Interesting new speaker/driver

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Interesting new speaker/driver
« on: 17 Dec 2013, 11:48 pm »
Cambridge Audio Aero 3

It's a bipole/surround speaker that uses a pair of remarkable 2.5 inch drivers (80-22,000 Hz, 88 dB/8 ohms) called BMR (balanced mode radiator) that supposedly has a very wide sweet spot.

srb

Re: Interesting new speaker/driver
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:02 am »
Cambridge Audio Aero 3
It's a bipole/surround speaker that uses a pair of remarkable 2.5 inch drivers

From what I could see on the Cambridge Audio website

The Aero 3 surround uses a pair of 4" BMR drivers.

The Aero 2 bookshelf uses a 2.25" BMR driver crossed over to a 6-1/2" woofer at 250Hz.

Steve

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2013, 05:46 pm »
Yes, but the larger BMR drivers from the Aero 3 made me think of this circle.  2 dB less efficient but goes nearly 2 octaves deeper.  BTW the BMR driver is a concentric pleated design.  Here's a link:

www.cambridgeaudio.com/pages/aero-speakers

stereogeek

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2013, 01:57 pm »
For you DIY guys.The drivers are made by Hi-Wave.Check for info at Parts Express.Looks like an interesting idea! May try a pair myself for a desktop system with a small sub!

Steve

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2013, 04:03 pm »
For you DIY guys.The drivers are made by Hi-Wave.Check for info at Parts Express.Looks like an interesting idea! May try a pair myself for a desktop system with a small sub!

Steve

Unfortunately the efficiency of the 2 drivers I found were quite low (81 - 83 dB/w/m) and power limit would barely reach 90 dB.

speavler

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2014, 06:32 am »
Interesting

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:34 pm »
Of course the original was the Cambridge Audio Minx 10 (later the 11).

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/minx-min-11-speaker
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2014, 11:57 am by JLM »

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2014, 08:26 pm »
Unfortunately the efficiency of the 2 drivers I found were quite low (81 - 83 dB/w/m) and power limit would barely reach 90 dB.
-
Yes - i have the aero 2's (bookshelves) - had them about 1month and a half - your right they are not really sensitive at all - my guess is around 85db

but lets not get caught up in the sensitivity - these speakers are incredible for $499 - they image better than anything with a conventional tweeter that i have heard -  they to me are an amazing breakthrough in whats possible at this price range.

the amount of insight and clarity are amazing - they totally blow away forever those cheap pioneer speakers - that everyone is raving about (albeit at 4 times the price)

they fill a big room with sound - they are not sweet spot dependent - dont get me started talking about how good this speaker is - i can go on and on and on and on

FireGuy

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2014, 08:46 pm »
-
Yes - i have the aero 2's (bookshelves) - had them about 1month and a half - your right they are not really sensitive at all - my guess is around 85db

but lets not get caught up in the sensitivity - these speakers are incredible for $499 - they image better than anything with a conventional tweeter that i have heard -  they to me are an amazing breakthrough in whats possible at this price range.

the amount of insight and clarity are amazing - they totally blow away forever those cheap pioneer speakers - that everyone is raving about (albeit at 4 times the price)

they fill a big room with sound - they are not sweet spot dependent - dont get me started talking about how good this speaker is - i can go on and on and on and on

Has anyone heard the Aero 6 Towers?

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2014, 11:57 am »
Hey guys, this here is the single driver circle.

Get those horrible, flawed, ridiculous looking speakers out of here.   :P

Now if you can find the BMR driver by itself and add subwoofers, that'd be OK.

ejfud

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2014, 03:27 pm »
I wonder how this thing is crossed over. Is the BMR running Fullrange with two helper woofers or are the top two drivers a two-way with the bottom woofer a sub of shorts?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2014, 03:32 pm »
I wonder how this thing is crossed over. Is the BMR running Fullrange with two helper woofers or are the top two drivers a two-way with the bottom woofer a sub of sorts?

The BMR crosses at 250hz to the 2 woofers, kind of like a FAST (fullrange assisted).

Lin