Single driver for small room

versus rider

Single driver for small room
« on: 12 Oct 2014, 08:04 am »
Hi all, been a while since I posted here. Well, mostly in the OB section then the horn bug got me. Then I got tired of switching on three amps, digital crossover, phono stage etc etc. by chance I swapped a 6C33C push pull amp for some red rose speakers to run with my 300B and very nice they are too. But now I'm getting an itch for a yamamoto 45 and some single drivers to go with it at 2w will need to be fairly efficient but the room is purpose built and only 9' 6" x 7' with a vaulted ceiling. I have a very nice sub that integrates well for the bottom end. What single driver would you suggest bearing in mind I have tried Fostex and Lowther in the past. Voxativ would be my first choice given the money required.

Still have Fostex 126E BLH, nice but slightly shouty.

ejfud

Re: Single driver for small room
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:31 pm »
I'm more than happy with the Alpair 12P's on my 2A3's in a small room. Bookshelf sized cabinet.

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:21 pm »
See if you can get your hands on the Fostex MG130HRs. They made a very limited run and these ran out quickly. They can sometimes be found online but the prices asked have gone through the roof. Wonderful drivers these were.

versus rider

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:50 pm »
See if you can get your hands on the Fostex MG130HRs. They made a very limited run and these ran out quickly. They can sometimes be found online but the prices asked have gone through the roof. Wonderful drivers these were.
how much were these unobtanium drivers  as a matter of interest as  I cannot find anything on them.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:08 pm »
In a room that size, I think 8" drivers are too big.  I don't have the Voxativ but I do have the AER's and they sound pretty much the same (i.e., in a big room, they smooth out but I wouldn't want them in a small room).

Maybe one of the nicer Fostex "special edition" 163 or 166ES-R's, possibly the 168E-Sigma, are as big as I'd personally go.  The 6" Lowthers are also nice, and come in options like Alnico (for what that's worth).

I've switched over to very small drivers (FE103En, FE108E-Sigma, the old original FE108-Sigma, a few others) and I really like them for smaller rooms, and near-field situations.  The fact that they are cheap is just a freebie. They aren't anything like the FE126E which I find almost unbearable. (The 168E-Sigma also has a 7k peak, but beams more and it's bigger so it's easier to be off-axis -- the 166ES-R's are very smooth, might need a rear-facing tweeter for some but not me.)

versus rider

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:18 pm »
its unlikely I could be off axis in this room.  :) those 130's are a tad expensive without knowing anything about them and not overly efficient. thanks for posting the link.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2014, 09:16 pm »
I wonder if anyone has heard the new PHY model - the E 17 LB 15 Cu. (6" with fs of 85Hz and 96 dB sensitivity). €295 with a ferrite magnet.
http://www.phy-hp.com/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2014, 09:14 am »
Good balance between value, service, and of course good sound:

http://www.brinesacoustics.com

Bob offers plans, pre-cut cabinet panels, or fully completed speakers.

For your needs recommend considering:

http://www.brinesacoustics.com/Pages/T7-A7/Main.html

Bob_Brines

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:00 am »
I am in the process of breaking-in a pair of the new Alpair A7P's. I expect to do a critical compare with the older A7M.3's this weekend. If all goes well, I expect to add a bit of volume to the T7-A7 cabinet and move the driver down a bit.

My initial impression of the A7P is that is is a bit brighter than the A7M, has a better top and is more detailed.

Bob