GR Research LGK Review - Video

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
GR Research LGK Review - Video
« on: 17 Jun 2014, 01:38 pm »
Hey folks, thought this appropriate to post here for those interested!

I thoroughly enjoyed knocking out this review! These little speakers are really something special with all things considered and highly recommended.

The link will be after the blurb...

"Like the story of David and Goliath, the LGK’s are speakers that prove when it comes to Hi-Fidelity that size can be deceiving. For anyone in the DIY crowrd that is looking for a small desktop speaker that could easily double duty in a medium room or larger room using filters, look no further. These speakers will knock your socks off. Near perfect midrange, pinpoint accuracy and imaging that sets the gold standard by which most speakers should be measures, this “little giant killers” are simply stunning especially at the asking price of $189/kit."

http://www.newrecordday.com/gr-research-lgk/

Thanks and please let me know if you have any comments, criticism or anything else to help improve my reviews!

-Ron

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: GR Research LGK Review - Video
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2014, 06:59 pm »
Thanks for another tasty video review!

Now that you've dipped your toe into the single driver end of the water, you should try something a bit more serious.

And where was your wife Sara this time?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2014, 08:55 pm »
Now that you've dipped your toe into the single driver end of the water, you should try something a bit more serious.

Pretty presumptuous of you to think that.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:32 pm »
Hey Danny didn't mean to bend your nose.  The LGK is affordable and I'm sure it's really nice but only uses a $35, 3-inch driver from an unknown supplier in a ported design.  So there's a lot of single driverville yet to explore.

Just to add perspective (and not to brag) but my single driver speakers use $560 drivers (5 pound AlNiCo magnets, rated 30-20,000 Hz) that I spent another $600 to be treated.  Beyond traditional drivers are whizzers, field coils, etc.  Then you can look into various cabinet designs: rear/front loaded horns, double rear loaded horns, TWPT, transmission lines, and variations of open baffle.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:23 pm »
Hey Danny didn't mean to bend your nose.  The LGK is affordable and I'm sure it's really nice but only uses a $35, 3-inch driver from an unknown supplier in a ported design.  So there's a lot of single driverville yet to explore.

Just to add perspective (and not to brag) but my single driver speakers use $560 drivers (5 pound AlNiCo magnets, rated 30-20,000 Hz) that I spent another $600 to be treated.  Beyond traditional drivers are whizzers, field coils, etc.  Then you can look into various cabinet designs: rear/front loaded horns, double rear loaded horns, TWPT, transmission lines, and variations of open baffle.

Don't let the price fool you.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2014, 01:40 pm by Danny Richie »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:38 pm »
JLM and I just exchanged some PM's.

Again, sorry to have come across a bit defensive. Like I said, a lot of work went into these little drivers and I hate seeing them be dismissed because I am bringing them out at a low price point.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:06 pm »
In this hobby, price is largely irrelevant.

An analogy is like spending $50K to renovate your kitchen. Yeah, it's got lots of stainless steel appliances, marble countertops, expensive pots and pans, etc., but if you can't cook very well, it doesn't matter. I buy GR Research products because Danny is a master chef who can make delicious meals even in a soup kitchen. :lol:   

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2014, 11:43 pm »

Danny often exceeds many companies willingness to R&D, and be specific on designs for drivers. Toe to toe you might be surprised how much money is in some drivers without near as much thought. Sometimes the money might be compensation for the little things they ignore, that you find on some of Danny's drivers that are competing with them. Take a close look at one of his M165's, it looks small and fragile, but if you look close there isn't what you'd call a lack of thought put into nearly every part of it.

That being said, sometimes I do wonder what an expensive driver would be like from Danny.

It shouldn't be a surprise that his LGK's are that good, given that some very low effort similar sized drivers have been circling around in the audio world with respect for such a long time.