Ryan Thorell custom flat top guitar

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Ryan Thorell custom flat top guitar
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:18 am »
Pics taken about a week ago; ETA should be less than a month.  Should equal or beat a Schoenberg (Tiburon CA) or Klein (Sonoma CA) priced multiples more.  The world's best classical builder has a twelve year lead time, making my eight month wait seem a bargain.

Adirondack (red) birch top, olive wood from Zambia back/sides (sound quality similar to Brazilian rosewood), turquoise rosette (each part of the rosette that is not turquoise is wood hand cut & assembled by the builder).  Am esp pleased that both the nut & bridge sizes are custom fit.  This is Ryan's first guitar sized larger than a "0000" but smaller than a Dreadnaught; some call this a mini-Jumbo, Taylor call it "Grand Symphony", R Taylor call it "Style 1".         

I'll bring the guitar to Bill Berndt's house when I visit to hear his new Empire TT after the arm arrives. 

One of Ryan's mahagony guitars stringed for the first time just minutes before I played it had sound qualities of the best vintage classics (I owned a pre-war classic Martin, a Martin D28, a Gibson J40 & a Martin HD28LSV).

Lacquer thinner added to the back (below); diagonal flames crossing the grain of the back are not visible here but will be when it is finished.  Binding is cedar or redwood (can't remember)

« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2009, 04:06 am by ro7939 »

mike1964

Re: Ryan Thorell custom flat top guitar
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:54 pm »
Pics taken about a week ago; ETA should be less than a month.  Should equal or beat a Schoenberg (Tiburon CA) or Klein (Sonoma CA) priced multiples more.
Looks like it is going to be a nice one!

The world's best classical builder has a twelve year lead time, making my eight month wait seem a bargain.
Hmm.  I've always wanted to learn to play guitar.  If I order now, and start taking lessons, maybe I'll know how to play by the time it arrives.    :thumb:  jk of course

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: Ryan Thorell custom flat top guitar
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2009, 03:58 am »
More images tomorrow; getting closer, almost here.

Figured maple binding bordered w/ fine-line ebony inlay on the top.  Tuning machines are Gotoh Delta 510 series open-type w/ ebony heads.  Ouch!  Not your grandpa's guitar. 

Had to sell my last guitar last to buy this Thorell.  I'm intending to do more voice work for a friend's non-profit charity business, in which case I can justify getting decent mics & an interface to record the guitar.  Nice having original recordings of my own world-class instrument for system auditioning, no? 

Virtually everyone familiar w/ Klein & Schoenberg would agree they are two of the best living flat top builders.  Here's a used Klein for sale (recently Klein's exclusive broker for new instruments told me Steve currently does only experimental work & is NOT taking orders) http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned/klein/klein_s4_048/klein_s-4_048.php     There's a recording available at the above link; too bad it's closely mic'd w/ no room ambience.  Still you get a good taste of the tone, musicality, dynamics, presence & brilliance of the best spruce/Brazillian rosewood flat-tops.  Almost universally, a builder chooses between auditorium filling SPL, big dynamics w/ deep, penetrating bass (strumming/rhythm) or delicate microdynamics w/ shimmering treble (fingerpicking).  Klein combines both to an almost impossible degree, like no other.  You can dig into this guitar & peel the paint off the wall or pick it lightly like a OO size.

For anyone visiting the 2010 NAMM Show (industry only) my guitar will probably be there on loan.  This is Ryan's first guitar of this size, betweeen a Dreadnaught & OOOO.         
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 04:07 am by ro7939 »