Media Servers / Western Digital Play

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Media Servers / Western Digital Play
« on: 4 Mar 2013, 05:17 am »
I've been looking at affordable media servers lately.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/03/wd-tv-play/

This one is $70 which seems like a bargain and it has a toslink/optical output.

Who's going to give this new class of machine a try?

The forthcoming Samsung device also has toslink/optical out.

ericlp151

Re: Media Servers / Western Digital Play
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2013, 06:12 pm »
had one...

Video was amazing... Audio was good if you used Dolby Digital or DTS via the optical link but the analog was dreadful.   Sadly. 

Maybe the next amp you make will have Optical SPDIF/Coaxial Digital inputs!    :thumb:

Tho you might be able to get a converter that takes digital to analog with bur brown DAC. 

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2013, 07:37 pm »
Certainly we will have a DAC and a USB DAC.  The question for me is whether it's worth building the rest of the stuff.  You're getting a lot of what makes OPPO different from other simple media players, in this $70 box.

ericlp151

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:51 pm »
Let me try again...

These boxes are great for kids room or bedroom tv sets.  Or Home Theater rooms where you have a digital 7.1 dolby / dts receiver.

This would be a poor choice for a music media server however since it's dacs are cheap and nasty.  If you are just looking for music media server go with a squeeze box where the built in DAC's are quality burrbrown stuff... 

skifasterslc

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:36 pm »
Eric,
if the dolby dts out is good, my question is how would a flac file sound out to my dac?  I need to do more research. I wonder what the jitter numbers look like, anyone know?

thx

ericlp151

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:01 pm »
Eric,
if the dolby dts out is good, my question is how would a flac file sound out to my dac?  I need to do more research. I wonder what the jitter numbers look like, anyone know?

thx

Well, you know what they say... Garbage in... Garbage out... 

That being said... All my recordings well, 95% of are VBR MP3's.   Because the built in DAC's on a Media Tank are so bad, I never kept it hooked up to the Analog side of it.  So, honestly, I don't know if a flac format would sound better.   Then again, it was a long time ago, maybe WD is putting in better DAC's but I highly doubt it.  Most people are bypassing the DAC's and using amps with digital fiber ports since most movies are encoded with Dolby or DTS ... I have some quadraphonic stuff that's been converted into DTS as well.   But at any rate, the only people that plug in the RCA Audio jacks would be folks just plugging in TV Audio and it's fine for that.   You would never plug RCA audio straight out for a high end amp.