Any recommendations for LP cleaning services?

2gumby2

Any recommendations for LP cleaning services?
« on: 24 Oct 2018, 10:45 pm »
I buy LPs occasionally and do not want to invest in record cleaning equipment so I'm willing to pay someone else to do professional cleaning and I'm seeking recommendations. I found services called Record Genie, Perfect Vinyl Forever, The Vinyl Revivers, and Clean Grooves. If you have experience with these services or you have other suggestions, I'd be interested in your recommendations.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Any recommendations for LP cleaning services?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2018, 02:40 am »
Where are you, and is there an audiophile group nearby?  I clean records for a few of my friends. Perhaps someone nearby might do the same for limited numbers.  Are you talking about 5 or 6, 50, or 500?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2018, 02:48 am »
I don’t have any experience with those services, nor any other place where they’d need to be shipped to. However, wouldn’t it get expensive shipping back and forth constantly? I guess it all depends on how many albums and how often.

If you have a local vinyl shop, ask them about cleaning. A place near me used to charge a dollar or two to clean records with their Nitty Gritty vacuum cleaning machine. That was about 15 years ago, so their prices may have gone up.

If you’ve got a decent amount of records and it’s the cost of the equipment, there are plenty of inexpensive cleaning machines/stuff out there. The VPI and Nitty Gritty machines are quite expensive IMO. I bought a KAB USA Evo-1 about 10 years ago. It’s a Nitty Gritty, only it doesn’t have an onboard vacuum. You attach your own. I just looked it up and it’s currently $169. I don’t remember paying anywhere near that, but maybe my memory’s off. Even at that price, it’s way cheaper than the Nitty Gritty. The Evo-1 works great. And it doesn’t ruin your vacuum. At $169, it’s definitely been worth it for me from purely a cost vs alternatives perspective, and I don’t spin that much vinyl.

There’s also the spin-clean if that’s still around for cheaper.

I know the $169 Evo-1 isn’t cheap, but if you’ve got a decent sized record collection, it’ll probably pay for itself after a while if you’re shipping records back and forth.

Just a thought. If I made the wrong assumptions, I apologize.

2gumby2

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2018, 04:45 am »
Where are you, and is there an audiophile group nearby?  I clean records for a few of my friends. Perhaps someone nearby might do the same for limited numbers.  Are you talking about 5 or 6, 50, or 500?
I live in southwest Wyoming and I don't know any other audiophiles in my area. Salt Lake City is the closest large city, but that is about 3 hours drive from where I live. I have about 250 LPs to clean and I have a few more I'll be ordering leading up to Christmas.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2018, 04:52 am »
I buy LPs occasionally and do not want to invest in record cleaning equipment so I'm willing to pay someone else to do professional cleaning and I'm seeking recommendations. I found services called Record Genie, Perfect Vinyl Forever, The Vinyl Revivers, and Clean Grooves. If you have experience with these services or you have other suggestions, I'd be interested in your recommendations.

Send a message to wayner. He'll tell you how you can clean LP's
                 Take my word for it his method WORKS!!!

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2018, 04:52 am »
I don’t have any experience with those services, nor any other place where they’d need to be shipped to. However, wouldn’t it get expensive shipping back and forth constantly? I guess it all depends on how many albums and how often.

If you have a local vinyl shop, ask them about cleaning. A place near me used to charge a dollar or two to clean records with their Nitty Gritty vacuum cleaning machine. That was about 15 years ago, so their prices may have gone up.

If you’ve got a decent amount of records and it’s the cost of the equipment, there are plenty of inexpensive cleaning machines/stuff out there. The VPI and Nitty Gritty machines are quite expensive IMO. I bought a KAB USA Evo-1 about 10 years ago. It’s a Nitty Gritty, only it doesn’t have an onboard vacuum. You attach your own. I just looked it up and it’s currently $169. I don’t remember paying anywhere near that, but maybe my memory’s off. Even at that price, it’s way cheaper than the Nitty Gritty. The Evo-1 works great. And it doesn’t ruin your vacuum. At $169, it’s definitely been worth it for me from purely a cost vs alternatives perspective, and I don’t spin that much vinyl.

There’s also the spin-clean if that’s still around for cheaper.

I know the $169 Evo-1 isn’t cheap, but if you’ve got a decent sized record collection, it’ll probably pay for itself after a while if you’re shipping records back and forth.

Just a thought. If I made the wrong assumptions, I apologize.
I attended RMAF this year and saw the Kirmuss ultrasonic cleaning machine which seemed interesting, but it is $850. Most of the cleaners I mentioned have high end cleaning machines which I expect would do an excellent job. Perhaps better than the average vacuum cleaning machine.
Shipping cost using Media Mail is not too bad.

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2018, 05:08 am »
I live in southwest Wyoming and I don't know any other audiophiles in my area. Salt Lake City is the closest large city, but that is about 3 hours drive from where I live. I have about 250 LPs to clean and I have a few more I'll be ordering leading up to Christmas.
You're in a bit of a bind.  It'll probably cost you $400-500 to get them cleaned, but more to get a commercial ultrasonic cleaner.  If you are the least bit handy, you can build an U.S. cleaner from units sourced on Ebay- I know because lots of us have done it.   Check out the DIY ultrasonic thread here.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127810.220
A step down would be the vacuum units.  The little Nitty Gritty knockoff mentioned earlier is a good cleaner at a reasonable pric- and several guys have built DIY versions ultra cheap.  I think the referred to Wayner diy unit uses a small shop vac. 

decal

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2018, 02:42 pm »
Albums need to be cleaned more than once. Invest in a manual cleaner like SpinClean if you want an inexpensive option.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2018, 04:48 pm »
Albums need to be cleaned more than once. Invest in a manual cleaner like SpinClean if you want an inexpensive option.

