SoundScape 10/12 (HT4) design finalized

martyo

Re: SoundScape 10/12 (HT4) design finalized
« Reply #100 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:14 pm »
The rear opening of the midrange
cabinet is considerably short of the rear of the bass module.  So you would get some added information and soundstaging depth even if the bottom cabinet were close to the wall.  But it would be better if you bought a new house. 

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #101 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:32 pm »
Oh, sure, it's funny until someone loses an eye, er sale! :duh:

Can you eek those bass modules out 12" or so?

titaniumhead

« Reply #102 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:09 pm »
only if I put wheels under them. This is what I am stuck with, they would replace the S6 speakers and would be limited to the rug for the front of the speakers. room is 14 x 18, speakers along 18 foot wall.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #103 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:15 pm »
That looks like enough.  How much wood is showing there?  Those bass modules are about 30 inches as a guess.  Jim or Dennis can measure one.

Is that a dog bed on the left?

srb

« Reply #104 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:16 pm »
...would be limited to the rug for the front of the speakers...

I would think that any speaker would benefit by being forward of the equipment rack, even if it were only 6".

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #105 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:20 pm »
No one will deny you, titaniumhead.  Pick them up, take plenty of pictures and keep us posted as to how they sound.  :thumb:  I look forward to it!

titaniumhead

« Reply #106 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:56 pm »
If the SS10 is 7" deeper than the HT3 that would put them about 22" deep which would leave me 6" from the back wall and 4" in front of the entertainment center. That would be pushing it to touching the rug.

jsalk

« Reply #107 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:10 pm »
Well that is my problem. I have no choice but to slam them up against a rear wall. Depending on the depth of the SS10 the most I will have is 28" from the back wall to the front of the speaker. At least I will have 4 feet from the sides of the speakers to the walls.And please dont suggest another speaker might work better in my situation. I have been saving my money ever since I heard them at the lincoln city audiofest and now can purchase them and I will not be denied.

If you have 28" from the front of the speaker to the rear wall, you would end up with 5" of free space behind the woofer cabinets.  Since they are not rear ported (like the HT3's), it doesn't seem to me that this would be a major problem.  I can certainly move my prototypes to 5" from the rear walls and check them out for you.

Dennis does point out that the rear wave of the mirange would benefit from additional space.  But the rear of the top section would still be 15" from the rear wall.  This, too, may be workable.  At worst case, you could experiment with additional acoustic stuffing to control the amount of backwave information, or even use the hard grill to create a psuedo-sealed midrange section.

We are faced with sitautions like this all the time.  Many owners simply don't have the option of dealing with speaker setup in a totally optimum fashion.  But in any given case, the same limitations apply to any speaker.  So we do the best we can.  And in most cases, owners are more than satisfied with the results. 

In this situation, the SoundScape 10's would certainly be a better fit than rear ported HT3's where you would only have 13" from the rear of the speaker to the rear wall.  While not totally optimum, I think you would be OK and I suspect the SoundScapes would outperform anything else you could fit in this space.

Of course, that's just my 2-cents worth...

- Jim 

titaniumhead

« Reply #108 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:18 pm »
Thanks for the comments Jim. If you do get the chance to move them close to the wall I would be interested in how much the sound is compromised, but like you said I will have to deal with it.

coke

« Reply #109 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:36 pm »
This thread is making me question my current plans.    :scratch:

I had planned on finishing up my home theater by getting a center and surrounds to match my HT2-TLs, along with processing, amplification, and 2 or 3 subs.

Since I got my salk speakers though, i find myself spending more time listening to music than watching movies.  Also the HT2-TLs provide a very strong center image along with nice bass for movies, so I don't feel that I'm missing all that much for casual movie watching.

Today I had some time to kill, and I started adding some things together.   If i sold my HT2-TLs  :bawl: , and combined that with the money I had planned to spend to complete everything, I could easily afford a pair of soundscapes. Plus, I already have plenty of amplifcation.   

Just thinking out loud  :dunno:

Nuance

« Reply #110 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:13 pm »
^ Saaaaweeeeeeeeeeet!  :D

K Shep

« Reply #111 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:52 pm »

I had planned on finishing up my home theater by getting a center and surrounds to match my HT2-TLs, along with processing, amplification, and 2 or 3 subs.

Since I got my salk speakers though, i find myself spending more time listening to music than watching movies.  Also the HT2-TLs provide a very strong center image along with nice bass for movies, so I don't feel that I'm missing all that much for casual movie watching.

Today I had some time to kill, and I started adding some things together.   If i sold my HT2-TLs  :bawl: , and combined that with the money I had planned to spend to complete everything, I could easily afford a pair of soundscapes. Plus, I already have plenty of amplifcation.   

It's interesting to watch upgraditus take a hold of someone.  Especially when I am in the middle of my own case of the affliction.

vintagebob

« Reply #112 on: 15 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm »
It's interesting to watch upgraditus take a hold of someone.  Especially when I am in the middle of my own case of the affliction.

No more GTGs for you!  :nono:

:green:

Stylus

« Reply #113 on: 15 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm »

I am still amazed at how much great music there is out there and how much of it I have still not discovered.  On the flip side I have a hard time finding movie's I could care less about.

:icon_twisted:

K Shep

« Reply #114 on: 15 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm »

I'll send you photos of the new toys as soon as they arrive...hint....hint  :wink:

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #115 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:24 pm »
Coke,

I have been thinking along the same line.  I have been juggling figures to see how I can afford the SS10. :eyebrows:

mathgeek97

« Reply #116 on: 16 Mar 2010, 12:23 am »

But you know, when you get your SoundScapes built, you'll have to pick a really cool veneer.  'Cause let's face it, if you don't outdo your HT2-TLs, everybody will be disappointed!   :thumb:  Start shopping NOW! :)

Nuance

« Reply #117 on: 16 Mar 2010, 12:43 am »

LMAO!  :lol:

coke

« Reply #118 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:16 am »

I thought I had learned my lesson.  I used to really be into car audio.  I was adding a new piece of equipment almost monthly.  I finally learned to just get "the good stuff" and be done with it. 

When searching for speakers, I had decided on Songtowers, and emotiva gear or possibly upping my budget to include AVA insight.

I thought back to my car audio days, and decided to step up to HT2-TLs as well as AVA Ultra gear.

I don't regret any of the purchases at all, but knowing better sound is only a few $$$ away is tempting. 

But you know, when you get your SoundScapes built, you'll have to pick a really cool veneer.  'Cause let's face it, if you don't outdo your HT2-TLs, everybody will be disappointed!   :thumb:  Start shopping NOW! :)

I bought enough veneer to do a center and surrounds.  There could possibly be enough to clone my HT2-TLs, but I'd have to talk to Jim.

Coke,

I have been thinking along the same line.  I have been juggling figures to see how I can afford the SS10. :eyebrows:

Those are the ones that would fit within my current budget, but the SS12 are only a few $$$ away   :lol:

taoggniklat

« Reply #119 on: 16 Mar 2010, 03:43 pm »
I will just get ready for all the used HT2-TL's that will come on the market once the Soundscapes are out.  :)