Phono vs regular interconnect

gene9p

Phono vs regular interconnect
« on: 1 Aug 2023, 01:19 pm »
What is the difference between using the Spirit phono cable and the regular Spirit interconnect cable as a phono cable?..other than the ground wire of course.

thanks

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Phono vs regular interconnect
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2023, 06:57 pm »
I saw Pete showed up, but no post from him.

This got me curious as well.

:popcorn:

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2023, 11:36 pm »
The phono cable is shielded to protect that tiny little signal from interferance. I believe the regular IC's are not shielded, but I could be wrong.

gene9p

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2023, 11:42 pm »
both are shielded...

Triode Pete

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2023, 12:50 am »
Hi Gene,
The regular "Spirit II" has only 1 layer of high tech shielding whereas the Phono "Spirit II" has 2 layers of high tech shielding, that does not add capacitance to the cable. Adding capacitance through traditional shielding techniques usually results in a duller, less dynamic interconnect.

Both cables are pretty dead quiet, especially the Phono version. I run my Lyra Titan I (with Output voltage: 0.5mV@5cm/sec) through my 104 dB efficient horn speakers with absolutely ZERO noise & hum. It is explosively dynamic with perfectly balanced tonality.

Cheers,
Pete

gene9p

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2023, 01:06 pm »
thanks Pete..I have a couple of extra Spirit RCA's and I was wondering about trying them with my turntable.

Triode Pete

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2023, 10:39 pm »
thanks Pete..I have a couple of extra Spirit RCA's and I was wondering about trying them with my turntable.

Hi Gene,
You could always try it to see if works OK... If not, you know where to find me!

Cheers,
Pete