lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
The Dead Are Rising Again !!!
« on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:00 am »
New news on the Grateful Dead....... :thumb:

2bigears

Re: The Dead Are Rising Again !!!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:24 am »
 :D  Chris,how's the big city treating ya ?? the Dead will rise,they should tour with the Stones or Billy and Elton,that would be cool.... :lol:

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:29 am »
and JG is dancing in the streets (above).

Len

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:42 pm »
Warren Haynes on guitar could be interesting, not my first choice, but a damn good guitarist

rydenfan

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:03 am »
Warren Haynes on guitar could be interesting, not my first choice, but a damn good guitarist

Warren is not your first choice? There are few others that convey the emotion through both guitar and voice that Warren do. He is also a fanatical fan of Jerry's. IMO, an excellent choice for the tour.

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »

Warren is not your first choice? There are few others that convey the emotion through both guitar and voice that Warren do. He is also a fanatical fan of Jerry's. IMO, an excellent choice for the tour.

My fist choice would be David Hidalgo.  I didn't say Warren wasn't worthy of the gig, just not my first choice. 8)

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:22 pm »
Man I hope it is not Warren!  He's a wanker.  Maybe Jimmy Herring?

rydenfan

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:52 pm »
Hidalgo is another excellent choice. Thanks for not saying Kimock  :wink:

Jimmy Herring is fabulous (and has done wonders for WSP) but I feel like his style is better suited for Phil and Freinds or other groups that put a different spin and feel on GD tunes. Keep in mind that they are going out on the road as The Dead and not as The Other Ones; so, IMO they need to try and re-create their sound as much as possible. While this is not possible without Jerry, to me, Warren is the closest living alternative. Just my $.02

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2009, 08:07 pm »
Maybe but during the last Dead tour they had stupid Joan Osborne.  So who they think can fill Jerry's shoes is a bit...well strange?

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2009, 11:45 pm »
Here's the band lineup per Dead.net:

The Core Four of Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann, joined by guitar monster Warren Haynes and RatDog keyboard ace Jeff Chimenti.  Chris's post has the same info.

Tour Info

strider

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:02 pm »
I didn't care for the combination of Haynes' voice with The Dead when I saw them at Alpine Valley back in.......damn I can't remember. The first show they played without Jerry, IIRC.  His guitar's phenomenal and compliments the boys really well, but his voice just didn't do it for me, for whatever reason.

I do like him with Gov't Mule, though.

Far as Joan Osbourne, I didn't get to see her with the Dead, but I have heard her belt out some Dead tunes. She's got a set of pipes, killer voice. I'd never heard anything other then the "..One of Us" song, I was pleasantly surprised. She still doesn't replace Jerry, but then again, nobody ever will.

DeadFish

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:54 pm »
You gotta admit, any concerts are going to be 'less than' without Jerry.
I wasn't impressed with Joan Osborne with The Dead in St. Louis, but I imagine she shows talent somewhere.  Kinda struck me like Donna after the bloom is off the rose...
I haven't missed many post-jerry tours like Further and the Dead but I've always walked away withered and disappointed.
No doubt, if I get the chance for one more concert, I'll buy the ticket and take the ride.

Then again, if I get off the downer, it might be a good time!  aa :wink:

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:09 pm »
Ticket prices seem to be kinda high for the size venues they are playing.

I'll be seeing Phish for $50 instead.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:29 pm »
HIgh ticket prices in huge venues. No thanks.  I saw them at the Obama Rally in State College and it was a train wreck.

Maybe this will be good for kids who never got to  see the Grateful Dead, I doubt the magic will be there. On the other hand I certainly enjoy seeing Phil at the smaller venues.

and if anything good happens I can always download the recordings, I am sure they will be there.

:)