VMPS Mini Tower rebirth

BruceR

VMPS Mini Tower rebirth
« on: 27 Nov 2020, 12:40 am »
VMPS Mini Tower II purchased new at Cuomo's in Salem, NH in the mid to late 1980s -- can't remember the exact year.  They were floor demos, on sale for about $200/pr.  Not hooked up, sold "as is."  When I got them home i realized the drivers were blown.  A call to Itone Audio connected me with Brian Cheney, who took my credit card number, sent me a new pair of drivers and then waited to charge my card until I sent the old ones back for a recycling discount.  Years later after foam surrounds were giving out, he sold me upgrades, including the midrange.  I've recently (Nov 2020) refoamed the passive radiators, cleaned up everything and put them back into use.  Still a nice sound for a bargain price. 

Question:  Mine are somewhat different from others I've seen in photos.  Dimensions of mine are 35"x15"x15".  Is there any source for details on the variations in this model of VMPS?   

GeorgeAb

Re: VMPS Mini Tower rebirth
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2020, 09:49 pm »
Beautiful looking Mini Tower II you have there. The money you would have to pay to approach that level of sound today is crazy. Hopefully, someone can address variations, but Brian certainly did not let any moss grow on his designs as he was continue to refine. If you were not aware of these brochures they may help.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113199.0 

BruceR

Re: VMPS Mini Tower rebirth
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2020, 10:10 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and the link, which reaffirms my curiosity on changes through time.  As I recall, mine were Mini-tower II.  Don't remember if there was a suffix, but clearly the MT-IIa in the brochure shows some differences.