Netflix: What to watch?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #280 on: 18 Nov 2016, 06:12 pm »
Supernatural is freaking awesome!!!
Obviously made by people who are horror fans.  Great music too! Actually heard UFO "Rock Bottom" playing in their car! :thumb:

That's true, one of the best things about the show is their love of classics, from the black Impala they drive all over the Heartlands, to the AC-DC blasting on the stereo (and a ton of other classic Rock music).  They make all that stuff cool again.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #281 on: 18 Nov 2016, 10:38 pm »
That's true, one of the best things about the show is their love of classics, from the black Impala they drive all over the Heartlands, to the AC-DC blasting on the stereo (and a ton of other classic Rock music).  They make all that stuff cool again.
Also love the names they come up with for their FBI alias's.

wushuliu

« Reply #282 on: 18 Nov 2016, 10:59 pm »
Agreed it is a very clever show.  Once the second season starts.  First season was (to be honest) quite difficult to get through.  The first season it tried to be scary and it just wasn't.  I liked it in the second season because they gave up on the whole "lets be scary" and focused more on the brothers and their broader world/universe. 

Best Supernatural GIF ever (how do I put spoiler tags on this?):

LOL.  Great gif.

wushuliu

« Reply #283 on: 18 Nov 2016, 11:02 pm »
More faves

Person of interest
Crazy ex girlfriend (especially for socal crowd)
Life (planet Earth)
Anything that involves Warner Herzog

stlrman

« Reply #284 on: 3 Dec 2016, 09:39 pm »
3% is a new Netflix original and it's very cool !!! :thumb:
A Dystopian thriller. Check it out ! It's really well done and exciting .

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/netflix-3-percent-review-season-1-brazil-hunger-games-cesar-charlone-1201750084/

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #285 on: 4 Dec 2016, 09:55 pm »
Dicte is a crime procedural from Denmark. It's main character is a crime reporter with a penchant for stumbling into the cases she ends up covering. The show is quite unrealistic but entertaining nonetheless.

stlrman

« Reply #286 on: 17 Dec 2016, 12:18 am »
The OA is a new Scifi series starting today .
It's getting a lot of buzz , I will be checking it out in the future .

Check out this review from NY Mag:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/netflix-oa-is-your-binge-worthy-december-surprise.html

Tyson

« Reply #287 on: 17 Dec 2016, 12:31 am »
So much good stuff!  I'm still behind on the latest seasons of Orange is the New Black, The 100, Black Mirror, Supernatural, Marco Polo, both seasons of Narcos, Stranger Things, Orphan Black (on Amazon Prime), hell even Downton Abbey.  Now there's the OA, 3% AND Colony just hit Netflix.  Shit, I can't keep up.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #288 on: 17 Dec 2016, 12:33 am »
Does anyone know if there is an undubbed version of 3%?

santacore

« Reply #289 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:06 am »
Peaky Blinders turned into a very enjoyable series. Marcella, Bloodlines, and Narcos are also very solid.

mick wolfe

« Reply #290 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:26 am »
Yep, Narcos definitely sucked me in. Very intriguing and well cast. BTW, if it wasn't for sports in general, I'd dump cable in a heartbeat.

WGH

« Reply #291 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:34 am »
So much good stuff!  I'm still behind on the latest seasons of Orange is the New Black, The 100, Black Mirror, Supernatural, Marco Polo, both seasons of Narcos, Stranger Things, Orphan Black (on Amazon Prime), hell even Downton Abbey.  Now there's the OA, 3% AND Colony just hit Netflix.  Shit, I can't keep up.

Don't forget about season 1 of Ash vs Evil Dead, it's often so funny you will die laughing (in an unusually gruesome manner). Season 2 is just as good too.

mick wolfe

« Reply #292 on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:18 am »
Yeah Wayne.....I always find myself telling my friends that these series either via HBO, Showtime, Netflix, etc. are far more intriguing than the crappola in the theaters.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #293 on: 17 Dec 2016, 03:53 am »
Does anyone know if there is an undubbed version of 3%?

On Apple TV and Oppo you can choose original Brazilian portuguesa with English subtitles (how I watched it). On Apple TV hold down the center button while viewing and the option will come up. I think with the oppo it was the same (hold center button in the middle of the navigation arrows).

I wanted like the show better than I actually did after just finishing up. The first three episodes were compelling,  then it sort of dragged from there. The last episode did raise some interesting questions and perspectives. I also found myself having to look past the low production values a little more than I would have liked.  So overall I would give it a B-.

rpf

« Reply #294 on: 17 Dec 2016, 04:16 am »
If 'The Crown' is available on US Netflix, it is worth watching. Outstanding production values, writing and acting.

Second "The Crown" which is on US Netflix. Superb. With a sometimes "Brucknerian" soundtrack that really fits.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2016, 06:16 pm by rpf »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #295 on: 17 Dec 2016, 04:50 am »
On Apple TV and Oppo you can choose original Brazilian portuguesa with English subtitles (how I watched it). On Apple TV hold down the center button while viewing and the option will come up. I think with the oppo it was the same (hold center button in the middle of the navigation arrows).

I wanted like the show better than I actually did after just finishing up. The first three episodes were compelling,  then it sort of dragged from there. The last episode did raise some interesting questions and perspectives. I also found myself having to look past the low production values a little more than I would have liked.  So overall I would give it a B-.

Thanks for the tip.

Just watched the first two episodes of The OA. So far very promising. The extended cold open in episode 1 is really well done.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #296 on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:06 pm »
The OA is a new Scifi series starting today .
It's getting a lot of buzz , I will be checking it out in the future .

Check out this review from NY Mag:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/netflix-oa-is-your-binge-worthy-december-surprise.html

I binged it yesterday and although I was intrigued enough to watch it through I'm not sure I can say I like it. This quote here is from the vulture review..

"Admittedly, The OA contains some moments that may come across as goofy rather than in the meaningful, mystical way in which they’re intended."

I definitely had to laugh a few times at several scenes and only wondered what the actors thought when given the script. The trailer I saw earlier in the week was very deceiving as it's not at all what I thought it would be as a sc/fi thriller but rather something else. I think it's one of those shows/movies where they had an interesting idea but not sure it was executed the way it could have been.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #297 on: 23 Dec 2016, 03:13 pm »
If you are a Buffy fan, you will probably like Crazyhead. Check it out on Netflix.

After working my way through all but one of the episodes, I feel compelled to modify my first post. While Crazyhead has some of the charm of Buffy, it is a much weaker (and far courser) series. At this point, I would give it a C+ on overall quality and inventiveness.
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2017, 09:04 pm by Atlplasma »

bside123

« Reply #298 on: 23 Dec 2016, 05:59 pm »
Has anyone checked out "Black Mirror"? British series. Dark. Great acting. Very provocative.

Combines technology with the tendencies of human nature in the near future. Thought stirring and not necessarily pretty.

Tyson

« Reply #299 on: 23 Dec 2016, 07:33 pm »
Has anyone checked out "Black Mirror"? British series. Dark. Great acting. Very provocative.

Combines technology with the tendencies of human nature in the near future. Thought stirring and not necessarily pretty.

Yes - people compare it to a modern day Twilight Zone and I think that's pretty apt.