Confused by the Rendu line

flavo

Confused by the Rendu line
« on: 11 May 2020, 01:19 pm »
In my search to up my streaming game I'm getting pretty confused, which is pretty easy for me when it comes to technical jargon with digital equipment.

My understanding of the micro/ultra Rendu is that it is a small computer for audio streaming that gets hooked up to your router to take my noisy PC out of the chain.

My first sighting of the Rendu line was when I was on the Small Green Computer website and they recommended putting a rendu in front of their product line up.
But my understanding of the "SGC" product line is that it is a small computer for audio streaming that gets hooked up to your router to take my noisy PC out of the chain
with the addition of HDD and ripper inside the SMG.

It sounds redundant to me.

What am I missing?
Thank you
Mike

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: Confused by the Rendu line
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2020, 04:47 am »
I can only comment on how my opticalRendu is set up.  I use a small PC (a NUC) running JRiver and connected to my router by ethernet cable to determine what I will listen to.  My music is on a hard drive attached to my router - it is set up as Network Attached Storage (NAS).  The optical Rendu gets music file to play from the router and then sends signal to DAC.  So PC controls it, ethernet signal to router causes correct music file from the hard drive to go to the rendu and then to the DAC.  Once set up it works flawlessly so far and sounds fantastic.