BDP-3 Sonic Upgrade

gbaby

BDP-3 Sonic Upgrade
« on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:58 pm »
I received my heretofore BDP-2 that has been upgraded to the BDP-3. I already had the new sound card in the BDP-2 so the only upgrade was wifi, the processor, power supply and additional USB inputs. I must say that I thought the sonic improvements were significant although Bryston says there should be no difference due to the sound card. However, I found that with the upgrade, the BDP-3 sounds more linear and in the mid to high frequencies, the notes sound more extended,  and subtle sounds in compositions are more prevalent. I guess I am saying its more detailed. I don't know how to describe the difference, but its there. In addition, the unit seems to flatten the bass response as heavy bass compositions no longer have a boom, but rather, the bass sounds more linear and well as more extended. Its like I got free EQ for the bass frequencies. :lol: I do not understand the technical reasons for the perceived sonic improvements, but they were indeed there. Apparently, my transducers are quite revealing as I could hear the sonic change. Surprisingly, USB from the BDP-3 to the SP-3 sounds even smoother with a sweetness I have never heard. I strongly encourage all BDP-2 owners to upgrade your unit to the BDP-3. You will not regret it.  :thumb:

bjski

Re: BDP-3 Sonic Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2018, 05:05 pm »

I received my heretofore BDP-2 that has been upgraded to the BDP-3. I already had the new sound card in the BDP-2 so the only upgrade was wifi, the processor, power supply and additional USB inputs. I must say that I thought the sonic improvements were significant although Bryston says there should be no difference due to the sound card. However, I found that with the upgrade, the BDP-3 sounds more linear and in the mid to high frequencies, the notes sound more extended,  and subtle sounds in compositions are more prevalent. I guess I am saying its more detailed. I don't know how to describe the difference, but its there. In addition, the unit seems to flatten the bass response as heavy bass compositions no longer have a boom, but rather, the bass sounds more linear and well as more extended. Its like I got free EQ for the bass frequencies. :lol: I do not understand the technical reasons for the perceived sonic improvements, but they were indeed there. Apparently, my transducers are quite revealing as I could hear the sonic change. Surprisingly, USB from the BDP-3 to the SP-3 sounds even smoother with a sweetness I have never heard. I strongly encourage all BDP-2 owners to upgrade your unit to the BDP-3. You will not regret it.  :thumb:
I have a BDP-3 and my BDP-2 is at Bryston becoming a BDP-3. I agree with everything you said along with darker or more quiet background. The BDP-3 brings just gives you slightly more depth, ambiance and detail. :thumb:

gbaby

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2018, 08:11 pm »
I have a BDP-3 and my BDP-2 is at Bryston becoming a BDP-3. I agree with everything you said along with darker or more quiet background. The BDP-3 brings just gives you slightly more depth, ambiance and detail. :thumb:

Thank you for confirming my ears are still keen.  8)

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2018, 08:35 pm »

Thanks a ton for posting your impressions. I find it invaluable to read comparisons from other owners when they upgrade/change components. :thumb:

BrystonFan

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2018, 10:49 pm »
So one does not have to sell the BDP2 and purchase a BDP3, there is an upgrade option?
How much is that?

bjski

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2018, 11:20 pm »
Upgrade option......depends if you have new sound card or not....$1500 +
Mike Picket at Bryston

Grant Hill

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2018, 09:54 am »
thank you gbaby for your feedback.

did you say that the BDP3 have a different/better power supply than BDP2? I wasn't aware of that…

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2018, 01:23 pm »
thank you gbaby for your feedback.

did you say that the BDP3 have a different/better power supply than BDP2? I wasn't aware of that…

Bryston upgraded the power supply, chip, ram as well as added two new USB. You send your unit to Vermont and they send it to Ontario, Canada for the upgrade. You pay when it is finished. My BDP-2 came back looking like a brand new unit and when I powered it up, it said BDP-3 and the back label says BDP-3. It also came with a new manual for the BDP-3. It was a true sonic upgrade in my opinion. If you can afford it, go for it as it is a no brainer.

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2018, 01:26 pm »
So one does not have to sell the BDP2 and purchase a BDP3, there is an upgrade option?
How much is that?

No you don't sell your BDP-2. The BDP-2 and the BDP-3 use the same chassis. When you send your BDP-2 to Bryston, they change all the innards as well as the back panel.

gbaby

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2018, 01:27 pm »
Deleted

Grant Hill

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2018, 10:17 pm »
Bryston upgraded the power supply, chip, ram as well as added two new USB. You send your unit to Vermont and they send it to Ontario, Canada for the upgrade. You pay when it is finished. My BDP-2 came back looking like a brand new unit and when I powered it up, it said BDP-3 and the back label says BDP-3. It also came with a new manual for the BDP-3. It was a true sonic upgrade in my opinion. If you can afford it, go for it as it is a no brainer.

Thank you! I knew about chip&ram, not about power supply