Band of Brothers

ajzepp

Band of Brothers
« on: 3 Jan 2009, 11:51 am »
If you guys haven't noticed, Amazon has the complete series on BD for like $35 bucks. I'm on episode 8 (of ten) and I can assure you it's an excellent investment.

I grew up around WWII vets in my family, men who helped shape me into the person I am today, so this period in our country's history is very meaningful and important to me. This series was on HBO in the late 90s and was produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. It has many familiar faces in the cast, and both the sound and image quality are excellent. I don't know anyone who has seen these episodes and not been affected by them. I haven't made it to the special features yet, but apparently they are as good or better than the episodes themselves.

Check it out :)

millionmonkeys

Re: Band of Brothers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2009, 01:01 pm »
Spot on...one of the best series ever made. It blew me away. Having real guys from Easy Company talk at the start of each episode was brilliant.  While it is hard to find, an Aussie equivalent is called The Battle for Long Tan. Only one documentary and diffferent style but equally powerful...

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2009, 03:16 pm »
Spot on...one of the best series ever made. It blew me away. Having real guys from Easy Company talk at the start of each episode was brilliant.  While it is hard to find, an Aussie equivalent is called The Battle for Long Tan. Only one documentary and diffferent style but equally powerful...

Oh, yeah, seeing those guys so full of emotion over half a decade later is very touching. This is the sort of program I think everyone should see...each episode has stayed with me and I'm really looking forward to seeing the last two.

Thanks for the rec on "Long Tan"...I'm disappointed that Netflix doesn't seem to carry it, as they tend to have just about everything :(  I'm going to keep looking though!

John151

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:54 pm »
Band Of Brothers is indeed a great series.   I have the original DVD version, and would love to see it in Blue Ray. 

Thanks for the heads up!

anthony a.

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2009, 05:28 am »
one of the best ww2 series ever.  acting is top notch and nothing is overdone or unrealistic.  i am a ww2 fanatic and this one is in my top list.  bd version for only $35 is insane, i got the sd version with metal can box for like $60 on ebay 2 years ago and that was a deal.  anyone owning a bd player should get this series at that price.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:01 am »
My oldest son bought me this series for Christmas, but paid $79 at FYE and it was the SD version.  When I thanked him then told him I was gonna return it for the Blu-Ray version he was surprised FYE didn't tell him about it.  I'm glad they didn't cuz I ordered it from Amazon Christmas afternoon for $35, and told him to keep the change (he needs it).  Win-win.  It arrives Monday. 

randytsuch

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:00 pm »
On Christmas week, Best Buy had all HBO series for 1/2 off, so I picked it up and gave it to myself for Christmas  :D

So far, I have only watched 4 episodes, but I have really enjoyed it.  Blu Ray version looks really good.

Randy

mca

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:01 pm »
Either this sale is over or I can't find it, can someone please post the link to it?

John151

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:49 pm »
Amazon appears to have it for $54.99 new directly from Amazon, and from $43.99 new from one of their "sellers".

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Blu-ray-Damian-Lewis/dp/B00129H7VS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1231093333&sr=8-1

ton1313

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:53 am »
Yeah, looks like the price has gone back up. I'd still pay $54 for it, but the holiday price they had going on was awesome.  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:24 pm »
Wow, I just finished watching Episode 9: Why We Fight.  As emotional as some of this series has been, this episode is the one that really got to me.

This series is really well done.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:46 pm »
My Grandfather was the first Mayor of Northfield Village, Ohio.  He was also on the draft board.  My Father was one of the first young men to fight in WWII.  He started in Africa under Patton then went up through Italy (Anzio & Palermo) and on into Austria.  He made the grade of Sargent.  I still remember having to give him foot massages because his feet were so screwed up from not being able to take his combat boots off for many days in a row.  They put him and several other vets on a ship after VE day.  They didn't tell them where they were going.  They finally figured it out when they got close to the Panama Canal.  They were going to invade Japan.  They were just getting into the Pacific side of the canal when the first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. He never talked much about the war although I remember him saying that most of his company couldn't figure out why they couldn't take Berlin(had to wait for the Russians).   I was always fascinated with WWII(Combat was my favorite show).  However, when I mentioned I was thinking of enlisting in the Army out of high school (during Vietnam) he got very angry and said "no you're not, you're going to college..."

Band of Brothers is one the finest renditions of just a small part of that global conflict.  It makes most of the "Hollywood" offerings look foolish in comparison.

rklein
Randy

John151

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:59 pm »
He never talked much about the war although I remember him saying that most of his company couldn't figure out why they couldn't take Berlin(had to wait for the Russians). 

Not taking Berlin was clearly a huge mistake.  Stalin was every bit as evil/insane as Hitler!  Not sure why he does not get as much air time as his German rival.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:56 pm »
Not to hijack this thread but I am unabashedly a history geek.  I love it. 

Not taking Berlin was clearly a huge mistake.  Stalin was every bit as evil/insane as Hitler!  Not sure why he does not get as much air time as his German rival.

As the good objective historians state - "The winners get to write the history books..."  Stalin was just as ruthless, maybe more so than Hitler.  Yet Hitler lost and Stalin won.  How many of us in our 50's spent our grade school and junior high(yeah, yeah, middle school...) years idolizing the cowboys and sh**ting on the Native Americans?

Getting back to Band of Brothers... I also love the accompanying soundtrack.  It along with the script moves me emotionally.

rklein

anthony a.

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2009, 09:35 pm »

hahaha, in our day, theres many "other's" who have done similar to hitler and stalin.... only politically.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2009, 11:19 pm »
He never talked much about the war although I remember him saying that most of his company couldn't figure out why they couldn't take Berlin(had to wait for the Russians). 

Probably because:
He was marketed as "Uncle Joe" during the war
He didn't keep voluminous film files that the West could mine for TV documentaries
and Americans have a notoriously poor memory about history and things that don't directly impact us (few US soldiers killed by the Soviets)

This ain't a political post is it?   :oops:

Woodsea

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2009, 12:29 am »
Anyone that studies a minute amount of history will know that Stalin was worse than Hitler on the sane/insane meter.  At least we know that Hitler was human, he had the infinite hots for Eva, he pined for some other honeys as well.  A prominent few were of the 5 starred variety, which might have caused his disdain for their maternal background, history might be different if they had not spurned his maniacal infatuation. 
Band of Brothers is a fantastic drama, I went through it inside of 4 days.  Highly recommended.

randytsuch

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:14 pm »
On sale again on Amazon, today only (tuesday) $35

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_20890_11079350_pe_t4//

Randy

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2009, 06:21 pm »
Got mine ordered, will likely be receiving it today.