mini mac with BP25 DA

zied

mini mac with BP25 DA
« on: 5 Jan 2008, 08:45 pm »
Hello everybody,

I am thinking about using an apple mini mac computer as a transport with my Bryston BP25 da pre-amplifier. To do so I will be using a USB-to-S/PDIF Converter such as the "HagUsb" (http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html). I have got this idea after reading a review in 6moons suggesting that such as combination gives great results. What is your opinion on this solution compared to a nice cd transport.

Thank you very much for your help.

My system consists of Bryston BP25 da, 4BSST and PMC IB2

pantone172

Re: mini mac with BP25 DA
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:19 pm »
I don't have this set up but i heard it sounds fantastic. you might also consider a Trends UD-10 USB Audio Converter or perhaps a squeezebox

gaderson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2008, 08:24 pm »
Hello everybody,

I am thinking about using an apple mini mac computer as a transport with my Bryston BP25 da pre-amplifier. To do so I will be using a USB-to-S/PDIF Converter such as the "HagUsb" (http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html). I have got this idea after reading a review in 6moons suggesting that such as combination gives great results. What is your opinion on this solution compared to a nice cd transport.

Thank you very much for your help.

My system consists of Bryston BP25 da, 4BSST and PMC IB2

If it's an Intel mini it already has digital out, so I don't understand the need for a USB audio card. But, the trick is you'll need an optical to coax converter since the mini is the minijack toslink connector and only the BP16 has optical inputs. But in the end if a converter is more expensive, or if it's an older G4 then yes the HagUSB looks like a good solution.
This is the one thing that's annoying about having the two S/PDIF connectors/standards, you get stuck having to convert from one to the other, but, maybe just get a de-jitter box to do the conversion.

niels

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2008, 08:45 pm »
A little bit related maybe. I have all my music as Lossless on my computer, and using a wireless router it is sent to my Squeezebox 3.
Here I take the digital signal and feed it to my B-100 DA.
Off course, with the Squeezebox you also have access to the whole worlds radio stations.
Logitec now upgraded the Squeezebox concept, they have taken the display off the main unit, and put it on the remote. This new remote can also be used with older models Squeezeboxes.
You can also get a wireless keyboard for your Mac if you want, but I guess you need a screen also to see what you are doing......

zied

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2008, 07:46 pm »
Thank you very much for your comments.
I found the idea of using the new squeezebox duet very very interesting. Niels, may I have your comments on the quality of the sound you get from your setting? How does it compare to cd transports you have used?
Thanks

muski

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2008, 05:27 am »
My system is BP25DA/4B SST/Watt Puupy 7s.  I have had a Slimdevices player plugged into the BP25DA since the day I bought it three years ago.  It is a wonderful setup -- so great, in fact, that I never even bothered to plug-in a CD transport.

There are a number of advantages to an SB3 over a mac mini.  First, the SB3 has digital coax out, so no need to convert from optical.  Second, the display and remote on the SB3 are very nice -- I like to be able to look up at my system and see the song information at a glance from across the room.  Third, having the music server in another room is nice, as even the mac mini has a fan and a hard disk that are audible in quiet rooms (btw, the mac mini is an ideal Slimdevices server).  Fourth, the Slimdevices community has created all kinds of plug-ins and add-ons that invariably prove to be useful (like mplayer for playing AAC Plus streams, or inguz audio for digital room correction, or iPeng, a Slimdevices remote for the iPhone/iTouch.)

Slimdevices also has 30-day money back trial period.

muski

niels

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2008, 07:11 pm »
A comment from me. I can honestly say I havent used a cd player since I got the Squeezebox 2 years ago !
I havent compared to any high end transports since I simply dont need one, but lossless is lossless, and the sound depends solely on the dac.
If you are into higher end transports and cd players you might find you could save mega bucks with a NAS and a SB3, or, if you prefer, the 24/96 capable Transporter, which will give even better results. It has a killer dac.
The sound I get is of course with the Bryston signature since I use the dac in the B100, and I must say, what a dac that is.
All my music is ripped with Apple Lossless in ITunes, with error correction switched on, and I have yet to hear a glitch.