BIT20 & 14B3 Combination - Loss of Imaging

ccpeabody

BIT20 & 14B3 Combination - Loss of Imaging
« on: 8 Apr 2021, 12:19 am »
Looking for some feedback from other BIT users.

I have a new Bryston BIT20.  My system consists of the following:

Auralic G2 Streamer
Oppo Blu Ray Player
Outlaw 976
Denafrips Ares II
Primaluna Evo400 Preamp
Bryston 14B3 Amplifier
Simaudio Aurora Amplifier

I have two dedicated 20A circuits running to my listening room.  I have everything plugged into the BIT20 with the exception of the Bryston 14B3 Amplifier.  Normally, the BIT20 has its own dedicated 20A circuit as does the Bryston 14B3.

Normally, when streaming from Tidal on the Auralic G2 through the Denafrips Ares II, Primaluna Evo400 and Bryston 14B3 I hear beautiful music with pinpoint imaging.

Last night, I decided to plug the Bryston 14B3 into the BIT20 as well.  Same set up... streaming from Tidal on the Auralic G2 through the Denafrips Ares II, Primaluna Evo400 and Bryston 14B3.  With the Bryston 14B3 plugged in to the BIT, the imaging completely disappears.  I can't tell if the soundstage gets larger or if it's just the loss of imaging that yields that effect.

Removed the Bryston 14B3 from the BIT20 and plugged it back into its dedicated 20A circuit and imaging comes back immediately.

Has anyone else noticed a collapse of image when using a BIT with a larger Bryston Amplifier?  Am I missing something here?  A totally uneducated opinion would be that perhaps the BIT20 can't give the 14B3 all the current it needs with everything else plugged into it?

I'm not here to complain.  I'm just trying to figure out if I'm overloading the BIT20, I have a defective BIT20 or perhaps I don't recognize what's really going on with the imaging?

Look forward to hearing from anyone that has tried the same thing.

drummermitchell

Re: BIT20 & 14B3 Combination - Loss of Imaging
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2021, 12:45 am »
I don’t know what your Sims amp puts out and besides the Bryston also.
I do know years ago I had two 7b- set amps and two DD-15 subs and was using all Shunyata stuff.
Then had the opportunity to audition a 15a Torus as Nothing improved with the Shunyatas.
Same as the wall.
Anyway I auditioned a 20a Torus with the 15a Torus,WTF........
Huge Huge soundstage and bottom end just had a ton of more oophm,but with Avery relaxed high end feel about the sound.
True that components don’t draw much power but amps and subs do for sure.
On this note I upgraded to 20a And 60a Torus as I run 28s and 7B-sst2s plus projector and two SB-16 subs.
To me sounds like you are feeding the Torus to much power.
You also mentioned another component that I’m not sure is another amp.
I believed James addressed this years ago(not sure if my calculations are correct).
You add up all power amps total output and divide by 1/3 I believe(I could be wrong here).
James can chime in and let you know.
Totally incredible if the Torus isn’t over taxed for its power.
Shit it is tax time again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2021, 10:20 am »
Hi CC

I have my 21B's plugged into a BIT 20 in my active setup and have not experienced the lack of image issue so not sure what is happening there.  I know usually the soundstage expands  so maybe as you suggest there may be less focus as a result in your setup? I do not think you are overloading the BIT20.

Anyway go with what you feel is best in your setup because ultimately that is what matters most.

best
james

brucek

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2021, 08:59 pm »
I have two dedicated 20A circuits running to my listening room.  I have everything plugged into the BIT20 with the exception of the Bryston 14B3 Amplifier.  Normally, the BIT20 has its own dedicated 20A circuit as does the Bryston 14B3.

I'm wondering if both those 20A dedicated circuits are on the same leg at your service panel. Electricians might not concern themselves with this if you had someone install them for you.

Residential houses use 240 volt "single phase" three wire power. The two "hot" legs are 120 volts and are 180 degrees out of phase. The loads in your house are balanced between these two legs at the service panel. It is advisable, if you do have two circuits powering your audio system, to ensure you are using a common leg. It certainly avoids ground loops and perhaps some problems that you are describing.

brucek

ccpeabody

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2021, 07:48 pm »
I'm wondering if both those 20A dedicated circuits are on the same leg at your service panel. Electricians might not concern themselves with this if you had someone install them for you.

Residential houses use 240 volt "single phase" three wire power. The two "hot" legs are 120 volts and are 180 degrees out of phase. The loads in your house are balanced between these two legs at the service panel. It is advisable, if you do have two circuits powering your audio system, to ensure you are using a common leg. It certainly avoids ground loops and perhaps some problems that you are describing.

brucek
Very good thought but as I installed the circuits myself, I can confirm that they are each from a separate buss in the panel.

Thanks very much for chiming in!

ccpeabody

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2021, 07:53 pm »
Hi CC

I have my 21B's plugged into a BIT 20 in my active setup and have not experienced the lack of image issue so not sure what is happening there.  I know usually the soundstage expands  so maybe as you suggest there may be less focus as a result in your setup? I do not think you are overloading the BIT20.

Anyway go with what you feel is best in your setup because ultimately that is what matters most.

best
james
Hi James,

I'll have to do some more experimenting.  I do think the soundstage expanded and to hear you report the same thing makes me wonder if I just need to reposition my speakers once I'm running from the BIT20 to tighten up the imaging.

I'll do some more experimenting and report back.

Cheers!