Rolling Hybrid Integrated Amps

Tonyeezy

• Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will.
Rolling Hybrid Integrated Amps
« on: 12 Mar 2021, 12:35 am »
Full disclosure, I am a noob in this world, but I have done some searching around this topic and there seems to be some mixed opinions on the matter. I own a hybrid integrated amp with a tube preamp section, I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience on rolling tubes in this configuration. Is it a rabbit hole worth jumping into? Not worth the effort? Minimal gains? Would love to hear some thoughts.

TomS

Re: Rolling Hybrid Integrated Amps
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2021, 12:50 am »
That completely depends on the individual design. The fact that it's a hybrid integrated doesn't really play into that. I have the Modwright KWH 225i Hybrid and it is quite responsive to tube rolling of the 6922's in the preamp section, definitely worth it in that case. I've had others where it didn't matter so much at all (e.g. LTA).

thorman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2021, 01:16 am »
 I think the smart thing is to let us all know what your trying to achieve with the tube change. Typically most Roll tubes to make an adjustment from Rich to Dry and Dry to Rich ( in tone ) or maybe one needs more " Air or Space ". It isn't difficult .You can buy 10 different tubes with all different manufacturers and they will all sound different. Some better some worse. All depends on your needs. Let us know what tube/s you are using and want to replace and which Sonic direction you need to go and you will get tons of advice ...

Tonyeezy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:07 am »
I am currently using the stock (JJ, I think) tubes that came in my McIntosh MA252. If there are some sound characteristics which I would want to go for, it is probably more depth, space, detail and warmth.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:21 am »
What tube type are they? My Modwright comes with stock JJ 6DJ8/6922/7308 variety. I have a set of NOS Amperex that are significantly better in most every way, easy to hear. I plan to try some National 7DJ8's which aren't terribly expensive, but have generally very good reviews. Then, at the other end, there is the Upscale Audio NOS Telefunken 6922 which has skyrocketed to $$$$ now. I'm sure they'd be nice, as I had a pair back when they were almost reasonable. Dan Wright recommended them, along with the Nationals. Rolling becomes quite the rabbit hole, and can be very expensive, depending on the chosen tube family. With all that said, yes, you can definitely improve on JJ's.

jjss49

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:50 am »
a hybrid amp will have the tube in the input/driver section feeding the solid state final drive section, so it should definitely respond to different tubes with different shades and tones...  tube rolling is fun... try it!

Tonyeezy

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:52 am »
What tube type are they? My Modwright comes with stock JJ 6DJ8/6922/7308 variety. I have a set of NOS Amperex that are significantly better in most every way, easy to hear. I plan to try some National 7DJ8's which aren't terribly expensive, but have generally very good reviews. Then, at the other end, there is the Upscale Audio NOS Telefunken 6922 which has skyrocketed to $$$$ now. I'm sure they'd be nice, as I had a pair back when they were almost reasonable. Dan Wright recommended them, along with the Nationals. Rolling becomes quite the rabbit hole, and can be very expensive, depending on the chosen tube family. With all that said, yes, you can definitely improve on JJ's.

What a huge oversight on my part lol, the amp has 12AT7 and 12AX7A type tubes in it. I'm glad to hear that there are some reasonably priced options.

jjss49

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2021, 03:23 pm »
12at7's are readily available still inexpensive

nice quiet old stock 12ax7's are getting up there these days

you might contact the maker of the unit, ask, based on the circuitry, which tube(s) should affect sound quality more

have fun!