The last speaker I will ever own?

The Rascal KING

The last speaker I will ever own?
« on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:42 pm »
Hi!
Ive been haunting this and other forums for a couple of years now looking to upgrade my system from bookshelf to towers. I like to get as much feed back as possible and absolutely KNOW that I am getting the right speaker. I simply do not have the money to audition speakers and like most people on this forum I want the most for my hard earned money.

With that out of the way, I am looking for movie/music speakers about 80/20. Since these are probably going to be the last speakers I get for the next 20 years; I want something that is full range, efficient enough for tube amp if I want to start getting into vinyl, and build well enough to handle whatever I want to throw at it from hip hop to classical.

With all that in mind, my target speaker is going to be the Tekton Lore. I thought about the smaller M-lore but for a few hundred more I can get the full range Lore. I could save up another year or two to get the Pen Dragons, but I just don't want to wait any longer.

Is this the best route or is there a new contender in the $1k range?

Current system:
NHT Super Ones
Energy ES8 sub
Denon 1913

Past equipment:
Acoustic Research AR 310HO

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: The last speaker I will ever own?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2013, 02:44 am »
Check availability, but yes these are highly regarded by reviewers and owners alike.  Not sexy but they're highly efficient and offer great content value. 

Most hardcore HT fans wouldn't be satisfied with response only down to 30 Hz though, however at this price you'd be hard pressed to do better with your criteria. 

Last speakers for 20 years?  Hard to say.

By the way, you don't need tubes to enjoy vinyl.

yeldarb

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2013, 03:29 pm »
I bought the Lore a year or more ago, thinking the same thing.  "Last ones".  And they might be.  I previously had (still do, in closet) some Dynaudio MDY3 with a subwoofer.  Everything was there, bass, mids and highs, all detailed with a great soundstage.  But I was always listening to a speaker system.  With the Lore, the music is just THERE.  Bass notes fill my listening space so effortlessly, that either the speaker cones must be massless or horn loaded.  But they are just whizzer coned speakers.  Designed by someone who knew what they were doing.  And the tweeter is well integrated.
Some folks denigrate a rising high end based on the tweeter specs.  But if you look at off axis curves, the tweeter is much more flat in response.  And, it appears to me that your seated height is about 15 degrees off axis of the tweeter.  Once, again, Eric Alexander knew what he was doing.

I encourage you to try them, even though you will probably have to wait to get a pair.  Mine are plain black.  If there is a WAF, wood veneer will go a loooooooong way.

Sorry if I sound like a fan boy.  I used to sell good audio equipment back in the golden age of the mid 70's, when CD's were not available. I know what good sound is and I think the Lore is a bargain.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2013, 02:52 am »
I still love my speakers, but wonder if a dipole MLTL floorstander with say 4 inch drivers and matched amp & DSP (for extended bass under lower spls) would be even better.

steve f

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2013, 09:34 pm »
Rascal, if you can build speaker boxes, take a look at PI Speakers.

Steve

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2013, 03:16 am »
Hi,

Not sure which version of the speaker your considering but for $1400US you definitely should consider the Tekton Lore S.  It uses an Seas tweeter and 8inch Seas driver from the Nextel range.  Mate this with a Redwine Audio Signature 15 and you'd be in heaven (referenced from a review).

If at all possible try to audition a pair because it is so difficult to know whether you will like these speakers without listening to them.  A review will only get you so far.  That said everything I've read about this company seems to be impressive.

Cheers Rod