XCS as L&R stereo spkrs

Ozrikconan

• Hi fi lo bux
XCS as L&R stereo spkrs
« on: 14 May 2021, 05:35 pm »
I’ve built one XCS so far and it sounds great.  Planning to build a 2nd using the flatpack option. 
Question… XLS is ported, XCS is not.  Anything to be gained by looking into adding a port to the XCS?

I’m guessing no port works better on a center channel, but for L&R stereo pair on stands, pulled out from the wall…maybe they help?

2nd topic:  grills.  Can GRResearch come out with magnetic grill kits for their spkrs?  Needed for appearance and to protect against kids, cats, bumps, handling….   I would buy this.

Thx

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: XCS as L&R stereo spkrs
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2021, 06:26 pm »
I’ve built one XCS so far and it sounds great.  Planning to build a 2nd using the flatpack option. 
Question… XLS is ported, XCS is not.  Anything to be gained by looking into adding a port to the XCS?

I’m guessing no port works better on a center channel, but for L&R stereo pair on stands, pulled out from the wall…maybe they help?

2nd topic:  grills.  Can GRResearch come out with magnetic grill kits for their spkrs?  Needed for appearance and to protect against kids, cats, bumps, handling….   I would buy this.

Thx

You can't just add a port to the X-CS. With a ported box, the cabinet needs to be much larger than a sealed box. The ported design of the X-CS Encore is the floor standing X-MTM Encore. Same kit as the X-CS just in a larger ported cabinet. If you do not want a sub, this is the speaker to go with. The X-MTM version does not take up any more floor space then an X-CS on a stand so if you want low end extension, way more than the X-LS delivers, and better midrange performance, go with the X-MTM.

Overall, between X-CS and X-LS as mains, I prefer the sound of 2 X-CS Encores. The CS has more body, fullness, weight, and clarity in the midrange compared to the X-CS. What the CS gives up to the LS is bass extension. While the X-LS Encore can get away without a sub, both speakers benefit greatly from a sealed servo sub. With the X-CS you will want a sub. With the X-LS, after you hear it with a sub you won't want it without the sub. Since both benefit from a sub, go with a pair of X-CS mains and sub.

Or have your cake and eat it too with a pair of X-MTMs as mains crossed over to a sealed servo sub at 40Hz. This is the type of set-up I have in my living room.

Mike

Ozrikconan

• Hi fi lo bux
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2021, 08:32 pm »
Thx mike. I have sub, a folded horn sub from bill fitzmaurice designs.  So 2 unported XCSs it is. 

Ozrikconan

• Hi fi lo bux
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2021, 12:50 pm »
What about grills?  If GR research isn’t interested in offering them,  what do forum folks do for grills?

I have seen the grill kits at parts express, but no experience with them. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2021, 01:01 pm »
What about grills?  If GR research isn’t interested in offering them,  what do forum folks do for grills?

I have seen the grill kits at parts express, but no experience with them.

I make my own and use magnets in the baffle and grill frame to hold them on

Ozrikconan

• Hi fi lo bux
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2021, 12:05 am »
Wood frame?  I am toying with the idea of a wire frame with fabric stretched over it, but not sure i can make it look good.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2021, 01:40 am »
Wood frame?  I am toying with the idea of a wire frame with fabric stretched over it, but not sure i can make it look good.

I usually use 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood