Volume setting seems to have changed on LDR300X.V3

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Volume setting seems to have changed on LDR300X.V3
« on: 26 Mar 2021, 02:58 pm »
Somehow the volume settings seem to have changed on my LDR300X.V3 passive.  Now almost all the volume range is between 80 and 100.  I am pretty sure that last week I was playing things at the 60 setting that now need a setting in the mid-80s to have the same volume level from my speakers.  I did a re-calibration, to no effect.  I am pretty sure there is some way to fix this, so teach me.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Volume setting seems to have changed on LDR300X.V3
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2021, 05:57 pm »
Somehow the volume settings seem to have changed on my LDR300X.V3 passive.  Now almost all the volume range is between 80 and 100.  I am pretty sure that last week I was playing things at the 60 setting that now need a setting in the mid-80s to have the same volume level from my speakers.  I did a re-calibration, to no effect.  I am pretty sure there is some way to fix this, so teach me.

Have not observed this behavior before or heard of it happening elsewhere so I don't have a canned explanation or fix to recommend. Since your unit still has that occasional reset issue I'm going to send you a new V3 Max Rev B board when they're available in another week or so. Fairly simple to swap out the existing board in the 300x. I'll provide instructions along with the board.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2021, 07:58 pm »
Sweet - thanks.  I am going to test the rest of my gear to make sure as to the reason for the change in volume.  Right now setting it at 60 results in almost no sound output.  If it is some other piece of gear that is the problem, I'll apologize here.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2021, 11:52 pm »
Mea culpa - it seems that when using an optical rendu the volume control in JRiver works. With earlier Rendus I was able to disable this master control so I never even considered that the master volume control was working.  I had the master volume turned down enough to make a setting of 60 on the Tortuga almost inaudible. 

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2021, 01:29 pm »
Mea culpa - it seems that when using an optical rendu the volume control in JRiver works. With earlier Rendus I was able to disable this master control so I never even considered that the master volume control was working.  I had the master volume turned down enough to make a setting of 60 on the Tortuga almost inaudible.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. It wasn't anything we'd ever seen happen before and were having a hard time coming up with an explanation on our end.