LS50 wireless II + sub -- vs -- LS50 meta + which nuprime?

envydd

Current system = LS50 + AVA + Martin Logan sub (super happy for the last few years). It has worked well because my white LS50s blend in with the white furniture and the nuprime is in a cabinet.

For another room (15x15), I want to get another system and want to keep it simple without a huge compromise in sound quality. My no brainer option is LS50WII + a sub (all white). The only thing that bugs me about the wireless version is the amps failing rendering the whole system useless. I am visiting the forums after a long time and I am sure lots of things have changed in the hifi world. I listen to a lot of music via chromecast audio via optical (yes, its true :))

Question: what amp will beat the onboard amps/DSP of the LS50WII for about 1K USD (delta between active/passive). I am ok spending a bit more too since I dont buy these things very often? Is the Omnia a good solution?

John Casler

Re: LS50 wireless II + sub -- vs -- LS50 meta + which nuprime?
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2021, 12:10 am »
Current system = LS50 + AVA + Martin Logan sub (super happy for the last few years). It has worked well because my white LS50s blend in with the white furniture and the nuprime is in a cabinet.

For another room (15x15), I want to get another system and want to keep it simple without a huge compromise in sound quality. My no brainer option is LS50WII + a sub (all white). The only thing that bugs me about the wireless version is the amps failing rendering the whole system useless. I am visiting the forums after a long time and I am sure lots of things have changed in the hifi world. I listen to a lot of music via chromecast audio via optical (yes, its true :))

Question: what amp will beat the onboard amps/DSP of the LS50WII for about 1K USD (delta between active/passive). I am ok spending a bit more too since I dont buy these things very often? Is the Omnia a good solution?

Your AVA amps are VERY good, so it would take something like the AMG STA to make a clear and distinct noticeable performance difference.  Many have referred to the AMG STA ($1695) as the EVOLUTION One's little brother. 

At 2 X 130W @ 8 Ohm & 2 X 200W @ 4 Ohm you will also be an upgrade to the "powered" LS50 Meta.

I have even been amazed at hooking up a pair of the LS-50 Meta with the MCX-2 (550wpc) at $1750 retail.

And finally you ask about, the OMNIA A300 ($1495).  I have not heard that amp section with the LS-50 Meta as the latest production run should be shipping sometime this month, but the Total Package "on paper" would appear to be ideal.

Of course much has to do with your room, if it is treated at all, the height of your listening position and stands, and if you listen nearfield or further back.

envydd

Re: LS50 wireless II + sub -- vs -- LS50 meta + which nuprime?
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2021, 12:36 am »
Thx John. I bought the AVA from you btw. Will look into the furniture and config. I am planning to get the KEF stands. I guess I need AMG STA + a DAC + LS50M ...