Couldn't agree more. Having your records cleaned by some sort of record cleaning service "might" make sense if the facility was about a block away from your house. Other than that, you'll have more invested in shipping than an entry level vacuum machine would cost.  That's not to mention the overall hassle of shipping plus the chances of the records getting damaged.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2018, 10:03 pm »

Absolutely. They need to be cleaned regularly. No matter how clean they were and how well they were sealed up, they’ll still need a cleaning every so often.

I use the KAB Evo-1 and a steam cleaner. I get excellent results. I’ve bought some horrendously dirty albums. I found some of my father’s albums he was hiding in the basement because he got sick of my mother complaining about them taking up space (like she didn’t have any crap that wasn’t being used :) ). Those albums were moldy and covered in a layer of crud. The steam cleaner flowed by the KAB took great care of them. The looked and sounded practically new, except for some of the labels.

I’ll run the KAB every 2-3 times I play an album. If I haven’t listened to it in a while and I’m motivated, I’ll clean it with the KAB regardless.

For really nasty records, I’m not sure how meticulous a company is going to be. Are they going to be as OCD about it as I am, or are they going to run it through the machine once or twice and say “that’s good enough?” I’d rather do it myself with inferior equipment.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2018, 12:05 am »
The Kab (Nitty Gritty) is a very effective unit at a reasonable price.  I'd be surprised if the Spin Clean is as good, but better than just soap and a brush.  Some are fans of using various glues.  However, nothing beats ultrasonic. 
It appears that we don't have a commercial operation to recommend.  Most of us with a collection of vinyl have some type of cleaning system.
Best of luck.  Hope you find a good solution. 

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2018, 02:36 am »
Absolutely. They need to be cleaned regularly. No matter how clean they were and how well they were sealed up, they’ll still need a cleaning every so often.

I use the KAB Evo-1 and a steam cleaner. I get excellent results. I’ve bought some horrendously dirty albums. I found some of my father’s albums he was hiding in the basement because he got sick of my mother complaining about them taking up space (like she didn’t have any crap that wasn’t being used :) ). Those albums were moldy and covered in a layer of crud. The steam cleaner flowed by the KAB took great care of them. The looked and sounded practically new, except for some of the labels.

I’ll run the KAB every 2-3 times I play an album. If I haven’t listened to it in a while and I’m motivated, I’ll clean it with the KAB regardless.

For really nasty records, I’m not sure how meticulous a company is going to be. Are they going to be as OCD about it as I am, or are they going to run it through the machine once or twice and say “that’s good enough?” I’d rather do it myself with inferior equipment.
What steam cleaner do you use? The Spin Clean and the KAB both have good reviews. Not sure if one is better than the other.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2018, 12:01 pm »
OP: I have used Greg over at Cleveland Vinyl to clean records for me. He charges $5 a record and uses a very comprehensive cleaning regiment.

http://www.clevelandvinyl.com/cleaning-process.html

Todd

Luxmancl38

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2018, 01:20 pm »
I've used the Record Genie for a number of years. He usually stops by Audio Video Therapy Nashua NH once a month to clean records and has a mailing service. Price is $5 for a single cleaning. You also get a new record sleeve w/your LP's. Excellent service.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2018, 02:10 pm »
What steam cleaner do you use? The Spin Clean and the KAB both have good reviews. Not sure if one is better than the other.
I have a Scunci handheld steam cleaner. I think I paid about $30 or so for it quite a few years back. Nothing special, and I didn’t buy it for the purpose of cleaning vinyl. I saw some people online using similar ones, so I figured I already had one and gave it a try. Works great. I have an old and cheap Technics turntable with a rubber mat that I use for cleaning only. I put the record on the TT and let it spin while I blast it with steam, carbon fiber brush it, vacuum it on the KAB, then use MoFi cleaner on the Technics deck, carbon fiber brush it, then vacuum again. I only go that far with it if it’s a really dirty record or if I just bought it used. If it’s new or has already been through that, I skip the steam part. The MoFi liquid and KAB do very good without the steamer.

I’ve never used the Spin Clean, so I can’t comment on it. I bought the KAB before the Spin Clean was a thing. I’d imagine vacuuming would be better, but that’s just hypothesizing on my part.

Link to the steamer:
https://www.amazon.com/Scunci-SS1000-Steam-Cleaner-Attachments/dp/B00024JYAG

2gumby2

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2018, 09:32 pm »
I spoke with Dave (Record Genie) for about 30 minutes today. He was very patient and informative in answering all of my questions. After considering the purchase of a nice quality cleaning machine, purchasing the cleaning fluids, doing the labor, and then finding a place to store my cleaning equipment in an already full house, I've decided to contract with Record Genie. He provides the specialized shipping container at no cost and Media Mail is not very expensive.

Luxmancl38

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2018, 09:40 pm »
Dave is a good guy. He has quite a few customers in the New England area. He's very meticulous in his cleaning process. He does a great job especially on older LP's. :thumb:

2gumby2

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2018, 09:47 pm »
I've used the Record Genie for a number of years. He usually stops by Audio Video Therapy Nashua NH once a month to clean records and has a mailing service. Price is $5 for a single cleaning. You also get a new record sleeve w/your LP's. Excellent service.
Actually, Dave told me the $5 is for a double cleaning and he provides discounts depending on the number of records cleaned.