MMG speakers

blgreenie

MMG speakers
« on: 24 Jul 2012, 02:49 pm »
With its low sensitivity and 4 ohm (but steady) impedance rating, has anyone had good experience using Magnepan's MMG speaker with the RM-10?

Clio09

Re: MMG speakers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:05 pm »
I used my RM-10 with a set of 1.6QR's recently and got high enough SPLs to satisfy my needs. So my guess is it should work with the MMGs.

steve f

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm »
I can answer this one from the MMG users side. A couple of years ago, I ordered a pair of MMG's mostly because they were cheap, and I couldn't afford Quad ESL speakers. I tried them with a whole bunch of amps including the original ASL Waves which put out about 7-8 watts from each mono block. They drove the MMG's to moderate levels. I also used Quicksilver Mini's at 25 watts per channel. There is no doubt that a RM-10 could easily drive MMG's.

I'm still waiting to try out a RM-10. The MMG's weren't keepers.

Steve

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2012, 07:31 pm »
With its low sensitivity and 4 ohm (but steady) impedance rating, has anyone had good experience using Magnepan's MMG speaker with the RM-10?

As I have often said, Power depends more on listening level than anything else. Get yourself down to Radio Shack and get an SPL meter for $55. It's very accurate and informative. We can work out the approximate power from the SPL at one meter distance on axis when music is played at your loudest desired clean level. There is always more volume for parties when I doubt people will be paying much attention to occasional clipping.

If you happen to have a peak reading voltmeter or an oscilloscope that is even better. You can measure the peak voltage at your peak level and we can work out the power from that.