Birch Acoustics

GT Audio Works

Re: Birch Acoustics
« Reply #20 on: 6 May 2014, 04:00 pm »
A good driver of its type.

Whatever the views on the driver, I for one am simply glad that there is another small loudspeaker manufacturer out there. Good luck to them.
Agreed !!

GT Audio Works

« Reply #21 on: 6 May 2014, 04:26 pm »
Your link goes to the wholesale Parts Express site, requiring a log-in.

How about this:
http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1808-8-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-894

Steve
Called PE..they helped me fix the issue..it was on my end...I am a computer idiot for sure !!

happyrabbit

Raven
« Reply #22 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:04 am »
removed

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2016, 03:56 pm by happyrabbit »

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2016, 04:00 pm »
Why do all the online comments / reviews have these speakers at $7500, yet the mfr sells them direct at $2750?      :scratch:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649317115-sale-birch-acoustics-raven-fullrange-speaker-silver-flute-edition/

Going out of business sale?

happyrabbit

« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2016, 02:05 am »
removed
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2016, 03:56 pm by happyrabbit »

sunnydaze

« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2016, 02:51 pm »
Is it a cheaper / inferior driver to what was in the original $7500 Raven?

At only $160 total for the drivers,  seems like an awfully big markup for cabinets and profit margin.

happyrabbit

« Reply #26 on: 16 Dec 2016, 06:23 am »
removed
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2016, 03:57 pm by happyrabbit »

Folsom

« Reply #27 on: 16 Dec 2016, 06:40 am »

At only $160 total for the drivers,  seems like an awfully big markup for cabinets and profit margin.

I can't wait for you to say that after you've made stacked plywood cabinets like that, and then tried to make a living off of it...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:53 am »
The ferrite magnet Silver Flutes and his Ribbon tweeter companion are nice drivers for the price, but there is better drivers at more price-much more w/neo magnet.
At this incredible price hard to beat the Flutes, its on Madisound since 2003/4 at the same low price.

sunnydaze

« Reply #29 on: 16 Dec 2016, 01:51 pm »
I can't wait for you to say that after you've made stacked plywood cabinets like that, and then tried to make a living off of it...

Just asking the question, my friend.      :roll:

Are you his business partner?

Folsom

« Reply #30 on: 16 Dec 2016, 05:23 pm »
No

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #31 on: 16 Dec 2016, 09:57 pm »

the same can be said for virtually every manufactured speaker available.

beowulf

« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2016, 11:13 pm »
The speaker cabinets are beautiful, you can definitely see that a lot of thought, work and detail has gone into them.  It would interesting to see how they would perform with a better driver something like AER or Voxativ.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #33 on: 17 Dec 2016, 03:01 pm »
My Brines Acoustics M18-F200 (floor standing single driver speakers) cost $1525 at the time (American hand made) and used $750 worth of drivers.  (The extra $25 was for the commissioning fee.)  Note that Bob Brines works by himself out of his garage.

The Birch Acoustic speakers do use a very elaborate, labor intensive, and inefficient design concept which would justify use of high quality drivers.

G.Michael

« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2016, 02:50 am »
I had a pair of the "Finch":

http://www.birchacoustics.com/filterless_fullrange_004.htm

Beautiful workmanship.  Certainly could be called an "artisanal" speaker, with a really sweet sound.  So I think that worrying about driver quality kinda misses the point.  I did find the driver listed on Parts Express, I don't recall the model, but I do recall that it is nothing special.  The speaker cabinet and the binding posts (more clamps than posts, actually) clearly are a labor of love.  Also, the shipping crate for these little speakers is a hand-built wooden crate that weighs a lot more than do the speakers.

I sent a picture of the speakers to a buddy of mine, and he immediately wanted them  Having no real need for them, I sold them to him.  He has them in his office, and drives them with one of the Naim Uniti pieces.

Still have some pics:

beowulf

« Reply #35 on: 19 Dec 2016, 09:14 am »
I had a pair of the "Finch":

http://www.birchacoustics.com/filterless_fullrange_004.htm

Beautiful workmanship.  Certainly could be called an "artisanal" speaker, with a really sweet sound.  So I think that worrying about driver quality kinda misses the point.  I did find the driver listed on Parts Express, I don't recall the model, but I do recall that it is nothing special.  The speaker cabinet and the binding posts (more clamps than posts, actually) clearly are a labor of love.  Also, the shipping crate for these little speakers is a hand-built wooden crate that weighs a lot more than do the speakers.

I sent a picture of the speakers to a buddy of mine, and he immediately wanted them  Having no real need for them, I sold them to him.  He has them in his office, and drives them with one of the Naim Uniti pieces.

Still have some pics:

Those are really beautiful, not a bad price either.  My only complaint would be that the specs don't look efficient enough for me to use my tube amps with.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2016, 09:51 am »
This lateral BR duct is very good to help form a central soundstage.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2016, 04:58 pm »
This lateral BR duct is very good to help form a central soundstage.

Really?

G.Michael

« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2016, 02:47 am »
Those are really beautiful, not a bad price either.  My only complaint would be that the specs don't look efficient enough for me to use my tube amps with.

Yeah, I doubt that they'd do well with low wattage.  My gut feeling says that they'd do okay with a 6BQ5 push-pull amp (with 15 substantial watts per channel), but not much less than that.  Plus, they're inherently warm-sounding, so good-quality solid state does make a good match.  I now have a Virtue Audio Sensation integrated amp with a substantial power supply upgrade, which kinda makes me wish I'd kept the speakers.

Bob_Brines

« Reply #39 on: 23 Dec 2016, 04:03 am »
My Brines Acoustics M18-F200 (floor standing single driver speakers) cost $1525 at the time (American hand made) and used $750 worth of drivers.  (The extra $25 was for the commissioning fee.)  Note that Bob Brines works by himself out of his garage.

Just saw this. I am a bit more proud of my work these days. If you look at my posted prices and do the math, you will see that I charge $1000 over costs for a pair of floor-standers. But you get free shipping! Oh, yeah, shipping is part of my costs, isn't it. For what it's worth, I do sell a half a dozen sets a year.

It's a funny thing about audio gear. Once I bumped my profit from $500 to $1000, my unit sales actually increased. Seems that customers take a $2500 speaker more seriously than a $1500 speaker.

Bob