Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!
« Reply #160 on: 16 Feb 2013, 04:57 pm »
Have the Monoliths setup with the servo amps and running without the digital crossover to make more measurements.

I did not see the request for dimensions, so will take baffle size measurements today.   The baffles were made by jparkhur.

jparkhur

« Reply #161 on: 16 Feb 2013, 05:16 pm »
what are the measurements of the baffles?
thanks,
drmike
thanks,
drmike
thanks,
drmike

It's full of 8 inch drivers......

drmike

« Reply #162 on: 16 Feb 2013, 05:40 pm »
thanks HAL,
drmike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #163 on: 18 Feb 2013, 01:52 am »
A better picture of the Monolith speakers setup for measurements. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #164 on: 18 Feb 2013, 02:50 am »
A better picture of the Monolith speakers setup for measurements. 

Great project.  My PS220'sawait.

Dave

AKLegal

« Reply #165 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:28 pm »
Here is a picture of the new servo amp prototype from Rythmik.

Brian explains the difference between the prototype and production unit:
" the input jacks will be changed to one RCA plus one mini-XLR.  The reason for minXLR is due to space limitation."

The black finished wood cabinet is from jparkhur for the amp.

I wonder if he plans on making a PEQ version of this amp.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #166 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:34 pm »
Hal looking good mate. What are those thingies on top of your amps ?

charles

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #167 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:49 pm »
impressive setup

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #168 on: 24 Feb 2013, 05:08 pm »
Hal looking good mate. What are those thingies on top of your amps ?

charles

Charles,
The components behind the Monolith setup are my friend Bob's Parasound Halo system.  They are solid glass spheres.  He is an amateur magician and he likes those for decorations.  Looks very cool in his setup!

The original lava lamps are outside the camera range.  Retrovibe feeling in the room! :)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #169 on: 24 Feb 2013, 05:30 pm »
  Cool. Lava lamps, where's the bong ? I have mellowed as well now using Himalayan salt crystal lamps which actually affect sound stage and imaging. Similar to ion generators, oh my !

charles

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #170 on: 24 Feb 2013, 05:39 pm »
He has a large pipe and pipe tobacco collection to complete the look! :)

Nate Hansen

« Reply #171 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:26 pm »
Interesting process. I've got a question though.....There's talk of doing freq and phase impulse correction specific to the driver. The measurement posted a page back is an effectively un-gated in room measurement (if I'm reading the notes on the bottom of the graph), and AFAIK the speaker is on the floor. It's obvious there's a ton of room influence there, which would be baked into any eq done based on that curve. Will the finished units be based on better measurement conditions, as well as gated to "get rid" of the room influence?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #172 on: 26 Feb 2013, 07:02 pm »
Yes.  I am using another measurement suite that I built to make the time gated high resolution measurements needed for the impulse response correction. 

Nate Hansen

« Reply #173 on: 27 Feb 2013, 05:12 pm »
 :thumb:

Ric Schultz

« Reply #174 on: 27 Feb 2013, 10:00 pm »
So, how is the bass on this speaker?  Kick ass fast?  Powerful?  Deep?  In room frequency response curve?  Is it enough low bass that you are not wanting for a sub?  How loud will it play?  Are the 8s faster than the 12s?  What do you think of making the baffle a V (basically a spread U), so the back braces extend at an angle away from the front baffle....say 10 inches wide front baffle and wings maybe 18 deep inches that extend back at an angle?  The full range driver would not have the wing beside it......the wings would not go all the way up.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #175 on: 27 Feb 2013, 11:23 pm »
I feel no need for a sub at this point.  The three 8" servo's did nicely with both full scale orchestra and pipe organ in my initial listenings.   Still breaking in from what I heard from the beginning to the end of that day's trials. 

The CLIOwin setup was having issues, so going back over for more trials and measurements this weekend.  The measurements I posted earlier are just the 8" full range driver in the baffle without the servo's. 

With no crossover on the full range drivers they did pretty well at higher volume levels.  That is really pushing the driver as it was full range.  The servo's were running a LPF.  Still making amp adjustments.

No comment on other baffle designs.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #176 on: 28 Feb 2013, 12:22 am »
Here are the two HAL DAC's being used with the MS-2 Music Server for the digital crossover.  They are driven by the Master Clock setup with the M2Tech Evo's.  The DAC's are driven by the I2S Bus output of the Evo.   

I asked Gary Dodd to put them in his chassis with purpleheart faceplates to match the tube buffer I have.

Each stereo DAC has a different output stage optimized for the specific application. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #177 on: 1 Mar 2013, 02:48 pm »
Interesting process. I've got a question though.....There's talk of doing freq and phase impulse correction specific to the driver. The measurement posted a page back is an effectively un-gated in room measurement (if I'm reading the notes on the bottom of the graph), and AFAIK the speaker is on the floor. It's obvious there's a ton of room influence there, which would be baked into any eq done based on that curve. Will the finished units be based on better measurement conditions, as well as gated to "get rid" of the room influence?

I just checked and the measurements from CLIOwin are 2.6mSec gated time frequency response plots above.  It is the Dayton driver on the baffle on axis response being driven full range. 

The next measurements will be gated time as well with the new measurement setup.

Danny Richie

« Reply #178 on: 1 Mar 2013, 02:50 pm »
From a meter away I typically look at a 4ms window myself.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #179 on: 1 Mar 2013, 02:56 pm »
Will reset the CLIOwin time gate and see what I get.