Tube pre with Bryston amps

Levi

Re: Tube pre with Bryston amps
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:41 pm »
Yes. It is not fair to compare a BP26 to a BAT VK51SE. 1)Different price point BAT VK51SE retails $10K new, 2)BAT has fully balanced topology and has dual mono configuration, 3)6H30x8 super tubes etc.

I am favoring heavily on the tube preamplifier sound, resolution and transparency. It is the best of both Worlds.

For anyone using a tube pre with Bryston power, did you compare it to a Bryston pre? If so, any comments? Thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:48 pm »
For anyone using a tube pre with Bryston power, did you compare it to a Bryston pre? If so, any comments? Thanks.

At one point right before the Modwright LS36.5DM preamp, I had a Bryston SP1.7 in the system (the equivalent of a BP-25) for a long period.  The Modwright is smoother and more transparent

headshrinker2

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:22 pm »
I'm especially interested in this question.  What exactly does a tube preamp bring to the party, as compared to one of the more recent Bryston pre's?  Is it more than just a warmer sound?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2011, 08:08 pm »
Before you run out and get a tube preamp, make sure the impedances match with the Bryston amp(s). If they don't, you will have disasterous results. Also, make sure the tube preamp is capable of driving the Bryston amp(s). If not, you'll have a gain problem for one thing.

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2011, 08:12 pm »
I'm especially interested in this question.  What exactly does a tube preamp bring to the party, as compared to one of the more recent Bryston pre's?  Is it more than just a warmer sound?

In my case I would not say that as my preamp does not sound like stereotypical (how's that for a play on word 8)) tube preamps.  I've heard people complain it is solid state sounding.  I'd say mine is like the BP26 but on steroids.  I heard the BP26 vs. my SP1.7 and felt it was smoother and more refined and what I have now is more so.  There was not a night and day difference between the SP1.7 and BP26 to me but one can notice it.  What I have now is just more refined and smoother.  I don't know that I would term what I have now as warmer.  Perhaps more fluid and musical.

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2011, 08:13 pm »
Before you run out and get a tube preamp, make sure the impedances match with the Bryston amp(s). If they don't, you will have disasterous results. Also, make sure the tube preamp is capable of driving the Bryston amp(s). If not, you'll have a gain problem for one thing.

Yes - excellent point.

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jul 2011, 08:38 pm »
Yes - excellent point.

Thank you.

Viajero5000

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jul 2011, 08:55 pm »

A lot depends on the specific pre-amp, but a good tube pre-amp adds a sense of three dimensionality and flow, and a more 'fleshed out' presentation compared to ss.  With my Bryston based system though, I always end up preferring the BP26 overall to other pre-amps. The BP26 is decidedly 'solid statey' in that it sounds thinner, flatter and edgier than my tube pre, but it is very clean, linear and controlled, and has natural synergy with my system, the latter being a key consideration.  If someone wants to properly appreciate the strengths of tube equipment, it is probably advisable to get tube pre and power amps and a set of compatible higher efficiency speakers.  Mix/match experiments haven't worked particularly well for me.  YMMV.

Eric

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:03 pm »
I used a SAS 10A preamp with a Bryston 4BSST fora few years. It was a very good combo

vegasdave

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm »
A lot depends on the specific pre-amp, but a good tube pre-amp adds a sense of three dimensionality and flow, and a more 'fleshed out' presentation compared to ss.  With my Bryston based system though, I always end up preferring the BP26 overall to other pre-amps. The BP26 is decidedly 'solid statey' in that it sounds thinner, flatter and edgier than my tube pre, but it is very clean, linear and controlled, and has natural synergy with my system, the latter being a key consideration.  If someone wants to properly appreciate the strengths of tube equipment, it is probably advisable to get tube pre and power amps and a set of compatible higher efficiency speakers.  Mix/match experiments haven't worked particularly well for me.  YMMV.

In my experience, the Bryston preamps need quite a bit of break in time. They're best left on all the time, imo. When you do that, you get the "fullness" or "richness" you're looking for from a tube preamp.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm »
In my experience, the Bryston preamps need quite a bit of break in time. They're best left on all the time, imo. When you do that, you get the "fullness" or "richness" you're looking for from a tube preamp.

I have heard a few tube preamps other than the one I actually own ( including that Modwright Phil mentioned which is a really nice-sounding unit ) and I have heard the BP26 ( which is a fine piece as well ) and I really don't think the BP26 would give the "fullness" or "richness" of a tube preamp... :scratch:
 Apples just don't taste like oranges.

D.D.

veloceleste

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm »
I used an Audio Electronic Supply AES-3 preamp into the amp section of my B60.  Comparing the AES-3 with the B60 preamp section, the AES-3 sounded a little fuller in the bass, fleshed out the midrange and sounded a little sweeter in the treble.  The soundstage also seemed larger.  This probably sounds like a typical description of classic tube preamp sound.  I'm now using an updated CJ PV5 into a Hafler 9500 with much of the same results.

vegasdave

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm »
I have heard a few tube preamps other than the one I actually own ( including that Modwright Phil mentioned which is a really nice-sounding unit ) and I have heard the BP26 ( which is a fine piece as well ) and I really don't think the BP26 would give the "fullness" or "richness" of a tube preamp... :scratch:
 Apples just don't taste like oranges.

D.D.

Well, "fullness" and "richness" are not what Bryston is about. "Fullness" and "richness" are colorations if you wanna get right down to it. Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. We agree to disagree.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm »
Well, "fullness" and "richness" are not what Bryston is about. "Fullness" and "richness" are colorations if you wanna get right down to it. Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. We agree to disagree.

And the world will continue to turn... :thumb:

D.D.

vegasdave

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm »
And the world will continue to turn... :thumb:

D.D.

Exactly!  :icon_lol:

rmurray

« Reply #35 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:31 am »
 Yes Dave ,I think likewise. :weights:

vegasdave

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:33 am »
Thanks! :D

PRELUDE

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jul 2011, 11:41 am »
As far I realized,The best pre(does not matter that who made it)should never change the sound of the power amp or I rather to use a passive one.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #38 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:01 am »
.......and therefore the reason for total neutrality .......... :rock:

SoundGame

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm »
Both Bryston pre-amps and amps aim to be as transparent to source as possible given their design/component cost contraints.  What you have is a window to the source component and source recording / file. 

Hence, Bryston will sound warm and full when the recording and/or source component is such and/or where the ic add such coloration or even on the other side - where the speakers add such colouration.

What I love about Bryston is that you can get a preamp and amp in place and know that the objective is being true to source.