Front vs. Rear USB ports + Flash Drives vs. Hard Drives

bjski

Re: Front vs. Rear USB ports + Flash Drives vs. Hard Drives
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:33 am »
For which product did you get the HDPLEX?

Legacy Walet Preamp.

Marius

« Reply #81 on: 31 Jul 2017, 06:37 am »
Hi Marius,

I've taken a look at my flash drives, hard drives, and the hub.

I've used both USB 3.0 and 2.0 for both the flash drives and the hard drives. The hub is USB 2.0.

Can you confirm whether the Jitterbug is working at all? Try plugging it to the BDP-1 with a flash drive attached or with a USB output from a computer to a BDA. Or if you have a big external drive, try connecting that to the BDP-1 as well via the Jitterbug. If all of those work, then it might be the USB hub.

I do remember that the Jitterbug limits the performance of USB 3.0 to USB 2.0. Although, I didn't think it would completely block it. Let's make sure that the device is actually working. If it's not working, get a refund ASAP. If it is, I'd contact Audioquest for help. Also, I'm using stock Belkin Gold USB cables. They meet the spec quite well. I've had USB and HDMI cables that worked in some setups, but not others. Maybe if you have a different A to B USB cable, that could also be worth a try.

Let's figure out if the things works at all, and if so, in which scenarios.

EDIT: Just read: "My ancient Macbook Pro has no issues reading the usb3 drive through the jitterbug."

Okay, so the thing works. Try connecting one external powered drive without the hub and see if that works. Either it's the hub itself or the USB A to B master output cable in the hub.

Its the HUB. Very peculiar. All lights are on, with in the Hub and the drives. The drives spin, as does the dvd drive, but none of them can be read. :scratch: somehow the hub got toasted. luckily theres still a year of warranty on that....

Does make one wonder.

Cheers,
Marius

zoom25

« Reply #82 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:26 pm »

Its the HUB. Very peculiar. All lights are on, with in the Hub and the drives. The drives spin, as does the dvd drive, but none of them can be read. :scratch: somehow the hub got toasted. luckily theres still a year of warranty on that....

Does make one wonder.

Cheers,
Marius

Yeah that sucks about the USB hub. At least you know now. Hope it all works out for you.