BP17 Repair

Wwong

BP17 Repair
« on: 5 Dec 2023, 09:23 am »
Hi,

I have a BP17 that has been sent for repair to the local authorize dealer. The problems that the unit exhibited was a loud hum from the second set of RCA inputs, hissing from the speaker tweeter when no input is connected to the preamp and the original spec fuse would blow with the unit not being able to power on at all. Dealer called today and inform repair has been done, they have added in an additional ground to the second input and replace the fuse, but there is a repair charge. I was under the impression that they would not be making modification in my opinion i.e.,  adding an additional ground and there was a repair charge for the unit which I thought was under warranty, for both parts and labor. Would appreciate if someone can enlightened me as I bought the unit from someone with the box and receipt together.

Thanks.

jcn3

Re: BP17 Repair
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2023, 07:15 pm »
Hi,

I have a BP17 that has been sent for repair to the local authorize dealer. The problems that the unit exhibited was a loud hum from the second set of RCA inputs, hissing from the speaker tweeter when no input is connected to the preamp and the original spec fuse would blow with the unit not being able to power on at all. Dealer called today and inform repair has been done, they have added in an additional ground to the second input and replace the fuse, but there is a repair charge. I was under the impression that they would not be making modification in my opinion i.e.,  adding an additional ground and there was a repair charge for the unit which I thought was under warranty, for both parts and labor. Would appreciate if someone can enlightened me as I bought the unit from someone with the box and receipt together.

Thanks.

did you reference bryston's warranty -- it should answer your question:  https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2023, 07:26 pm »
I checked with the factory and we do not have that repair on record?

james

Wwong

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2023, 01:18 am »
Hi JCN3, thanks for the heads up, I have take a screen shot and shared to the dealer pending for them to clarify.

Hi James, I have created a query in the axiom/bryston helpdesk ID: 0053792 to enquire about this repair, and also raise a request for RA number 27000000377, but still I am quite puzzled as to why the dealer did not log this issue with Bryston. The serial number is BP17-000012. Considering the two red flags/issues:

a) having to add additional ground wire for the second set RCA to work without humming
b) the original specified fuse of 240v 0.16A is not able to power up the pre amp. The previous owner informed that dealer replaced it with a higher rating fuse just so the amp would turn on.

From your perspective, based on the two issues above, do you think that something does not sound right with the set? I have asked this to the dealer but he didn't really answer clearly as to why the set is behaving this way especially for issue b). It's not giving much confidence either that the set has been properly looked into. Is there any other avenue that I can consider for the set to be looked into and potentially repair if there is a fault with it? All the original documents are available including the purchase receipt.

Thanks,
Wong.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2023, 11:54 am »
Where are you located - in Malaysia?

james

Wwong

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2023, 07:54 am »
Hi James, yes I am located in Malaysia. I had a reply from Adam suggesting me to collect the set and test it out first. Will do that and if any problem persists, I will reach out to Mike as Adam shared his email to me. Thanks for your feedback.