Spy

mcgsxr

Spy
« on: 11 Sep 2015, 05:10 pm »
I went into this spoof type movie expecting it to be OK.

And it was OK.

There were moments of absolute hilarity, but you have to be prepared for the strong language and the bawdy humor.

I had moments of bursting out laughing on the plane (sorry to those around me) as there were 3-4 really really funny parts to me.

Overall though, it was just OK.

Wind Chaser

Re: Spy
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2015, 06:24 pm »
I thought it was better than okay so I saw it twice.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2015, 08:32 pm »
I loved it!  Best thing Melissa McCarthy has done, even better than Bridesmaids. :thumb:  Statham was great, too- he's a surprisingly good comedic actor and he does a good job of sending up his usual roles.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:58 pm »
I had really high hopes for this one, but have to admit it fell very flat for me, as well. I was looking at my watch (well, the clock on the cable box, anyway) wondering if it would ever end. I think I see Melissa McCarthy in the same way others see Will Ferrell...meaning, I laugh when Ferrell sneezes, whereas others find him really annoying and unfunny.

In all fairness, this film has received a staggering RT score of 93%, so I'm very firmly seated among the minority. I loved some of the cast (Statham, Jude Law), but unfortunately I just didn't connect with the humor.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2015, 04:28 pm »
I had really high hopes for this one, but have to admit it fell very flat for me, as well. I was looking at my watch (well, the clock on the cable box, anyway) wondering if it would ever end. I think I see Melissa McCarthy in the same way others see Will Ferrell...meaning, I laugh when Ferrell sneezes, whereas others find him really annoying and unfunny.

In all fairness, this film has received a staggering RT score of 93%, so I'm very firmly seated among the minority. I loved some of the cast (Statham, Jude Law), but unfortunately I just didn't connect with the humor.

I'm hesitant to watch it for the same reason. Most comedies aren't funny at all. It's like you have to be trained by TV to think they're funny or something.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2015, 04:47 pm »
Most comedies aren't funny at all.

That is very true, but Spy was laugh out loud funny for me.

Could mood be a factor? Maybe, but I saw twice and I enjoyed it very much both times.  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2015, 12:34 am »
"which is the worst by the way, poor people everywhere and cabbage is constantly cooking"  :lol:

The rest of the movie was pretty weak besides when she barfs on the dead guy.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2015, 02:47 pm »
Loved it. This movie had me when Statham mentioned the 'Face Off Machine'. I love that the film is centered around strong women characters. Not every joke lands but there are so many that the ones that do tide me over until the next. Statham is awesome. In fact everyone is great. Really slick production too.

It's the kind of foul mouthed comedy I grew watching in the 80s before everything became PG-13. More please. Can't wait to see McCarthy in the new Ghostbusters.