CIAudio at RMAF 2008

CIAudio

CIAudio at RMAF 2008
« on: 9 Sep 2008, 10:16 pm »
For those of you attending the RMAF, we will be displaying in room 502.

Our system will consist of the following:

Wadia 170i Transport (iPod dock) with CIAudio VDC-9.0 Upgrade Power Supply
CIAudio VDA-2 DAC/VAC-1 Upgrade Power Supply
CIAudio PLC-1 MKII Passive Preamp with remote
CIAudio D-500 MKII Class D Monoblocks (500w per channel)
LS-6 Focus Line Source Loudspeakers (from AV123)

Come hear the "iPod on steroids", you'll be amazed!

mcullinan

Re: CIAudio at RMAF 2008
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2008, 10:55 pm »
Dusty,
Are the 500watt monoblocks the same as last year or have they been updated/modified?
Thanks
Mike

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2008, 02:43 pm »
Dusty,
Are the 500watt monoblocks the same as last year or have they been updated/modified?
Thanks
Mike

Last year we had prototype D-500's, this year we'll have production models with all the latest improvements/refinements.

JEaton

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:23 am »
Come hear the "iPod on steroids", you'll be amazed!

Where are the steroids?  I thought the Wadia dock thing just pipes S/PDIF directly from a pin on the iPod connector out to an RCA jack on the back.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2008, 04:06 am »
Where are the steroids?  I thought the Wadia dock thing just pipes S/PDIF directly from a pin on the iPod connector out to an RCA jack on the back.

There is no S/PDIF signal at the iPod dock connector. Wadia has designed a proprietary circuit to output S/PDIF.

The "steroids" are provided by 500w per channel feeding 6ft Line Arrays.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 01:48 pm by CIAudio »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2008, 04:11 am »
Where are the steroids?  I thought the Wadia dock thing just pipes S/PDIF directly from a pin on the iPod connector out to an RCA jack on the back./quote]

There is no S/PDIF signal at the iPod dock connector. Wadia has designed a proprietary circuit to output S/PDIF.

SICK!!!  :thumb:

See ya' there. Comin' from Camarillo. Look forward to listening!

Have fun,
Jerry

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2008, 05:29 am »
Hello Dusty...

Sounds like a nice setup again.....but....
will you also have a Cd player for those that have their own music ?

See you in Denver..... :beer:

Chris

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:16 pm »
Hello Dusty...

See you in Denver.....

Chris

No CD player this year...maybe you can bring an iPod with the RAVE reference tracks? 
I look forward to havin a beer with you :D

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:41 pm »
Hello Dusty...

See you in Denver.....

Chris

No CD player this year...maybe you can bring an iPod with the RAVE reference tracks? 
I look forward to havin a beer with you :D

BEER!!!!!  Count me in for a Sam Adams or two!!!

Cheers
                                       Charlie

rockit

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:00 pm »

Strange I thought one of the most interesting features of the previous (since last tuesday) iPod Classic was to be able to just output "raw" digital audio data... as it is explained in this article... maybe no s/pdif but it uses a digital out...
http://www.stereophile.com/news/010408wadia/

But I guess it's just like if the ipod is beeing used as a standard hard drive, the authentication process enabling an external device to access ipod's internal database/music over the dock connector... really cool...

JEaton

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:49 pm »

My bad.  Apparently it gets a USB stream from the iPod and outputs S/PDIF.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=pcaudio&n=36522

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2008, 07:18 pm »
I just want to thank everyone who stopped by to see us at the show. The D500's sounded great and drive the sh*t out of the LS6's. Many people commented the system sounded better than the LS9's being driven by $40k amps.  :D
Now I have to finish my beer and get on the plane back to Cali. As always, it was great to see and meet so many AC members!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2008, 03:23 am »
Dusty....

What happened to my beer ?  :scratch: :jester:

It was a nice visit to your room....and it did sound good. I was not sure about the iPod  source before my visit....but it worked out well at RMAF. The D-500's were a good match for the LS-6's.....their nice amps. 8)

I enjoyed our chat.....thanks again... :beer:

Chris

CIAudio

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2008, 05:26 am »
Hey Chris,

Thanks for stopping by...always a pleasure to chat with you guys.
We talked about it and decided next year we need a larger display room, and also a big tub full of iced Sam Adams. Thanks again for the CD...haven't got a chance to listen yet but I'm sure there's some choice stuff on there.

CIAudio

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2008, 06:04 pm »
Lonewolf strikes the usual pose at RMAF. He felt uncomfortable without anything in his "beer hand", so he substituted an Audio Fest show guide (maybe that's why he's not smiling).

knut_the_viking

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:30 pm »
Lonewolf strikes the usual pose at RMAF. He felt uncomfortable without anything in his "beer hand", so he substituted an Audio Fest show guide (maybe that's why he's not smiling).

I rather like that audio rack, by the way...

CIAudio

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2008, 09:30 pm »
We work closely with Billy Bags Design (they are only a few miles from us). This is one of the custom racks we had made. They also made custom racks for our showroom and we're now designing a matching bar.
If you need a custom rack, just let us know...we can design something just for you!

knut_the_viking

« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:55 pm »
We work closely with Billy Bags Design (they are only a few miles from us). This is one of the custom racks we had made. They also made custom racks for our showroom and we're now designing a matching bar.
If you need a custom rack, just let us know...we can design something just for you!

That's not a bad idea. I am convinced that the wife would enjoy a piece of custom designed furniture, as I would enjoy the usefulness. Custom designed by her, that is.
I myself am only a few miles from you both, and I used to work in Ventura (Victoria/Olivas Park). Maybe it's time to go visit Billy Bags Design.

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2008, 12:28 am »
The D500 mkII was mighty impressive. I'm not a big fan of LS6 but it sounded better than ever with Dusty's electronics. Dusty was kind enough to really explain the D500 design concept and details to me, thanks Dusty I appreciate it. It has a lot of innovations above and beyond D200. Overall the demo sounded very smooth, detailed, and authoritative. Hardly even warm, no fins, smallish footprint. Impressive!  :thumb: