Super Tower /R. Help Needed

oliverbubbles

Super Tower /R. Help Needed
« on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:21 am »
I recently acquired a set of Super Tower /R (?) at a price I could not turn down. Before I picked them up, the guys cat got a surround on one of the 12’s ( priced dropped even more😃).
Before he decided to sell, he was seeking advice. His description: all mids and woofers work. No tweeters at all. I advised him to check the bi-amp switches, solder joints on crossovers, and then driver voice coils. He said all was good but tweets did not work. He gave up, sold to me, and here we are.
I did not hook them up to check as I did not want to risk my amplifier. Also I already knew I wanted to bypass the switches and replace the oxidized 8 awg wire ( in every model I’ve seen so far).
I opened one cabinet and here is what I have:
Drivers:
-Motorola piezo (?) with associated resistors (2 paralleled) ( can’t read values of resistors at this time.
-JVC (?) ribbon with associated inductor ( no label on ribbon or inductor)
-Morel (?) tweets. Labels scraped off.
-5 inch mids #X5109. Rubber surround. Phase plug. Smooth cone.
-12 “ Misco #LC12W-8A. phase plug.
-15 inch label scraped off. Appears to be Goldwood die cast frame unit. No phase plug.
-15 inch old style passive.
Crossover:
Top plate:
-Bi-Amp switch
-1.0 inductor for bass
-(5) caps in parallel for mids. (3) 10, 4.7 K, .33 ( hand labeled as 33.5 ( for set?)(This in no way adds up. HELP)
Bottom plate:
-Lpad for ribbon with 3 caps in parallel. .15, .33, 1.0 K
-(2) caps in parallel 4.7 K, 3.3 K. Hand labeled as 8.0 ( from pair. This adds correctly to 8K uF)
Presence Lpad
Brilliance Lpad

My questions:
-Does anyone have proper schematic for this driver compliment?
-Do crossover components appear correct for this driver compliment?
-Bi-amp switches appear labeled to separate between bass and mids. But wiring is between mids and treble.
  I’m assuming this is incorrect?
-correct total values of capacitors for midrange?
-the yellow capacitors appear to be metal/ poly. Correct? No need to upgrade?
-what are the other three cap types? ( not yellow) should upgrade those or no?
-assume the 1.0 inductor can be upgraded to a lower DCR unit ok?
-tweets are Morel(?). Model?
-Ribbon JVC? Model? Associated inductor value?
-15 “ make? Model?

oliverbubbles

Re: Super Tower /R. Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:47 am »
I got the inductor off the back of the ribbon. It does not appear to be JVC. Here’s a pic of label I found underneath inductor.
No label on inductor.

ZAKski288

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2021, 04:33 am »
Here a picture of the crossover,  and a couple of extra pages. Hopefully you can read it. Get some deoxit and spray all the L pads good, then turn back and forth 20- 30 times. The L pads could be cause of the tweeters not working. Taking out the switch is a good idea. I took my out.  Good  luck.  Ken
My tweeters are Morel MDT-30.
12” woofer is the same.
15” woofer is Goldwood.

This is my Supertower R values

Link to another Supertower R build.
 https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143420.0
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2021, 02:31 pm by ZAKski288 »

oliverbubbles

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2021, 12:32 pm »
Thanks Ken.
The schematic is somewhat helpful, but shows different values on components from what mine have. I’m thinking either a running change or driver compliment being the reason for this.
The other pages you attached could also be helpful. I’ve never seen this before. But there appear to be some gaps. It mentions tests in specific steps, but I don’t see the test steps. Also the first page has steps/lines labeled 7-10. The second labeled 1-4. I don’t see 5 and 6. I’ll get my better glasses and be sure I’m not missing something that’s right in front of me.
Do you happen to have any more additional pages besides these 3?
Either way, thank you very much for taking your time to help me.
Steven

Update: For some reason, I couldn’t see all the pages you attached earlier. I see them now. Thank you. Sorry for any confusion.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2021, 03:55 pm by oliverbubbles »

ZAKski288

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2021, 04:13 am »
Hello Steven, do you have a resistor on your 12” woofer? Thanks Ken

oliverbubbles

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:13 am »
There is no resistor on the 12 in these cabinets.
The Larger subwoofer ( tall boy) I have does have a resistor on the 12, but also has different drivers for bith the 15 and 12.

oliverbubbles

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2021, 09:12 pm »
Update and bump in hopes of more helpful info.

Only opened one cabinet at this time.
FYI d the discrepancy in the capacitor values as described in OP.
Found the ribbon to have an apparent burnt ribbon as viewed through from of tweeter screen. Should be able to fabricate a new ribbon for this.
Found one Morel to have burnt VC. New diaphragm available from PE.
Found secondMorel to have broken VC it connection to lead wire. Removed both lead wires, unwrapped coil 1/4 turn in each leg, fed these through the doped area of tweeter surround and back to terminals. This one is now good. 

Still need further details on proper capacitor/ inductor/ resistor values for this driver compliment.

Not sure if John Casler, or the other member that worked with Brian could help. ( sorry, can’t remember his name right off)
Thanks in advance.

ZAKski288

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2021, 08:41 pm »
Steven, I just found this page : a parts list with some completely different capacitor values.

Quote from James Romeyn:
“Not to burst any bubbles...FYI: I estimate, with that model's many different driver evolutions throughout the years/decades it existed, there are at least a dozen different variations of crossover.  Including the tiny changes to slightly alter xo poles, more like 50.  I assembled VMPS for some years.”
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2021, 01:35 am by ZAKski288 »

oliverbubbles

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:04 pm »
Ken, Thanks again.
Any and all input is much appreciated.
James Roman is the person I alluded to in my previous comment. I couldn’t think of his name then. He worked closely with Brian C. On assembly and builds.
I know he would have tons of knowledge on these and was hoping he may see this and chime in.
Thanks again, Steven.