Too many options and not enough knowledge for a decision.

Evo-No_Revo

Sorry if this is too wordy but I want to paint a picture to get most accurate responses. 

I just sold off my Cornwall IVs.  I like them but not what I call audiophile speaker...but very fun speaker.  I have a pair of Maggie LRS that I keep around for use sometimes in my garage or in my main system if I want to play with the Maggie sound.  I like the Maggie sound but that pinpoint listening position is kind of tough to deal with.  I have had Martin Logan ESL 15a, George Short of North Creek Music Fibonacci Technologies Vaya Ribbon Tower (never should have sold those) and like the way they fill a room with sound.  Driver speakers mainly TAD Evolution and Von Schweikert Audio VR 5 SE.  I am interested in ESL, Ribbon or OB type speakers now. 

My main system is the family A/V setup.  It is 2.1 via Lyngdorf TDAI-3400.  This system is setup for 2 channel audio playback.  The video playback for movie and such is not really much concern.  If it is good enough for 2 channel it is good enough for video playback to me.  This is in our main room so there is mostly background music being played so to speak.

I use the TDAI-3400 for the convenience of the internal crossover settings and the ability to use multiple amps for biamping if desired.  I have been down the path of  pretty high dollar systems.  I never got it right.  Now I want convenience and good sound.  I use RoomPerfect room correction with this amp.  I wouldn't own it if I wasn't using RoomPerfect.  I love tubes but not into it these days.  Simple is best for now. 

Anyway, I have been considering GR Research or possibly upgrading my Magnepan LRS or moving up to Magnepan 1.7i.  For the LRS I have Mystands and OCD Mikey's LRS fuse it.  It helped some.  I listen to classic rock, prog rock old and new, female singer song writers, soft rock and a little Krall, Simone, P. Barber and such.  Not much into classical. 

I don't really listen very loud but I do like to turn it up when the mood strikes. It is important to have low volume detail as best as I can.  The Cornwall IVs were good at that. 

I am not a wood worker but know a few furniture and cabinet builders so I can get help for a build. 

The room's main listening area is 18.5ft across and 17.5ft front to back.  As you can see there is a dining area left turned into workout area, foyer left and open window to kitchen and open right to breakfast area.  The ceiling is 10ft. 

The top of the LRS are 3.75ft from the front wall.  I recently moved my audio cabinet to the side so that nothing is between speakers except sub...which is REL S/SHO 3.  I run it low level instead of the high level REL way from the speaker outputs.  LRS are 7ft center to center right now but can go up to 8ft apart. 

Center listening position is 10.5 ft from both speakers and sub to my head. 

My options I am considering..  My plan eventually is to build the NX-Otica but that might be a year or two away.  In the mean time...

1. Keep the LRS, GR modification kit, keep REL.

2. Keep the LRS, GR modification kit, 1 GR Twin Servo Sub cabinet in between speakers. 

3. Buy Magnepan 1.7i, GR modification kit, keep REL.

4. Build NX-Studio with upgrades, keep REL.  I don't know if that is enough speaker for the room....probably.  I have some good speaker stands.  I can get the front of the NX-Studio up to 4ft off the front wall.

I intend to eventually build two GR Twin servo sub towers. 

Thanks for any input.

Christopher

I can't make this picture up right...

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2022, 08:07 pm by Evo-No_Revo »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Too many options and not enough knowledge for a
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2022, 06:43 pm »
If you're planning on moving up to the NX Otica relatively soon, I'd just keep the LRS and build out 1 or 2 of the OB servo subs.  The servo subs are the foundations for the NX-Otica and they will also give your system a step up in bass quality. 

Keep the REL though, it's a good sub for the .1 signal from the HT setup.

Evo-No_Revo

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2022, 06:57 pm »
That is sort of my thought. 

It could be two years or longer before I build the Otica.  Who knows when and if that will happen in this clown world. It isn't happening anytime soon. 
I don't use the REL with LFE. The LRS and sub are crossed high and low at 75 right now.  I don't do anything with my setup for video playback other than hit play.  Whatever way I run my audio system for 2 channel music is what is happening when I play movies.  I put zero effort in HT and no LFE. 

I am curious to know how the NX-Studio might compare to LRS.  Never mind what sub...just NX-Studio to LRS comparison.  I hope that the Studio would beat out the LRS!

One more point, we are in a rental.  I have been here for a few years but not sure NX-Otica would work in whatever is next if we move.  Downsizing is sort of the way of the world now.

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2022, 07:10 pm »
In a lively environment like yours, I'd swap out the NX-Studio, as I always found the LRS a bit edgy and that'll be exacerbated by a bright room.  The NX-Studio will be smoother, have puncher bass and more flexibility re: placement in the room. 

Evo-No_Revo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2022, 08:05 pm »
That seems to be my favorite move right now.  I can engage in an audio project, get rid of the LRS and the tiny focal point and get ready for two dual sub towers in the future.  The sub towers might come one at a time.  Build one and a few months later get the second one.  If the NX-Otica ever happens I will already be set with subs. 

I really was curious how the little Maggie stacked up against the NX-Studio. 

