Veneering NX Series Speakers with Waveguides

subsonic1050

Veneering NX Series Speakers with Waveguides
« on: 8 May 2021, 12:39 am »
Got another question for the group! I just ordered 2 sets of NX-Tremes (one for myself and one for a friend). I'm looking at veneers and it occurred to me that the waveguide is going to present some issues not normally encountered with a flat face. What are people doing for the waveguide when veneering one of these speakers? I'd imagine most people are painting that section, but how are they going about painting it - painting first, then applying veneer and trying to cut that section out? I imagine it's difficult to perfectly remove the veneer from that section and some sanding will be needed - so then touching up the paint?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Veneering NX Series Speakers with Waveguides
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2021, 12:49 am »
I think most people are probably painting the front baffle and veneering the wings.

Otherwise, you can always veneer over the whole baffle then cut & sand it flush at the corners around the waveguide.

After that it will probably be easier to mask off the veneer around the waveguide and paint that part separately and just gently sand it for a clean transition.

subsonic1050

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2021, 12:53 am »
Thanks Hobbsmeerkat, that is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I'm looking to do full veneer on them. I was thinking of machining a template on the CNC to mask off the waveguide to make sure the rounded corners are perfect, but wanted to see what other people had done.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2021, 04:49 am »
Hi Subsonic.  I had some luck veneering the waveguides, still look great today.  I had a build thread that explained what I did, here it is:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146187.msg1579868#msg1579868

Good luck!

Best,
Ed

subsonic1050

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2021, 04:21 pm »
Wow Ebag - I had briefly considered veneering the waveguide itself but almost immediately discounted it. That's excellent work!

BGA

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2021, 05:05 pm »
I just finished verneering mine this weekend, I painted the waveguides then veneered, I didn't want the black paint to leach into the veneer. It took some time and patience to sand the veneer flush but the end result is really nice. Any questions let me know I'll help out if I can. (Sorry the pic is a little dark, they are sitting in my listening room longing for drivers, lol)

Al

subsonic1050

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2021, 06:46 pm »
I just finished verneering mine this weekend, I painted the waveguides then veneered, I didn't want the black paint to leach into the veneer. It took some time and patience to sand the veneer flush but the end result is really nice. Any questions let me know I'll help out if I can. (Sorry the pic is a little dark, they are sitting in my listening room longing for drivers, lol)

Al

Those Otica's look beautiful BGA! I will likely do the same. I'll definitely report back when mine are done. I haven't receive my flat packs yet, so it will be a bit!

paolocaminiti

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2021, 08:06 pm »
As I'm planning to build the NX MTM in the near future but I got no wood working skills:

I'm gonna use duratex over the flat packs, is it important for the waveguide to be smooth - as in no duratex there - or is it ok to paint duratex all over?

Uncle Elvis

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2021, 08:39 pm »
Nice work :thumb:

Answer2No1

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2021, 04:54 am »
@BGA  Beautiful job!  I'm drooling!

BGA

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2021, 07:45 pm »
Thanks Guys, Excited to fill the holes with some drivers! Having them done and looking at them is agony, lol.