Looking for neutral sound with RAAL esque treble.

danny01

Looking for neutral sound with RAAL esque treble.
« on: 19 Jul 2015, 06:22 pm »
I posted a thread on headfi asking for some advice on a neutral sounding hradphone with awesome midrange and RAAL tweeter like treble. I didnt get any responses. Maybe it is better to ask here since many of AC members own or have heard RAAL tweeters before. I am looking for a headphone that is dead neutral with crystal clear but non fatiguing highs. I have a pair of Selah Prestigios and want to replicate that sound in a headphone. For those who are not familiar with the Prestigio, they are an MTM with a RAAL flanked by two Seas w16s. To me they produce dead accurate midrange and clear treble without a hint of brightness. I prefer to buy used headphones to start so that I can audition resell with minimal loss. My budget is $400 (but we all know how that pans out).

JohnR

Re: Looking for neutral sound with RAAL esque treble.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2015, 06:42 pm »
I'm not sure you can get that for $400. Amplifier counts too.

danny01

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2015, 06:46 pm »
I'm not sure you can get that for $400. Amplifier counts too.
Thanks for your post.
Yeah thats what I figured. I already have a beefy headphone amp, an Audio GD 10.33. Do you think I need to increase the budget for headphones only, even if I go used?

danny01

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2015, 06:50 pm »
Can you reccomend some headphones that you might think fit my critera even if they go for a bit over my budget used?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2015, 07:49 pm »
I was impressed by the smoothness of the HiFiMan HE-500's when I heard them on a good amp. Not sure what they go for these days. Think street is $499. They have a slightly cheaper 400 model that is supposed to be fairly similar.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2015, 08:14 pm »
I love the Hifiman sound and my HE400i's are close to my favorite headphone, but I would respectfully disagree that this is the sound the op is asking for.  Granted the HE 500/560 is more detailed than the 400 series, I'm still not sure they fit the bill.  I would think the Beyerdynamic T90 would be closer to the sound signature the op is looking for.  Highly detailed, crystal clear, but not too bright highs.  Tight, accurate bass, slightly lean midrange.  And the price is in line used, as well as the Audio gd headphone amp being powerful enough to drive them.  Of course I could be completely wrong, but this is my impression of what was asked for.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2015, 10:35 pm »
Although new price is too high for your budget, if you are a bit patient you might be able to find a used pair of Audeze EL-8s at your price.  If you want crystalline clear highs without brightness, a good planar magnetic is probably the way to go, and the Audeze sound is ever so slightly warm, but with all the inner resolution and detail that good planar magnetic headphones offer.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2015, 01:16 am »
I've been reading very did things about Oppo's new planar headphones.  The PM3 fits your budget

http://oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

Just a thought. :)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2015, 03:25 pm »
I haven't heard a RAAL but a pair of Hifiman 400's would certainly get in the ballpark. If thats your sound but you want more...take a loan out..lol..and start either buying used Audeze or hifiman. I just got an original pair of Grado PS500's and they do it for me.
 Your sound and mine are similar but the open Grado sound has really captured me but some feel lower models can be bright.
Just my 2 cents...enjoy the search/Journey its fun.

danny01

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2015, 08:07 pm »
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I had a feeling planars would be a good fit for me. I am now looking for a pair of used EL8 or LCD 2.2. I will not buy brand new headphones because these will be my first mid to high end phones and there is a high chance that I'll sell them after learning a bit more about my preferences and what else is out there.  There was a subreddit saying lcd-2s can be found for around $600 used. If I spot a pair at that price I will jump on them. Does anyone know the going rate on used EL8s?

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2015, 08:31 am »
I don't think there could be many EL8s available used as they've just come out - ? The important thing is to be open to options and whereever possible listen to a pair of headphones first before paying, individual response to particular headphones is all over the map. I try to avoid making specific recommendations any more. Buying used headphones can be a mixed bag, I've had some success but also a pair that smelt like they'd been working out in the gym without showering for a year. So tread carefully and have fun  :thumb:

robin67

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2015, 03:35 am »
Just got a pair of Sony Z7  they sound real good

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2015, 09:30 pm »
How about Mad Dog - they're planers.  Treble smooth as a baby's bottom:
https://mrspeakers.com/mrspeakers-mad-dog-headphones/

neo

jonbee

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2015, 10:13 pm »
I posted a thread on headfi asking for some advice on a neutral sounding hradphone with awesome midrange and RAAL tweeter like treble. I didnt get any responses. Maybe it is better to ask here since many of AC members own or have heard RAAL tweeters before. I am looking for a headphone that is dead neutral with crystal clear but non fatiguing highs. I have a pair of Selah Prestigios and want to replicate that sound in a headphone. For those who are not familiar with the Prestigio, they are an MTM with a RAAL flanked by two Seas w16s. To me they produce dead accurate midrange and clear treble without a hint of brightness. I prefer to buy used headphones to start so that I can audition resell with minimal loss. My budget is $400 (but we all know how that pans out).
I've used Hifiman HE500s interchangeably with my Selah RAAL/Scanspeak monitors in my office for over a year. They are indeed very close on top. I've also owned Tempestas, which use the RAAL. Both very open, detailed, and smooth on top. Midrange is clear and buttery smooth. Powerful bass, too.
I'm a great lover of ribbon speakers, and the HE500s are the closest thing I've heard to them, and they can be bought used for $4-450 in mint condition.
HE-560 is supposed to be better yet, but also more $.
I think they will fit your requirements nicely.