files, and have instead said they would support DSF files via USB hard drive, does this mean the 103 is in play for this as well...since it also has a couple of USB ports for hard drive music.  It seems like the asynchronous USB DAC capability of the 105 is not in discussion here (re DSF file support).  Hmm...

wisnon

« Reply #187 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm »
Yes, please use these terms or stop posting about SACD Ripping to DSD:
ripping:  using Mr Wicked's SACD ripper.pkg on the PS3 to rip ISO images from the otherwise protected SACD disc, to your hard drive
extracting:  to use the sacd_extract.exe (Windows or MAC) to extract DSF or DFF files from the aforementioned ISO.

There is no need to change the terminology.  It's not debatable.  That's what the tools are called, and that's what we call the processes in our project.  Sorry....

As Norman (Wisnon) and Tyson state, there are music players that will read the ISO directly (and not need you to extract to DSF or DFF).  In fact, at AXPONA this weekend Michal and I have discussed such comparisons.  I am tasked, this next week, to compare, both sonically and flexibility0wise, the differences between playing the ISO file and playing the stereo and multichannel extracted DSF files.  The ISO direct playback has huge convenience and storage benefits, but I'm concerned that they may sound different (because of on-the-fly extraction by the player..especially in multichannel) and they may not be able to be tagged anywhere as easily...let alone playlist flexibility, etc.  I will report back.
I will try to do some extractions and compare to iso files as well.

scorpion

« Reply #188 on: 16 Mar 2013, 09:23 pm »
At the DSDfile.com/Opus3 demo we could hear the Meitner MA-1 and Korg DS-DAC-10. The Korg, I think, was perhaps a little bit warmer,
but differences otherwise very small.  :)

/Erling

mav52

« Reply #189 on: 20 Mar 2013, 12:56 pm »
Probably a dumb question, :oops:   Since a lot of users have good DACS that hanldes 24/192 from all ports,   does anyone just make a DAC that does DSD "only"   would be kind of nice to just add that capability to the system without buying a completely new DAC with DSD

OzarkTom

« Reply #190 on: 20 Mar 2013, 01:24 pm »
Has anyone heard the new Benchmark for $2K?

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac2-hgc

mav52

« Reply #191 on: 20 Mar 2013, 01:36 pm »
sure, a few people on CA have them and indicate they are a big improvement over the Benchmark DAC1.  I'm still waiting on ted_b to compare it to the Mytek or the Chord DSD DAC.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/benchmark-hgc-dac2-15289/

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #192 on: 20 Mar 2013, 01:44 pm »
Hi.  I was so unimpressed with the B-mark DAC1 that I haven't had the new one on my radar.  Chord?  Yes!  I want to hear that one big time.

To answer the earlier question, no, it doesn't make sense to have a DSD-only DAC...what is needed for DSD is not that different than PCM, and the chipset is not a big part of the DAC cost (analog section, power supplies, etc).  That being said, there are certainly inexpensive enough DACs out there that do DSD and could be your DSD-only DAC if you needed to keep your PCM one.  It might be a hassle swapping cables, etc..or firewire for one, USB for the other kind of thing.

mav52

« Reply #193 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:43 pm »
Hi.  I was so unimpressed with the B-mark DAC1 that I haven't had the new one on my radar.  Chord?  Yes!  I want to hear that one big time.

To answer the earlier question, no, it doesn't make sense to have a DSD-only DAC...what is needed for DSD is not that different than PCM, and the chipset is not a big part of the DAC cost (analog section, power supplies, etc).  That being said, there are certainly inexpensive enough DACs out there that do DSD and could be your DSD-only DAC if you needed to keep your PCM one.  It might be a hassle swapping cables, etc..or firewire for one, USB for the other kind of thing.

Thank you Ted.. Just wondering, makes since with the techy stuff.   On the Chord, give David Lewis a call http://davidlewisaudio.com/index.html  as they are the only ones on the east coast, maybe they will let you demo a Chord... 

wisnon

« Reply #194 on: 20 Mar 2013, 04:25 pm »
This shop (audiodoctor NJersey, does Chord too)
http://www.audiodoctor.com/dac.html

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #195 on: 20 Mar 2013, 05:43 pm »

I have one and I really like it.  A few of my comments here at AC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110794.msg1198729#msg1198729

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113858.msg1186830#msg1186830

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110794.msg1150697#msg1150697

More at CA:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/benchmark-hgc-dac2-15289/

I noticed that Blue Coast Records is now selling the DAC2 as well as the Mytek.  They offer a $200 credit towards DSD downloads with DAC purchase.

Russ

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #196 on: 20 Mar 2013, 06:01 pm »
Russ,
I have to assume my impression of the DAC1 was partly due to its lack of break in, something you wrote about in the DAC2 post above.  it was horrible, and since then have wondered what people heard in it (again, DAC1 I'm talking about).  But several reviews have said how starkly better the DAC2 is anyway....

wisnon

« Reply #197 on: 20 Mar 2013, 07:54 pm »
Russ,
I have to assume my impression of the DAC1 was partly due to its lack of break in, something you wrote about in the DAC2 post above.  it was horrible, and since then have wondered what people heard in it (again, DAC1 I'm talking about).  But several reviews have said how starkly better the DAC2 is anyway....

I have a pal who thought the Dac1 was horrible, but given the feedback for the 2, I think they have scored big time with the reincarnation. Good thing too, as the competition is hotter than July now.

Phil A

« Reply #198 on: 20 Mar 2013, 08:51 pm »
I heard the DAC1 and also was not impressed.  I'm hoping the DAC2 is better.  I'd actually like to have one at some point (I guess I'll get to hear it at the Capital Audiofest in July) for a secondary system as it has really nice features like it can be used as a preamp with HT Bypass and also tells you the word length of what you are getting.  It would be nice to have something nice and simple in a secondary system that sounds good too.

PhilipAC

« Reply #199 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:44 am »
Regarding the sound of ISO files vs the DSF file, I asked Damien of Audirvana about this and he said he could hear no difference- he also said that he thought
A+ in standalone mode was better than A+ in iTunes-integrated mode, and I agree totally with this.

Philip