Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!
« Reply #120 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:23 pm »

Jon, looks great!  Has the frequency response started to even out for you?  I noticed on mine that the 3K-4K peak started to mellow with time and actually came down about 1.5dB with just a long break in.

I have both generations of these drivers and the second definitely is smoother than the first.

Dave

jparkhur

« Reply #121 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:26 pm »
D-  yes they have..  I am waiting for HAL/R to send me the measurements on the driver out of the box OB.  I would like to see a real room response curve with his tools. 

I am liking them, but they will get better after the XO is done...

Jon P

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #122 on: 30 Nov 2012, 12:35 pm »
The final parts to build the dual USB DAC digital XO have arrived.  Will be working on finishing the pulse preamp splitter this weekend.  I have a MS-2 prototype Music Server up and running.  Will see if the software likes Windows 8.

Driver installation is ongoing.  Should get some time this weekend to do some far field measurements on the Dayton drivers.  They should be pretty much ready to go. 

I am going very slowly on the driver install.  My ususal install method usually has a hole in a driver by the time I am finished.  Did I mention I have 10 left thumbs when it comes to mechanical installations. 

jcotner

« Reply #123 on: 1 Dec 2012, 08:26 am »
Did I mention I have 10 left thumbs when it comes to mechanical installations.

:D Hey Hal...they have a class library for that!
That's an old tired software cliche guys.  8)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #124 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:26 am »
LOL!  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #125 on: 2 Dec 2012, 01:29 pm »
Finished the prototype of the dual clock driver circuit.  The clock driver circuit logic level output for both channels are correct driving 75 ohm loads.

Once I get the O'Scope warmed up will see how the 24MHz clock looks into the 75 ohm loads.  The Evo clock is here and will get that measured as well.  If that is all good, then we have a dual USB to I2S Bus driver for the digital crossover.   The first I2S Bus DAC is working.  The second I2S Bus DAC is being built for the setup.

More driver installation today.     

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #126 on: 3 Dec 2012, 02:56 am »
Here is the front end for the two DAC's to run the speakers.

M2Tech Evo Clock and two Evo's.  The Evo I2S Bus outputs will drive two separate DAC's.

Putting the clock splitter in a chassis with 75 Ohm BNC connectors to tie the system together.

Both Evo's will be driven from the MS-2 prototype Music Server. 

mojave

« Reply #127 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm »
Hal, did you also consider using a multichannel DAC? This would be simpler than using a clock splitter. The exaSound e18 is an 8 channel DAC designed for audiophiles. It will handle up to 384 kHz and DSD. The best thing is that you can use the additional channels for more subwoofers, if desired.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #128 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:48 pm »
That would be easier for implementation.

The DAC's I have been working on do not use the ESS DAC chip.  I do not like the way the ESS DAC's sound. 

Will let everyone hear this idea and decide for themselves.   

LarryB

« Reply #129 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:08 pm »
Way late to the game, but I'll add my two cents.

"Full range driver" is a misnomer, as no driver is truly full range.  For that reason, folks have started to refer to them as "wide-banders."

The advantage of wide-banders, as other have alluded to, is that like coaxial drivers, they approximate a point source.  They also tend to be punchy, with good transient response, and relatively easy to drive.  The down side (in addition to their not truly being full-range) is that they often have annoying peaks (e.g., the Lowther "shout"). 

Recognizing that there is only so much bass output one can wrestle from them, some manufactuers are now adding woofers below them; I refer to this arrrangement as "augmented wide bander."  One of the difficulties of this arrangement is finding a woofer that will "keep up" with the wide-bander; I daresay Danny's servo subs are an excellent choice.

As for the wide-banders themselves, not all are created equal.  Some are awful, some are superb (the Voxtive being the best I've heard by a long shot), and most fall somewhere in between those extremes. In my experience, many speakers (not just those based on wide-banders) suffer due to the choice of driver.  Certainly a good cross-over and well-designed cabinet (or lack thereof, i.e., open baffle) can optimize the performance, but one cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  I am very intrigued by Rich's approach to digitally correct certain characteristics of the Dayton, though I have no experience with this driver, nor with the correction.

I recently reviewed a very well designed "augmented widebander" which uses a Tangband on top, and six 10" woofers below in a diploe, slot-loaded configuration.   (http://www.dagogo.com/Print-Article.asp?hArticle=1115)    The dipole configuration necessitated a separate amp and Eq but IMO, this is actually a benefit, not a deficit.  Danny has taken this approach for some time now, and I am continually surprised at how few designers have caught on to the benefits.

I am delighted that Rich, Danny and their colleagues are building the Monolith, as the more such speakers there are on the market, the better for the consumers (i.e., us).  I especially applaud Rich for the novel elements of his design, and eagerly await the opportunity hear it.  Perhaps if I'm nice to him, he'll let me review it. :)

Regards,

Larry     

Danny Richie

« Reply #130 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:40 pm »
Larry,

The cool thing about this design, that Rich is working on, is that any wide band driver can be used. The customer can choose anything they want. The Dayton wide band driver was just chosen as an inexpensive test unit to prove the concept.

LarryB

« Reply #131 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:46 pm »
Danny:

Very impressive, except that you've left the choices to neurotic, "can't make up my mind" audiophiles. :)

But won't the cross-over points (and perhaps slopes), notch filters etc. have to be optimized for each driver?

Larry

jparkhur

« Reply #132 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:49 pm »
Once things progress, each speaker and pair will be measured individually and the electronics set to those drivers.  Yes.. very accurate and specific. 

Jon

LarryB

« Reply #133 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:05 pm »
Aha, so it's not just the impulse that is being customized (for want of a better word), but the x-over as well.  Not to rain on your parade, but as you undoubtedly know  - and as Danny can certainly attest to - measurements are a good starting point for x-overs but the final arbiter must be listening, which is a slow process.

My suggestion (not that you asked :)  ) is to identify the best driver (as defined by sound, price, etc.) and optimize the speaker accordingly.

Larry

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:12 pm »
Yeah Larry, regardless of what driver they choose the phase and frequency response is corrected to a very high level. And any of those drivers can have amplitude correction allowing a crossover point to the lower woofers to be right at 200Hz.

LarryB

« Reply #135 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:31 pm »
Thanks!

mojave

« Reply #136 on: 12 Dec 2012, 06:21 pm »
That would be easier for implementation.

The DAC's I have been working on do not use the ESS DAC chip.  I do not like the way the ESS DAC's sound. 

Will let everyone hear this idea and decide for themselves.   
I realize this is off topic, but I just saw that there is a new review here at Audiocircle of an exaSound E20 DAC. It is the two channel version of what I posted earlier.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #137 on: 12 Dec 2012, 06:42 pm »
Intersting, but I think we can do better for $2500.00 for the DAC's.   :D

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #138 on: 13 Dec 2012, 02:01 pm »
Intersting, but I think we can do better for $2500.00 for the DAC's.
obvious next question is:  what's the list of candidates?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #139 on: 13 Dec 2012, 03:05 pm »
Something I built.  This is going to be fun!  :D