Current Source or Voltage Source Amp For Full Range Drivers ??

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  With Nelson Pass F1 Amp out there has the game changed ? Does this boil down to personal taste or is the Pass design better suited ?

charles

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Current amplifiers have some theorectical advantages since speakers are current devices not voltage devices.

But net FR of speakers/amp is convolved with the impedance of the speaker. This makes application most suitable to active for stuff above the bass, and with full-range single driver applications.

There is a just right amplifier output impedance for every loudspeaker … very easy to determine if you have a variable transimpedance amplifier to play with.

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Current amplifiers have some theorectical advantages since speakers are current devices not voltage devices.

But net FR of speakers/amp is convolved with the impedance of the speaker. This makes application most suitable to active for stuff above the bass, and with full-range single driver applications.

There is a just right amplifier output impedance for every loudspeaker … very easy to determine if you have a variable transimpedance amplifier to play with.

dave

You lost me.  What does "to active for stuff above the bass" and "variable transimpedance amplifier" mean?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
"to active for stuff above the bass”

Ii an active system, it is usually only the bass driver section that has significant impedance variations. So for example, use a voltage amp to drive the bass, and current amps to drive midrange & tweeter (or midTweeter in WAWs)

"variable transimpedance amplifier"

An amplifier with a dial that allows changing the output impedance from near zero to near infinity. A voltage amp at one end of the knob, a current amp at the other end and everything in-between.

dave

intaud

• Industry Participant
I built a current source amplifier and have been using it for over a year now matched with Alpair 12pw wide band drivers in a closed box.  I use a MiniDSP 2x4HD for response correction.  I realize sound is subjective and I don’t have “high end” systems to compare to, but I think as a system this sounds very good.  A very natural/realistic sound which is most important to me.   

Thanks, Dave

Folsom

You can't use them with regular crossovers. You have to have special crossovers.

That's why you see them more in active/single driver setups.