Don vs Dennis? Looking at preamps

VinceT

Don vs Dennis? Looking at preamps
« on: 18 Mar 2021, 12:34 am »
I would like to get some feedback on direct comparisons of Don Sachs vs Dennis Had pre amps. Listen to mostly vinyl, phono stage not mandatory but would be very nice. A couple of other brands that keep popping up in my searches are Supratek and Backert, tho I think the Rumba may be a little steep financially.. Trying to stay 1500ish as far a price in the used market. 2k would be my ceiling.

datman

Re: Don vs Dennis? Looking at preamps
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2021, 01:01 am »
I have them both. They are different flavors of the 6SN7. The Sachs pre has much greater functionality but I can't say one sounds significantly better than the other.

I have the latest Don Sachs preamp that I am selling. Not because I don't like it (I do), but I have been told by my wife it is time to get rid of my surplus equipment. You won't go wrong either way.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2021, 01:12 am »
I too have both the Supratek Chardonnay, latest version, and the latest Sachs.  Both sound great but like datman said slightly different presentation. Supratek has more functional flexibility in terms of inputs/outputs, gain adjustment and balance while the Sachs has more remote control capability.  You can buy the Supratek new for $2000 plus the shipping. The Sachs is fussier about the quality of the two input tubes.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2021, 02:03 pm »
Regarding the presentation

Ppl really like these products and say they are all great performers. I am good at asking those very subjective questions that are difficult to answer. Comparing these manufacturers which one has the better soundstage and imaging qualities. Again this is going to be preference and system/room dependent to some degree. I am on the upgrade path so flexibility is also important depending on what amification ultimately I decide to use or rotate in the system.