I am planning on some room treatments.  Plus RoomPerfect helps in the area to a debatable degree.   It definitely calms down the room. 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Too many options and not enough knowledge for a decision.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2022, 11:54 pm »
I was working from home today watching movies and F1 and I can say that the NX-Studios are fantastic for double duty movie watching. Who the heck needs Atmos when you have speakers this good.

Evo-No_Revo

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2022, 01:00 am »
I was working from home today watching movies and F1 and I can say that the NX-Studios are fantastic for double duty movie watching. Who the heck needs Atmos when you have speakers this good.

I hear you about Atmos.  Yes it is cool.  No I don't miss my 7.1 channel HT setup. 

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2022, 01:17 am »
Absolutely.  I use the GR Research Super 7's in my HT setup and I do not miss my previous multi-channel setup one bit. 

Evo-No_Revo

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2022, 01:47 am »
I see there is a pair of Super V for sale.  I am not really familiar with the GR Research chronology of speakers.  Where do the Super V fit into the OB world of systems? 

If I could just spend 3k or less on the Super V and get subs and a coaxial for mids and highs that is of interest.  Unless people in general agree that the NX-Studio do much more with 2 double sub towers than the Super V.   

The TAD Evolutions I owned and powered by Dartzeel NHB 108 Model One were really spectacular and they used a coaxial mid/tweeter.  I really like those speakers but way too expensive. Anyway, I am interested in opinions regarding Super V. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2022, 08:18 pm »
Evo-No_Revo, nice chatting with you on the phone. Let me know what you decide.

Evo-No_Revo

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2022, 02:50 pm »
Evo-No_Revo, nice chatting with you on the phone. Let me know what you decide.

Hi Danny,

Dude with the Super V never responded so I ordered the NX-Studio.  I am going to get them built and use the REL S/SHO 3 for now.  Hopefully I can get the double sub towers sooner than later and do them one at time to round out the setup. 

The LRS are going up for sale.  They have Mystands and OCD Mikey's (Mike Powell) fuse delete....if anyone might be interested. 

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2022, 03:02 pm »
Hi Danny,

Dude with the Super V never responded so I ordered the NX-Studio.  I am going to get them built and use the REL S/SHO 3 for now.  Hopefully I can get the double sub towers sooner than later and do them one at time to round out the setup. 

The LRS are going up for sale.  They have Mystands and OCD Mikey's (Mike Powell) fuse delete....if anyone might be interested. 

Very nice.  Based on what I heard when I was in Texas, you're going from a moderately good OB planar to one of the very best bookshelf speakers in the world, and that bookshelf still has a large majority of that imaging and realism magic that a full OB setup has.  The jump in quality is just insane.  Congrats man.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2022, 03:18 pm »
Sounds like someone is going to have fun in the garage here soon!  :popcorn: I will say Peter's assembly video was really helpful, as was his tip of using threaded inserts for mounting driver/tweeter.
https://youtu.be/CYrdScf9eyM
There are a lot of helpful build threads here for these, and in mine I even went into some painting tips, if you choose to go down that road. Just remember to try and enjoy the build process almost as much as the end result. You won't be disappointed!

Evo-No_Revo

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2022, 10:13 pm »
Sounds like someone is going to have fun in the garage here soon!  :popcorn: I will say Peter's assembly video was really helpful, as was his tip of using threaded inserts for mounting driver/tweeter.
https://youtu.be/CYrdScf9eyM
There are a lot of helpful build threads here for these, and in mine I even went into some painting tips, if you choose to go down that road. Just remember to try and enjoy the build process almost as much as the end result. You won't be disappointed!

I have watched some of Peter's videos.  The threaded inserts are of much interest.  I hate the idea of screwing the drivers into MDF with just wood screws.  I like to take stuff apart multiple times if I want to without consequence.  It seems too much like the way my beautiful old ADS 710s and ADS 1290s were built.  I am definitely doing the inserts. 

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2022, 10:00 pm »
Great choice on ordering the NX STUDIO KIT! :thumb: I was also a former owner of the ADS 710's, nice speaker indeed. Although the Studio's take it to another level. I'll say this, for the money, nothing will compete with the Studio's IMO.

Best of luck with the NX STUDIO build!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2022, 11:06 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2022, 04:41 am »
I have watched some of Peter's videos.  The threaded inserts are of much interest.  I hate the idea of screwing the drivers into MDF with just wood screws.  I like to take stuff apart multiple times if I want to without consequence.  It seems too much like the way my beautiful old ADS 710s and ADS 1290s were built.  I am definitely doing the inserts.
FWIW - I found a method that works for me years ago as a lurker only on the defunct P.I. audio group board.

Drill and tap the material: MDF, Baltic birch ply, whatever, with the appropriate machine screw equivalent.  #6 wood screw = 6-32 machine screw.  Put a piece of tape on the bottom of the hole.  Fill the hole with thin CA glue and let it sit for a minute.  Wick the excess glue out of the hole with
A pipe cleaner.  Let the CA cure completely and chase the thread with the same tap.  For extremely porous material repeat the process.  I've used this method for years without a failure.  For whatever reason, screws don't loosen up using this method.  Clean, easy and is not prone to the panel mounding around the insert.

'T' nuts suck toads...