4B3 v 2.5B3 Sonic Characteristics

AllanS

4B3 v 2.5B3 Sonic Characteristics
« on: 26 Oct 2023, 10:20 am »
Does anyone know if the 2.5B3 and 4B3 have the same sonic characteristics?  Assume level matched in the 2.5B3 sweet spot.

I don’t know that they can be separated, but I’m less interested in power related dynamics.  My question is specific to imaging and sound stage presentation; width, depth, height, separation.

Thanks much

R. Daneel

Re: 4B3 v 2.5B3 Sonic Characteristics
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2023, 09:03 pm »
Does anyone know if the 2.5B3 and 4B3 have the same sonic characteristics?  Assume level matched in the 2.5B3 sweet spot.

I don’t know that they can be separated, but I’m less interested in power related dynamics.  My question is specific to imaging and sound stage presentation; width, depth, height, separation.

Thanks much

Hi!

I cannot tell you anything about either amplifier but generally - and this is true for all amplifiers, not just Brsston - if a smaller amplifier can provide ample current, there is no point in getting a bigger amplifier.

In other words, this is HIGHLY dependent on the choice of speakers. Getting a bigger amplifier isn't always a good idea as typically, high-power class A/B amplifiers tend to be noisier at lower volumes than low-power amplifiers at moderate volumes. They also consume more electricity!

There's something 'magical' (for a lack of a better word) about high-power amplifiers and the ease with which they deliver the musical energy but the same can be said about low-powered amplifiers when well-paired with speakers.

The hassle is, it will be difficult to tell just by reading the speakers' specs since sensitivity and impedance hardly tell the whole story, not to mention the fact that the manufacturers sometimes blatanty - lie! Don't trust the reviewers either, their job is to sell, not to inform.

Try to arrange for a demo with the speakers you are going to use. This is always the best thing to do and is the best guarantee you are getting the product that best suits your needs. Everything else is academic at best - and if you watch YT reviews, it isn't even academic but rather based on innuendo.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Antun

SHXMD

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2023, 01:42 pm »
Caveats noted but I am interested as well.

It is very difficult to borrow amplifiers to audition in one’s home these days.

Need to know how much money to save up to make a wise choice.

gbaby

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2023, 03:55 pm »
R. Daniels gave you the correct answer. One would need to know the sensitivity rating of your speakers to even begin to advise you. I will say that all Bryston cube and square amps have the same sonic traits, but which one is better is dependent on your speakers and how loud you play your music as well as the size of the room.